FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

BBC Alba

davieB

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think it is about time we got our own language on the tele, the Welsh have had it for years so we should also, i wish i was fluent in the gaelic but i'm not however i'm learning it at the moment.

i also think gaelic should be taught in schools all over Scotland, the local council in Renfrewshire are running free classes for adults.

Hey...i dont blame ya. Could then Try and land yerself a lucrative job for a language thats dying on its feet

Guest couchpotato

Any one know what time the games i on for deff? Planning on not finding out score and watching it at night

Acording to the EPG there is "Spors" on Saturday evening from 19.30-2200 and just says join the house team for SPL90 and Magners 80 presumably highlights of both fitba and rugby, also a 30 min "spors" prog before it with SPL august highlights

keep an eye on this link as programing should be getting listed soon with testprogs are now being broadcast and start proper on Friday....

Click here for more info

Edited by couchpotato

i think it is about time we got our own language on the tele, the Welsh have had it for years so we should also, i wish i was fluent in the gaelic but i'm not however i'm learning it at the moment.

i also think gaelic should be taught in schools all over Scotland, the local council in Renfrewshire are running free classes for adults.

Hey...i dont blame ya. Could then Try and land yerself a lucrative job for a language thats dying on its feet

Dying on its feet????

Gaelic Medium Education

"You?ll find Gaelic-medium education in 63 primary schools (2007-08 session), including the Glasgow and Inverness Gaelic Schools. There?s also more and more education in Gaelic at pre-school, in secondary schools and in further education.

Ooo I can't wait for this then. Lookin forward to the channel starting too seeing as i'm studyin gaelic at uni just now :thumb04: One of my friends is presenting the weather of the channel when it starts :rotflmao:

That would be Kirsteen then would it?

Would that by any chance be Kirsteen Menzies from Dingwall? I met her and heard her sing at the Ligonier Highland Games here in central Pennsylvania back in 2003 when she came as a guest and observer for the US Gaelic Mod.

i think it is about time we got our own language on the tele

I think we'll be waiting a long time for "BBC Pictish"....however, in the meantime I'm happy for us to support our Irish cousins by promoting Gaelic, especially if it means we get a full televised ICT game.

Guest WynessLegend

We used to put horse collars on Gaelic speakers to politely discourage them.

I'm all for this making a come back.

Nice show but for god's sake man .......... speak English.

A huge amount of our license fee is going towards this channel to pacift 50,000 Gaelic speakers

most of whom are English and will be waiting for MOTD instead of this drivel.

Guest CStephen

We used to put horse collars on Gaelic speakers to politely discourage them.

I'm all for this making a come back.

Nice show but for god's sake man .......... speak English.

A huge amount of our license fee is going towards this channel to pacift 50,000 Gaelic speakers

most of whom are English and will be waiting for MOTD instead of this drivel.

To be fair it is a Gaelic channel but i was slightly displeased by the lack of subtitles. A nice change from the usual sports programme. In the programme information it said: "Join the House of Sport", i didn't realise it was actually a house.

• 2 weeks later...

i think it is about time we got our own language on the tele

I think we'll be waiting a long time for "BBC Pictish"....however, in the meantime I'm happy for us to support our Irish cousins by promoting Gaelic, especially if it means we get a full televised ICT game.

Very controversial.

I know of lots of people who will claim there is a difference bettwen Gaelic and Galic.

That sounds very impressive. Will you let me know how you get on with installation etc?

Got installed today...all very smooth. No problems at all.

Now, what game's on this Saturday night?

Thanks, good to know. Off to sunny Deutschland on Wed and will visit sunny Tesco Online when I get back.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm really enjoying BBC ALBA, despite not being able to speak the language. The football coverage has been fantastic, much more relaxed and interesting than any of STV or BBC's other attempts; as well as a welcome return for Rapal, which is a brilliant show for unsigned Scottish bands to get recognition.

Thumbs up so far from me :rotflmao:

Guest WynessLegend

It must be stressed that BBC ALBA is complete and utter amateurish pish.

Any w$?ker who can speak the dead Irish language is in line for a job.

Global recession and we the licence payers are footing the bill for the Gaelic mafia.

Get it off the air.

I'd rather watch Caley on the radio.

what time?

I can't help thinking back to the time I phoned the cinema in Galashiels one to ask what time the film started, to which they replied "Erm, what time can you get here?" In the end there were 4 other people in the audience.

Any reports yet on Alba's average viewing figures? Aside from the SPL football, they must be getting something similar 3rd division crowds a lot of the time.

Global recession and we the licence payers are footing the bill for the Gaelic mafia.

Get it off the air.

It's actually Scotland's native language and isnt dead (yet) but with people's views like yourselfs it soon will be. Show some patriotism and supoport or at least don't insult the language. You could cause offence with your view. Also i watched quite a funny comedy on it one day this week :rotflmao:

although some of the jokes arent appreciated fully due to subtitles.

Get it off the air.

The answer is very simple in the gaelic debate. The answer is that the majority of folk in Scotland couldn't give two hoots about gaelic, if they did it wouldn't be in the state its in. The gaelic gang would like to believe that we all care so deeply about it and that it is jule in Scotland's crown. It aint, if anything its just mud on it's shoes. This channel and all the other gaelic garbage the government are throwing money at won't make the blindest bit of difference and is just ridiculous in the current climate of the world. People dying in Africa from easily preventable diseases, global recession, one in four kids in Scotland living in poverty. Nah, none of these are better to spend money on to try an stop than that good, old, soon to be dead if it aint already gaelic.