FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

ICT -V- Gretna : matchday thread

Scotty

Rory took his goal well, should have stayed on for the 90mins IMO to give him a full match however did seem to start to lack interest before he was taken off

commentators seemed to think he was perhaps struggling with an injury just before being taken off ......

That would explain his lack of interest towards the end of his game.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wadsworth says...

"It's been a bad week, we've lost a couple of players - Kissock and Baldacchino," he said.

"We've got so little variation just now, and this has been a poor day, but I'm not being critical of the players.

"Today is hopefully just a major blip in this run of games because we've done really well recently and we've still got two to play."

Wadsworth admitted a long journey was the last thing administration-hit Gretna wanted after a week when John-Paul Kissock returned to Everton and Ryan Baldacchino moved to Australia.

"Preparation wasn't great for the game," he added. "It was about 7-7:30 we were at the ground, we didn't stop for a meal and we had to eat on the bus, but the microwave wouldn't work. Cold lasagne - so the preparation was poor.

"I don't want to make excuses because I thought Inverness were terrific.

"Having said that, I thought the first goal was scandalous - it was at least three metres offside, it wasn't even marginal - but there's nothing we can do about that.

"I thought we might have had a penalty in the first half, which would have made it a better game."

Brewster says...

Craig Brewster is aiming for two more wins to secure Inverness Caledonian Thistle's best-ever points total in the Scottish Premier League.

"We have had a not too bad season," the manager told BBC Sport after the 6-1 hammering of Gretna on Saturday.

"If we win our next two games, we will probably have the most points we have ever had in the Premier League.

"Seven defeats on the bounce knocked us back. If we did not have that, who knows where we would have been?"

Brewster, whose side sit ninth, believes that he can improve their position next term.

"We are not far away and have a really good squad," he said.

"One or two will come in and one or two will leave, but I have to create a good environment for these guys to flourish."

Brewster was delighted the thrashing of the SPL's already-relegated side.

"It's always pleasing to score six goals with six different scorers," he said.

First ever 6 in the SPL. On a cautious note, Gretna was the source of 12 points this year. I cannot see Hamilton giving us that many next year.

Shouldn't matter so long as we take the chances and the points from all the teams in the league. Something we weren't good at this season.Two more wins, a good break for the boys and a good pre-season then out with all guns blazing next time.

Guest Mahonio

:001: :001: :001: :001: I predicted a 5-0 victory for us in the Gretna team thread so i was not far off.  I also hope fellow fans might stop slamming McAllister after scoring today.

Shocking to concede a goal to that muck, Get Brewster out NOW! :rotflmao:

Nah well played today, Gretna haveat least tried to keep the leagues integrity going despite their troubles. A 6-1 gubbing is probably not really what they need but well done to ICT for a professional job!

Nothing like a game such as todays to put a smile back on your face.  Ok so Gretna weren't all that, but they never stopped trying for the 90 minutes, despite never looking like they were going to take anything from this game and all our goals were well taken.

Zibi - Just a pity we never got  to see more of him this season based on this afternoons performance.  He barely put a hand/foot wrong and despite the goal (which he got a hand to) he was solid and I hope Fraser was watching how a good keeper distributes the ball quickly to allow us to catch opponents on the hop and keep the momentum going.  The vast majority of the time he was getting the quick throw to a player instead of hoofing it up the park in the hope of us winning it in a scramble.

Tokely - As I said after the Killie game, he's back to his best now he has Wilson playing in front of him and apart from missing the header that led to us losing the first goal he was immense through the whole game.  Was one of my 2 nominations for MotM.

Proctor - Did what he had to do and did it well which is what you want from a centre back.  Covered well for Tokely when he was pushing forward and even got involved a bit in the middle of the park when it came to mixing things up and breaking down the few forward drives Gretna looked to mount.

Hastings - Didn't do anything which made him stand out (good or bad) but his inability to turn with the ball and only able to pass in the direction he was facing when he received it made me cringe a few times.  May sound harsh considering he never forked anything up or conceded anything stupid but against better opposition we might have been punished more for it.

McBain - Proved again today that he is far more effective when not played on the left wing.  A good solid performance.

Wilson - Proved today why he is worthy of at least another year on his contract.  You'd have been forgiven for thinking he was 10 years younger by the way he ran the wing today and his goal was "text book Wilson".  Burst down the wing, shakes off the opposition, cuts inside and picks out his spot before drilling it home with so much pace that despite the keeper reading it he never had a chance to get to it.  The other of my 2 nominations for MotM.

Cowie - Set up the first and scored one for himself, but other than that I wouldn't be chalking this up as one of his best performances for us and it must have been his mother that was choosing todays MotM.

Black - Had a quiet game IMO and stuck to the simple stuff like getting a foot on the ball and playing it off safely either forward or to wide players.  Think my opinion might be a little tinted by the fact that we're used to at least some drama from Blacks direction and when you don't get it then it feels as if you've somehow been cheated of a little controversy to dig your teeth in to...lol.

Imrie - How I would love to see him playing wide left in a 5 man midfield where he might get more opportunity to pick up a ball and run at the defence.  Still a little rough around the edges but learning fast and always looks dangerous when he gets up a head of steam with the ball at his feet...I think we might have found a younger, left sided, Barry Wilson.

McAllister - Probably the best performance we've seen from him since the Celtic game where he had the blinder.  Still needs to do work on his speed and jumping as his close control is pretty good.  I've knocked him for his lack of "striker instinct" in the past, but he was on hand to knock home the ball from the rebound so all credit there.

Niculae - It became apparent early on that Gretna were going to try and mark Niculae out of the game and credit has to be given where it's due.  He had 2 men on him the entire game and instead of constantly dragging them in to the area with him, whenever McAllister was in the middle Niculae dragged his markers away from the action creating a bit more space.

Subs....hard to comment on these guys when they get so little time on the field, but all of them came on, slotted well into the setup and I don't think Kerr or Vigurs would have any trouble holding their own if given a little more time on the park.  Great goal by Vigurs and I'm sure it will do his confidence the world of good.  With us sitting so comfortable I thought Brew might have made the changes a lot sooner.....but hard to criticise when you've walked away 6-1 winners.

Agree with everything Hislopsoffsideagain posted. Spot on with every word there. For those listening into the radio the 5th ICT goal came from a corner from Vigurs and not Kerr as the radio guys said. Idiots.

Wilsons goal was terrific. I was already standing up to applaud long before the ball flew past Fleming. I tried a shot like that on Thursday night and it went out for a throw in. Great piece of skill from Bazza. Chippers goal was awesome too. Totally focused on the ball as it fell to him and Vigurs - take a boo son - belter of a finish. Well done lad!

NOTE TO BREWSTER - See what happens we we pass the ball? None of this long ball guff from ICT next season please. Might have been a team more demoralised than Owen Wilson but we took them apart at times. Our final goal was superb patient, build up play. Herded into the corner we kept the ball and passed it about before Vigurs got the opening to shoot for goal. More of the same please lads  :003:

Good point about Niculae there - I was a bit critical of him during the game itself but you're right, you'd have thought that one of the centre-backs was his siamese twin considering how close he was all the time.  It was a frustrating game for him and you could see that in his body language later on, but clearly Gretna had learnt their lesson from the run around he gave them in January.  And goodness knows you could drive buses through the space that was created by the way Marius dragged the defenders around.

East win for ICT eventually.  Credit to Gretna in the first half as they tried to play football and took the game to us at times.  We scored early and were cruising at 2-0, when Gretna delivered a great ball into the box and the big lad nodded it past Zibi, no fault of the keeper, decent ball, decent touch with the head, decent goal.  Second half we pretty much totally dominated and the more the game went on, the more likely we were to score, ripping them open with swift counter attacks against a tiring Gretna defence.  Vigurs goal was the pick of the bunch for me.  Intricate passing and movement on the left touchline led to the Gretna defenders being led a merry dance and when the ball eventually was crossed into the box Vigurs was on hand to slam a ferocious volley past a luckless Fleming from twelve yards maybe.  Well done Ian, great way to score your first SPL goal.  Bazza's goal was also a cracker, cutting inside, looking up, and from twenty yards picked his spot and delivered a hammer blow past the keepers right hand, great goal.  Rory did well to turn the rebound into the goal and Imrie finished off a lighting break by Cowie, great start for us.  Cowie also finished well with a controlled volley from a left wing cross and Rossco was well chuffed to score with a header.  We looked like scoring every time we ventured forward as the game went on and the scoreline was no surprise, but you have to be in it to win it as they say, and we eventually did that in style.  Quiet day at the office for Marius, and he never troubled the scorers, he maybe should have bagged a brace.  Zibi did well and his distribution was first class as mentioned before.  Bayne did well in the short time he was on, hassling and stealing the ball off the tiring Gretna defenders and winning balls in the air.

MoM.......Wilson Tokely or Imrie, who is very raw, but there is plenty of scope for him to blossom in the SPL.

Well, overall it wans't the best game I've ever seen, but you can't complain with six goals.  Anyway, here's my Smileyometer:

Zibi -  :015: :015: :015: - Not bad when called upon.

Tokely -  :015: :015: :015: :015: - Good and scored a good goal.

Hastings -  :015: :015: :015: - Didn't have much to do but did well when needed.

Proctor -  :015: :015: :015: - Same as Hastings really, not bad when needed.

McBain -  :015: :015: :015: - Played well at left back.

Wilson -  :015: :015: :015: :015: - Played very well and scored a great goal.

Black -  :015: :015: - Didn't see much of him today, but was very close with one shot.

Cowie -  :015: :015: :015: :015: - Played well, but I still think that he's better as a winger.

Imrie -  :015: :015: :015: :015: :015: - Played really well, good goal, good crossing and my man of the match.

Niculae -  :015: - Not good at all today.

McAllister -  :015: :015: :015: :015: - Played pretty well today and scored a nice goal.

Subs:

Bayne -  :015: :015: :015: - Played fairly well when he came on.

Vigurs -  :015: :015: :015: - Scored a great goal and I was really impressed, seeing him for the first time.

Kerr -  :015: :015: :015: - Quite good when he came on.

Ref - Brynes -  :015: :015: :015: - Not too bad but a bit whistle happy.

Pie -  :015: :015: :015: - Okay

Crowd -  :015: :015: - A bit quiet today, except for the goals.

That was Marius Abuse  :018:

CaleyD Niculae - It became apparent early on that Gretna were going to try and mark Niculae out of the game and credit has to be given where it's due.  He had 2 men on him the entire game and instead of constantly dragging them in to the area with him, whenever McAllister was in the middle Niculae dragged his markers away from the action creating a bit more space.

Marius defence.  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Good point about Niculae there - I was a bit critical of him during the game itself but you're right, you'd have thought that one of the centre-backs was his siamese twin considering how close he was all the time.  It was a frustrating game for him and you could see that in his body language later on, but clearly Gretna had learnt their lesson from the run around he gave them in January.  And goodness knows you could drive buses through the space that was created by the way Marius dragged the defenders around.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: I hope he doesnt face Gretna defenders at the Euros. OR IS HE PISSED AT NOT GOING ??  :023:

wow!!

what a game!!

enjoyed it so much!!

who would of predicted the score!!

hospitality was amazing!!!!!!!!!!

met loads of players and got a pic with Brewster, Fraser, Cowie, Imrie, Wilson!!

and loads of signatures!!

:021: :021: :021: :021: :021: :021: :021: :021:!!

Glad you had a good time yesterday!  Last time I was at hospitality was for my 15th birthday and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  I was nearly given hospitality seats for yesterday's game as an early birthday present too!  Unfortunately someone called in sick for work so I had to stay until cover came in.  Missed the game  :009:

BREWSTER"We have had a not too bad season," the manager told BBC Sport after the 6-1 hammering of Gretna on Saturday.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Win our next two games and we better our best ever points total.

BREWSTER"We have had a not too bad season," the manager told BBC Sport after the 6-1 hammering of Gretna on Saturday.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Win our next two games and we better our best ever points total.

Had this discussion last night and did we not end a season on the 55/56 point mark, making us 3rd on points, but obviously we couldn't be higher than 7th?

Brew is having a laugh??

Good season???? I'd hate to have a bad season under Brew... :029:

And best ever points tally?? CC got 58 points, Brews got 42 so far...

As well as being clueless he cant count... Good appointment well done ICT  :clapping03: