FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Cowie interview in Courier

Guest birdog

If the Board had been a bit wiser and got on a longer contract, he could have been sold and a hungrier player brought in. He's obviously going to come good again but, right now, the money might have been more use. As it is, he goes for nothing (or next to). We lose out in every way.

• 2 weeks later...

With suggestions that Dundee United are interested in Cowie and he them so that he does not warm a bench, one option might still be the temporary return of Dods especially if Pressley does not sign.

Would Utd have any reason to get rid of Dods, though, as he plays in a different position to Cowie? Or do you mean that they might be keen enough on getting Cowie straight away to use Dods as the makeweight in the deal? Personally I'd have though they'd be content to sign Cowie on a pre-contract and wait for next season - and if there's any truth in the rumour that Rangers are interested in Wilkie, they'll be even keener to hang onto Dods.

Read in the paper today that Motherwell are now in the race to sign Cowie. Other clubs named were Hibs, Aberdeen, Dundee United, Rangers, Leeds & Preston

If that's true it's good news for him, not so good for us though as they'll probably wait til the end of the season and we'll lose him for nothing.

I'm not so sure a move to motherwell can be considered a good move for the lad - unless you take wages into account.

Motherwell over achieved last year IMHO. Surely this would only be a side-way step such as if he went to st mirren, falkirk or even kilmarnock.

If he were to go i'd rather he went to a big club and made an impact, such as rankin at hibs. He has the talent to go far and i seriously hope its helping us at inverness. I'm sick of players using us as a stage for bigger clubs to nab them!!!

Read in the paper today that Motherwell are now in the race to sign Cowie. Other clubs named were Hibs, Aberdeen, Dundee United, Rangers, Leeds & Preston

If that's true it's good news for him, not so good for us though as they'll probably wait til the end of the season and we'll lose him for nothing.

Other way around surely? If there's a number of clubs interested, then surely one or two would like to nip in with a transfer fee?

Lets be honest with ourselves here, I wouldn't stay at ICTFC in it's current situation. If he wanted to be in the first division he would have stayed with County. It is too big a risk to stay at caley, he could loose staying in the SPL and for anyone that is a major blow financially and for achievement. He would be silly to stay imo!

Lets be honest with ourselves here, I wouldn't stay at ICTFC in it's current situation. If he wanted to be in the first division he would have stayed with County. It is too big a risk to stay at caley, he could loose staying in the SPL and for anyone that is a major blow financially and for achievement. He would be silly to stay imo!

They've got to make what they can during a short career.

Just to be pedantic, he would've been in the 2nd last season if he'd stayed at County.

They've got to make what they can during a short career.

Just to be pedantic, he would've been in the 2nd last season if he'd stayed at County.

Thanks for the correction!

Cowie can sit tight, stay for the rest of the season and still sign with a club in the summer.

Moving to Motherwell would be a definite step backwards, if Hearts buy Porter from well he could be joining a first division club.

Don Cowie would be worth far more if he helped ICT climb the table then sign for a regular top 6 club in the summer if that is his wish.

overachieved?

if we have done just this, then why on earth did the club try so damn hard to get in the SPL with a grounshare at aberdeen? surely after 5 years in the top flight, the clubs 5 year plan should be to get in the top 6. then europe or the title?

if everyone at the club thinks we are over achievers and not an established SPL side, deserving to remain in the top flight, then I have only 3 words for them.....

GET TAE F***

You'd think with Black now off for definites the club would take a more pro active stance in tying up the other out of contract players on new deals. His wages will free up money in the budget. It would be nice to see the out of contract lads tied up on long term deals. But then again this is ICT here i'm talking about. Not a sensible lot.

My philosophy would be to always get players on 3 year deals minimum (unless over 32/ under 19) and if their not cutting the mustard they can be granted free transfers or nominal fee deals elsewhere. Or released if needs be. And get them signed up early if they're key players. Dont give them the opportunity to let their eyes get caught by sparkles in the distance so to speak. Let your fringe players sweat it out. Make THEM the ones who have to fight for their new deal and create a compeditive squad spirit as opposed to a restless one.

as it stands based on last year, support levels, etc then Well would be a step up, however, this year they are a poor team (I know they are above us but we are shocking). Of the teams mentioned Well are by far the smallest:

It is up for debate but I would order them as Rangers, Preston, Leeds (bigger than Rangers and Preston but punching well below their weight at the moment), Hibs, Aberdeen, Dundee United, Well, Caley