FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Pre Merger?

SMEE

Just got to wondering...before ICT came into being, where did your football loyalties lye.This isnt about Caley vs Thistle, Am just curious as to how many on here were actual regularly supporting (in the financial sense) Inverness football pre merger. Or, if you like...trying to to sniff out the glory hunters :lol:

Or maybe you couldnt be arsed with the standard of footie on offer pre merger?

If you came to support ICT, but have no link to Inverness...whats yer reason?

I was a keen Caley fan since late 70s

Edited by SMEE

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Growing up, I always considered myself a *Celtic "fan" but a Caley "Supporter" based on the fact that a supporter pays money at the turnstiles, buys merchandise, or generally contributes financially to the club whereas a "fan" just follows the fortunes of a team on TV/Radio etc .....

Luckily, through shareholdings, merchandise, centenary club, player sponsorship contributions, and such like, I can still be a supporter of ICT rather than just a fan, even from this distance :lol:

I got into Caley because I used to live in Dalneigh a stones throw away from Telford Street and we used to see the players running up Hawthorn drive a couple of nights a week for training at the pitches beside Dalneigh School. I went to quite a few games as a youngster but it was only in the mid to late 80s and early 90s that I was at more and more home games. When ICT came into being, I was an ever-present at Telford Street and then the TCS.

* For clarification - my "fan" status of Celtic ended on the day that ICT - or CT as it was for that first wee while - entered the senior leagues. My first ever visit to Celtic Park was for Celtic -V- ICT in the cup [yes, THAT game]

Didn't support a team until ICT was formed (when I was 11). My dad tried to raise me as a Don, but I was never interested. Instead I supported and followed players that I found exciting; e.g. Guiseppe Signori, Faustino Asprilla, Chris Waddle (!)

Mines a strange story!

I was constantly bullied at school and in the Boys Brigade because I was rubbish at playing football. This put me off the game big time.

It wasn't until I went to University in 1998 that I started to mellow and started to enjoy watching the odd game. My flatmate was a Dundee fan and I sometimes went to Dens Park with him.

I returned to Inverness and forgot about football!

Then 5 years ago with all the press and exitement in Inverness about SPL football, I started getting a little interested again, I started going to a few matches with my father in law (a dons fan) and thats when I started supporting ICT properly.

So Smee does that make me a glory hunter lol!!

Guest birdog

At school I supported Celtic but gave up on them when I realised what the songs I was singing were actually about, around the age of 15. My football coach when I was at school was Freddy Neild and his son Scott was one of my bessies at school so I always had a liking for Caley. When my father's job took us back to Sneck I started going to Caley matches more regularly and became a true supporter after the Airdrie Scottish cup match.

So Smee does that make me a glory hunter lol!!

The important thing is you support them now K. Hopefully you have the bug now and continue to back them even tho they have regressed for the first time ever, even tho its better fun in the lower leagues!!

ICT formed when I was 5/6 years old.. so any support before that on my part, is out of the question. Though, on the occasions Ive spoken about it with my ole' man, turns out he enjoyed going to a Thistle game now and then, due to where he lived at the time. He took me to a few games after the merge in the third division, first of which I remember, was us beating Stenhousemuir, don;t know the score but I remember it fondly.. leaving the stadium absolutly delighted.

From then on, ICT is who I have supported and always will. I could go out and support/be a fan of anyone to be honest, but being from the 'ness, regardless of what league, situation or whatnot, it's just kinda'.. right.

Edited by TheKarl

Cellic tattoo on ma arm and an ICT on ma back and ma buttock. I used to stand in the Jungle and chant the secretarian abuse - Now I am ashamed of that and wish that I had given my whole allegiance to Caledonian - the greatest ever football team in the world. But drink, drugs and football violence headed me towards Glesga. The joke was that I was a founder member and erstwhile "leader" of the Caley Animals - renowned as a fiting crew but - although we had our fair degree of impromptu scraps - except the Jail End excursions and planned battles with the Staigo - we were just a bunch of friends / lads who went on the lash - the 70's/80's equivalent of the BENI / SESH Army.

The "misses" from the old days is the atmosphere of the Howden End - the Away Day Footbal BR specials to Elgin and Dungwall - changing ends at half time and Pomagne and Scotsmac on the terraces.

Oh and by the way - we HATED Elgin firstly and then County - the Jeggies was always more of the banter version but those middle class fools on the hills would never have had the guts to take us on. :lol:

Caledonian FC were always my team as a kid, although i used to sometimes got to see Clach. I ended up supporting Caledonian because of a girl called Angela Rodden who was in my high school class. I was 10 or 11 i think.

I am from Callander in central Scotland originally and when I was young I followed my brother following Rangers, until as a 8 year old going to my first game at Ibrox, they wouldn't let me on the supporters bus because I was brought up a catholic. Or as they told us "there's no f****ng fenians getting on this bus"

I turned my allegiance to my local team Stirling Albion. Best game being the 20-0 gubbing of Selkirk in the cup. I have had no allegiance to Caley or Thistle before merger. I was working in Carrbridge when merger happened and it was easier to follow CT/ICT than the Beano's. I get to 7 or 8 games a season now and I am now turning the next Mrs dude into an ICT fan as well as the kids(one born in Inverness 2 born in Lincoln) turning her away from Man utd .

I was taken to see the Highland League teams as a five year old! Liked the ones in Blue, so I'm told, and thus have been a Caley supporter since 19oatcake (am now a newish OAP, or "coffin dodger" as some would say). I've followed Caley ever since, and then ICT up through the Divisions.

IHE - you are sooo correct - we all hated Elgin the most (I was spat on there after we had won at Borough Briggs), then Ross County and we just about tolerated the Jags! Clach were not even considered, poor souls - still, I enjoy the friendlies there now and will be there on 7th July - lovely to stand virtually on the touchline.

Oh yes IHE, the memories of changing ends at half time! Happy days! I remember, as a teenager, being very miffed at Brora when a player I quite fancied was sent off (wrongly!!). I was so furious I went and sat in the bus for the rest of the game! Sorry, Mods, this should be in Memories, shouldnt it?).

My Dad used to watch Caley now and again if he was in town, but more or less stopped following after the merger. I went to my first ICT game when i was 9, 2001 I think. It was Queen of the South at home we won 5-3 - what a first game! Paul Rithcie won man of the match that day and I remember Barry Robson terrorising their defence. After that I'd go to the odd game and when we were promoted got a season ticket and have kept going since then.

Edit : Dodgy spelling

Edited by martinskye

My Dad used to watch Caley now and again if he was in town, but more or less stopped following after the merger. I went to my first ICT game when i was 9, 2001 I think. It was Queen of the South at home we won 5-3 - what a first game! Paul Rithcie won man of the match that day and I remember Barry Robson terrorising their defence. After that I'd go to the odd game and when we were promoted got a season ticket and have kept going since then.

Edit : Dodgy spelling

What a brilliant first game. One of the best matches I have ever seen.

I started off as a Dundee United fan when i was younger, was born there but the old man is from Inverness so we were up visiting 4-5 times a year, and went to see caley (pre-merger) if they had a home game...gran lived in fairfield rd so was a short walk!

will always remember sitting beside the goal at the st mirren game in 94

Edited by Mick

Well i have always been a Celtic fan and they are still my 1st team. But since Caley were in the 2nd Division i have started to support them more and more, so even though i may be seen as a Glory Hunter, I am a Celtic "Fan" and i am very fond of Caley.

A regular at Telford St as a boy, we moved away, and then I went off studying and seeing the world. Always looked out for Caley/CT/ICT results though. Came back to Scotland and my first ICT game got me totally hooked, the 1-1 cup game at Tannadice in early 1998.

Been a Dee ah meh days, but when i got posted to Alness with the RAF i used to come to Sneck to watch Caley and Thistle when i could make it.Saw the 3-0 v Killie game and several Caley cup games which convinced me of the potential and supported highland league footy and followed the angst of the merger.Always wondered how i would feel if ICT made it up the leagues, but the semi at Hampden decided me and heart ruled head, although i sat in the ICT end, as a few on here know i had my Dee top on that day :lol: ( i was the **** punching the air when Nemsadze poked it in)

I encouraged wee Heilan to support ICT as i always believe in supporting your local team and when he was on the pitch when ICT were promoted to the SPL i felt sure he would be ICT for life, but kids loyalty surprises you and when we went down, he said he'd rather come to Dee games with me even tho he'd get slagged at school he could take it! He's got a season ticket for Dens this yaer :D

(kids eh? bring a tear to a glass eye :009: )

Jags for me - started going to kingsmills in the early 70,s then in late 70's learned to drive and used to go to most away games as well then back to sneck park the car up and off to the thistle club - used to be up the stairs in baron taylor street -- a lot of the players went there after the games, davie milroy was always there :lol:

was at the infamous game that was called off umpteen times against Falkirk and also drove down to Parkheid where we got beat 6 - 0 by Celtic - was at the first competitive game ICT v Arbroath where Herchy scored a hat trick(good to see him on the bus from the caley club to the ground at the Falkirk game) - Have now got the kids as well supporting ICT - they were too young for pre merger and ICT are their team.

Lots of good memories pre merger but they are in the past - Live for the present and the present is ICT

Grew up Rangers but left Scotland to study and realised just how disgusting sectarianism was, so gave them up. No hidden loyalty to them. Even wanted Tommy Burns' Celtic (what a team that was) to win the League (although I never supported them). Supported my home team, St Mirren for a few years (although I'd long gone since then) and would see them when I returned.

Was living in Inverness and enjoying it when ICT formed. I always have a feeling for the clubs in the place I'm living but when a new team forms, it was like a new dawning in football for both myself and the city. Wipe the slate clean of old allegiances and really get behind a bit of hope, rather than the bigotry of former years.

I had thought I would support both the Saints and ICT until they eventually met in the League but first game was a friendly between the clubs, so had to decide straight away. Caley Jags it was!*

*bad move of course, ICT lost 3-0

As a kid the big team was Rangers (with a soft spot for Dundee Utd - my first ever top flight game was at Tannadice) but the wee team was the Jags although if a decent team was visiting Caley or Clach I would go along.

At the end of the day it was all about the football.

Left Inverness to go to Uni in 1984 and kept wandering. Like starchief I then would go along to the games for the teams close to where I was living so Aberdeen, Newcastle United, Tranmere Rovers, Altrincham, Rot Weiss Essen, Eintracht Frankfurt, Manchester United (though on most occassions I was usually wanting the opposition to win - only the free tickets kept me going back), CSKA and Levski Sofia, Cherno More Varna, Zamalek etc have all had my support.

I would always look for the inverness teams score in the sunday papers and when the jags finally became part of CT the passion was reborn and a new journey began. Since then I have watched a couple of games each season (and the odd semi-final) and I am already looking forward to the christmas and new year fixtures (hoping for mild weather this year).....