FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Gaelic in Inverness

Linwoodictsc

So why don't you have a ICT forum in Gaelic? It'll surely die if you don't use it, and school doesn't inspire kids to speak it, only to get a grade and get out.

i wish i had plenty of gaelic, but i'm not that good at it, but i'm learning it at the moment

So why don't you have a ICT forum in Gaelic? It'll surely die if you don't use it, and school doesn't inspire kids to speak it, only to get a grade and get out.

think that would be pretty hard to achieve and a pointless waste of time considering majority of members speak english

• 2 weeks later...

I posted this post in another thread *here* but I think that it would be better suited to this thread and I apologise for not realising this thread was here and taking the other one off topic.

Arrogant? Thats not the first time ive been called that :rotflmao:

Ok, when i said "our" i meant Highlanders and Islanders. Im 27, and my grandmother's native language was Gaelic, she learnt english as a second language. Its neither dead,dying or irrelevant in peoples daily life in a large part of the region outside of Inverness.

To stay on topic, would people not be keen on more Gaelic in the club, timing is good with BBC Alba etc, and it is an identity of the area, whether you speak it or not, so i would like to see it on the badge, lots of clubs use latin on their badges, why not Gaelic?

I am a Highlander, born in Caithness and of Sutherland decent on my mother's side. My maternal grandfather was a "native" Gaelic speaker but it does not detract from the fact that there is a huge Nordic influence in the place names of Caithness and Sutherland, not being a Gaelic speaker I may be wrong but I would imagine that there was a big influence from Norn in the "east coast" Gaelic dialect. To rip apart your Islander arguement Gaelic was never used to great aplomb in the Orkney and Shetland Islands they still speak a form of Norn there. This is why I think you are arrogant, the fact that you are blinkered enough to believe that Gaelic is so important that other native tounges are put aside in your quest to revive a language which is by all accounts on the way out. I believe that any funding in place for Gaelic at this present time really should be split into keeping these languages alive as much as Gaelic or does your arrogance tell you that these languages should be let die?

You only have to travel a few miles East of Inverness to enter a part of the country where Doric is spoken and I believe as a language Doric is far more widely used in everyday conversation than Gaelic but that could be totally due to the fact that my life has been influenced more by Doric than Gaelic, I am not too arrogant to admit this, are you? I am proud to say that due to my paternal ancestry I have a very good understanding of Doric due to my paternal Grandparents speaking it, my Grandfather even appeared on numerous local Television programmes promoting the language.

Should the ICT club badge therefore incorporate Doric, Norn, Scots and Gaelic? Should the matchday programme incorporate all these languages too? It will end up looking like the information label of a Lidl's cooked meat package!

I am sorry, I do believe there is a place for all these languages but language is dynamic and constantly evolving English spoken today is about as close to Olde English as Gaelic is to Welsh. To try to promote Gaelic use, to the stage which I am sure you would like, is a backwards step. The world is getting smaller through the use of technology and we now have the opportunity to communicate with far more many people during our lifetime than we did even fifty years ago. Why take a backwards step and rescusitate languages which have little use in the global scheme of things, when we should in reality, as the human race be evolving towards a universal communication medium?

I am sorry but outside of the communities speaking these languages I think that money could be spent more wisely, especially my council tax.

I really would like some sort of structured discussion on the points I have raised, not for the sake of getting an argument but so that I can further understand the subject.

Edited by birdog

think that would be pretty hard to achieve and a pointless waste of time considering majority of members speak english

That lil fact doesnt stop the Gaelic movement. If they wanted a forum in Gaelic, they would try and force it on the rest of us...just like everything else

Can anyone tell me,out of interest, what the percenatge of kids at the Gaelic medium school in Inverness (or other Gaelic medium schools for that matter)come from Gaelic speaking families who use the langauge as their main daily communication?

I'd be genuinely interested to know.