FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Dennis Wyness (Split)

The Mantis

Wyness less than awful last season???

The man scored 7 goals in all competitions in the first 2 months of last term. He also created for Nuculae and others in the process. It wasnt until he was benched by brew and then mostly used as sub that he couldnt find the net, leaving our only regular striker, niculae, wondering who the hell he was playing with week in week out - IMO resulting in his own inconsistancies on the park.

These desisions to rotate whoever plays with niculae up front only served to cause confusion and frustration throughout the squad - something we are seeing this campagne - and all are desisions made by CB...

If CB had any comment sence, he would know to play his strongest side week in week out, and then rotate using substitutions if players dont perform or if they are out due to injury.

rotating the squad has only served up one possitive - ryan esson. the rest of the squad are either out of position or not regularly involved - leading us to the position we are currently in.

we need a manager who can keep consistancy in the squad, and therefore in the performances on the park, and hopefully getting us a consistant run of results. Craig Brewster is not that man

The man scored 7 goals in all competitions in the first 2 months of last term. He also created for Nuculae and others in the process. It wasnt until he was benched by brew and then mostly used as sub that he couldnt find the net, leaving our only regular striker, niculae, wondering who the hell he was playing with week in week out - IMO resulting in his own inconsistancies on the park.

As much as I would love to say otherwise Wyness did himself no favours towards the end of his contract... in fact, some would probably argue he struggled as soon as he started playing in the SPL

He showed exactly what he is capable of at St Mirren this season.... 1 goal

Your just looking for excuses now to get stuck into Brew at least try and make a fair arguement... you already have plenty of ammo

As much as I would love to say otherwise Wyness did himself no favours towards the end of his contract... in fact, some would probably argue he struggled as soon as he started playing in the SPL

Your just looking for excuses now to get stuck into Brew at least try and make a fair arguement... you already have plenty of ammo

nuff sed

Indeed, wyness may not have performed to his best towards the end of his contract, but then again how could he when he is only on for the last 10-20 minutes for most matches, or subbed off at half time?

This, as you've pretty much said yourself in the last few words of the above quote, this is one of many reasons Brew should step aside or be released.

other reasons have been stated continuously throughout this thread, and the sooner the board or even bre himself realise this then I fear more players will be leaving the club, meaning we will soon be relying on our reserves to step up to the plate. In fact the more I think about reasons thing, the more reasons some to a head and the more gets expanded on the points already made.

I am yet to see anywhere any return ammo from the pro-brewster camp to keep him at the helm, and until I and many are convinced otherwise, then we will probably all be singing from the same song sheet come January, or indeed saturday

Brewster never knew how to get the best out of Wyness. He likes his strikers to be strong and athletic - hence we find ourselves with Wood, Rooney, Barrowman and Rory to choose from. These guys all have one thing in common - a similar physical staure to a certain Craig Brewster.

Denzil's most consistent spell in the SPL was under CC, a manager who knew the importance of touch and vision in a footballer/football team. Don't judge Wyness' contribution on his goals return alone. Craig Levein was talking him up on the radio recently as a 'second striker' who creates space for those around him. He played that role really well on Saturday. We are crying out for a forward with that kind of class at the moment.

It was kinda gut-wrenching watching Denzil in action on Saturday. We haven't had much chance to see him play in the last couple of years, yet there he was, just like in the old days under Pele, which he describes as probably the happiest in his career. Linking up, doing all the trademark shuffles and suchlike. Sticks in the craw to see him doing that in somebody else's colours. Ach feckit, I'm away for another drink......

Edited by The Mantis

Brewster never knew how to get the best out of Wyness. He likes his strikers to be strong and athletic - hence we find ourselves with Wood, Rooney, Barrowman and Rory to choose from. These guys all have one thing in common - a similar physical staure to a certain Craig Brewster.

Denzil's most consistent spell in the SPL was under CC, a manager who knew the importance of touch and vision in a footballer/football team. Don't judge Wyness' contribution on his goals return alone. Craig Levein was talking him up on the radio recently as a 'second striker' who creates space for those around him. He played that role really well on Saturday. We are crying out for a forward with that kind of class at the moment.

EXCELLENT POST! Wyness is a classic "second striker" who was undervalued by Brew. A fit Denis playing regularly would not only create goals for others but weigh in with his own fair share of goals.

EXCELLENT POST! Wyness is a classic "second striker" who was undervalued by Brew. A fit Denis playing regularly would not only create goals for others but weigh in with his own fair share of goals.

Wyness is also a player that needs confidence, I would have my doubts as to whether Brew could inspire confidence in any player never mind Wyness

It was kinda gut-wrenching watching Denzil in action on Saturday. We haven't had much chance to see him play in the last couple of years, yet there he was, just like in the old days under Pele, which he describes as probably the happiest in his career. Linking up, doing all the trademark shuffles and suchlike. Sticks in the craw to see him doing that in somebody else's colours. Ach feckit, I'm away for another drink......

1 goal

1 goal

I don't want to go over old ground, but the point about Dennis is that he had agreed a contract and it had been unavailable for him to sign as arranged on the Friday and when he turned up to sign it on the Monday morning he was told that it had been withdrawn following a poor TEAM performance on the Saturday. 1 game doesn't make a player or a team.

1 goal

I don't want to go over old ground, but the point about Dennis is that he had agreed a contract and it had been unavailable for him to sign as arranged on the Friday and when he turned up to sign it on the Monday morning he was told that it had been withdrawn following a poor TEAM performance on the Saturday. 1 game doesn't make a player or a team.

Watching some of Wyness' preformances last season was almost soul destryoing. The way such a legend was struggling to keep up with pace, huffing and puffing. He was, and still is, technically an excellent player. However he could no longer hold the ball up, beat his man for pace, win a ball in the air or even put any sting in his shot.

I agree that Rankin, and to a lesser extent Wilson, should never have been let go so easily, but Wyness was no longer up to the physical nature of the SPL.

1 goal

1) He was signed from Aberdeen as a midfielder. Credit to Denzil then that he managed to become ICT's all-time top scorer.

2) You never went on Saturday did you?

should never have been let go so easily, but Wyness was no longer up to the physical nature of the SPL.

1) No 'sting in his shot' aged 29. Entering the realms of fantasy now ;) :rotflmao: :thumb04: :018:

2) I only ever played amateur, but even there I could tell that fitba is 75% motivation.

3) You never went either, did you?

Unlike some, I never thought Denzil was a world-beater, but he's well capable of playing in the bottom half of the SPL.

Edited by The Mantis

Guest Spectre

Watching some of Wyness' preformances last season was almost soul destryoing. The way such a legend was struggling to keep up with pace, huffing and puffing. He was, and still is, technically an excellent player. However he could no longer hold the ball up, beat his man for pace, win a ball in the air or even put any sting in his shot.

My recollection too.

All to often the ball would get up to Dennis and he would be hussled off the ball by the defense. And when he was through on goal he would always try to pass it into the net, usually saved.

The only other person I used to dread more seeing in a 1-1 with the keeper was Graham Bayne.

My recollection too.

All to often the ball would get up to Dennis and he would be hussled off the ball by the defense. And when he was through on goal he would always try to pass it into the net, usually saved.

I suppose thats why he ended up our all time record scorer

Guest Spectre

SPL Goals this season:

Barrowman = 2

Wyness + Dargo = 1

That would be the Barrowman who everyone's sneering at, stepping up 2 divisions in the process.