FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Dundee United -v- Ict : Matchday Thread

Scotty

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After listening to the game, I cant help feeling we dropped two points today ... but lets face it, most people would have taken a draw if offered before the game.

Lets see.

1. One of our most consistent players.

2. We look out of balance and weaker when he is not playing.

3. Probably one of the first players to be on the team sheet.

Yep, we should punt him :rotflmao:

Right. Which of our players will we slag off next!

Mixed emotions. Didn't think we'd get anything out of it, yet needed 3 points. Didn't lose or gain ground on Falkirk. Every week it's going to get more difficult to get out.

Totally agree with this post a draw away against the 4th placed in the league is a good result given our pre Butcher form but could have done with the three points.

8.Hamilton Ac. 25 9 2 14 23 37 29 +10 pts

9. Kilmarnock 25 8 4 13 24 33 28 +9 pts

10. St Mirren 25 7 6 12 21 30 27 +8 pts

11. Falkirk 25 5 8 12 27 37 23 +4 pts

12. Inverness CT 25 5 4 16 23 42 19

A long way to go yet with three big Saturday home games coming up (as well as a mid-week visit to Ibrox):

ICT v Hibs

ICT v Motherwell

ICT v Kilmarnock

All winable and then we still have the games against St.Mirren, Falkirk and Accies before we play them again after the split as it doesn't appear we will make the top 6 now.... :rotflmao:

GAME ON....and a big turn-out from our home support will also help....

If we can draw more than we lose against the "top" teams and win more than we draw/lose against the "lower" teams then we should be in (comparatively) decent shape come the split and that's what I'm looking towards right now.

You could argue that a wee extra break today and it would have been 3 points, but not so long ago we'd have been looking for a good few breaks to even salvage a draw so I'm delighted with todays result, especially looking at United as currently being one of the "top" teams.

Great result - but is nobody else a wee bit concerned that Butcher is continuing to stick with the first X1 that he was able to pick ? I could see the psychology initially but not now - what would we be like if we had our best 11 players geed up on the park ?

Guest Mahonio

What you rather, Duncan not to commit the foul and us ending up losing 2-1 or him to get sent off and help the team by commiting the foul and getting sent off and them to not score and the result ending 1-1?

I know which one i would choose.

Will have to change it now with red card and Black's suspension and I think he might even come up with an alternative formation for crucial home games coming up in league and cup

At least we will have plenty of expereince of watching games at Caledonian Stadium in the next 4 weeks....could turn out to be a big advantage....

Edited by Tichy_Blacks_Back

What is going on here?

Shouldn't we be getting behind our team?

Right behind the team - Right behind Butcher - but come on - a change is needed. Perhaps it is becos of match fitness, injuries and sticking to winning teams - it just concerns me a little as I dont think that we are playing our best 11 at the moment - and we need to.

As far as tactics and football go Renegade couldnt pass wind. :rotflmao: :thumb04: :018: ;)

It was a "professional foul" that means he took out a player bearing down on goal with a goal scoring opportunity - and according to my source it was because some clown at left back had gone missing.

Duncan is not a play maker or a passer of the ball but he is an experienced "hole" player - and reads the game very well - that is probably why he was in a position to commit the foul in the first place - the likes of combative midfielders like Black, Duncan and Kerr always are likely to pick up at least one red card per year.

Great result - but is nobody else a wee bit concerned that Butcher is continuing to stick with the first X1 that he was able to pick ? I could see the psychology initially but not now - what would we be like if we had our best 11 players geed up on the park ?

Yes it was one of my biggest criticisms when Brewster's selections never changed after going on a 5 or six game run (when we beat Celtic), then went on a pish poor run without altering the lineup or formation. I did believe Rooney deserved a start today but when Odie scored I felt I was wrong in my reservations, guess we will just have to wait and see.

Just home. We should have won this one but the point will help.

First of I'd say get of Duncans back. He knew what he was doing. He took a red for the team. He had a decent game and prevented what would have, without doubt, been a goal. The midfielder tackled from behind in a last man situation. Ask yourselves where the defence was.

Esson's fumble gave away a goal but to be fair to him the ball should have been booted into Dens stadium before it even got to him.

Both teams made chances. Both teams were pretty equal and the result is, probably, a fair reflection of the game.

For me, and in answer to Johndo's point, this starting eleven are beginning to gel together and it would be risky to change them without good reason. Imrie and Odhiambo look like they'll become the pairing we've been crying out for. Generally our defence is looking very good as is the midfield.

The pitch wasn't the best for playing football on and the ref was crap but we're now three games undefeated. Things are looking more positive for ICT.

I think you - and most peple are getting my drift - Alex. I would agree with your term "generally" - we are getting a lot tighter and more threatening on the break - I could live with Imrie and Eric as they have the pace and the energy - I just feel that we are lacking in 2-3 positions and we have better players to do the job than the present incumbents. Having said that Butcher is sticking to his words and ya have to respect that - I just hope that his stick ins dont do some real damage.

So who was at fault fer Duncans dismissal and the poor defending leading to the goal ?

How did Foran play and where ?

Where is a feckin Smileymometer when ya need one.

I agree with pretty much everything Alex has said. I don't think we played particularly well today but well enough. We look like a different team under Butcher, difficult to beat again.

Dundee utd pressed pretty hard after Duncan's sending off and I'll happily take the draw. Woodsy could have snatched it in the end but ballooned it over the bar. I thought Duncan had a decent game today actually, the tackle had to be made. I thought he had got to the ball but probably not...

If Dougie Imrie could lift his head a bit then Odiahambo would have been clear through on goal a couple of times. We need to find a bit of sharpness and ruthlessness up front to start making more of these breaks.

Still, we are looking good, a 3 game unbeaten run and now 4 winnable home games. Bring it on.

What, some muppet started a 'Dump Duncan' thread? Should have been at the game then.

The irony is, he hardly misplaced a pass all day. Good shout for MoM before that. So we'll miss him and Blackie next week.

True about Imrie, if he could lift his head and see a pass he'd be some player. Should have made it 2-0 before half time instead of passing it.

Good fighting draw today though. There's hope.

Spot on Mantis.

Anti-Duncan halfwits GTF! If you don't appreciate the unglamorous job he does so well you simply expose yourself as a clueless beaut. We are very clearly a better side with him than without him.

Watching BBC Alba and still can't believe Dougie's howler just before half-time.

Too good to go down !

What is going on here?

Shouldn't we be getting behind our team?

Right behind the team - Right behind Butcher - but come on - a change is needed.

My comment was made on the 'punt Duncan' thread. Ain't seen the incident yet, but sounds like he took one for the team. He's solid if not spectacular, and you probably notive when he isn't there more than when he is.

We're only three games in to Butcher's spell. From what I saw of the first two games, why would he change the team? After all he (or in the case of this week Malpas) sees the players day-to-day and knows who's up for it.

Wouldn't most of us taken 2 points and a place in the QF before these three games?