Busy Summer For Hastings

Scotty

Looks like Richard Hastings will have a busy summer ...... he played the full 90 minutes in Canada's 1-0 win over Cyprus in Larnaca on 30th May [REPORT] and came on for the second half in last night's 3-0 friendly win over Guatemala in California. New Toronto FC striker Ali Gerba scored twice for the Canadians [REPORT].

The friendly was the final warm up game in preparation for the 2009 CONCACAF Gold Cup that starts tomorrow in Los Angeles .....

Canada will play Jamaica tomorrow in the opening game of the tournament in Carson, California, then El Salvador on the 7th in Columbus Ohio and Costa Rica on the 10th in Miami. The QFs are on the 18th/19th in Philadelphia and Dallas, the semis on the 23rd in Chicago and the final on the 26th in New Jersey.

Its 3 groups of 4 with the top 2 teams going through from each group plus 2 of the 3rd placed teams so Canada must have a chance of reaching the QFs at least .....

ohh..... and Richard makes an appearance on the front page of the Canadian Soccer Association website !

post-2-1246577480.png

I just don't get this Hastings plays in all these Internationals and seems to do well. Yet he is no longer a first choice defender for ICT.

Why?? and are the ICT management wrong in their rating of him?

Edited by kiltarlity

Well the Canucs play him as a central defender, this seems to be his best place for Canada, however I felt he was crap/poor playing there for us????? strange eh?

Playing LB for us i thought he had lost a bit of pace and was getting dragged out of position too often, we lost quite a few goals from the left back area this last 2 seasons.

Well the Canucs play him as a central defender, this seems to be his best place for Canada, however I felt he was crap/poor playing there for us????? strange eh?

Playing LB for us i thought he had lost a bit of pace and was getting dragged out of position too often, we lost quite a few goals from the left back area this last 2 seasons.

That was more to do with Zadi i think :lol:

I seem to recollect Hastings playing a defensive-midfieldish posiion during the last Gold Cup where he did quite well. What about that for ICT? He's not a bad passer of the ball, so could he be the ball player in the midfield ICT are needing.

I seem to recollect Hastings playing a defensive-midfieldish posiion during the last Gold Cup where he did quite well. What about that for ICT? He's not a bad passer of the ball, so could he be the ball player in the midfield ICT are needing.

In the last dozen or so Internationals he has been a central defender and has done reasonably well. Dont recall him playing in midfield

What about Tokely Munro and Hastings at the back? Could work quite well. Would allow Tokely and Hastings to get forward a bit more and let someone like DZ do all his, erm, 'adventurous' work without having to worry too much about solid defending (which of course he's absolutely brilliant at, hence why we never lose a goal down that left hand side :finger03: )

I'm actually a little worried with just how much Hastings is going to be doing before the start of the season. He had a similarly demanding schedule a couple of seasons back which was followed by his worst season ever for ICT.

Whether it was down to starting the season a little more fatigued than everyone else, or whether it was a lack of training with the rest of the squad in the pre-season I don't know.

Still, wish him every success and fingers crossed the previous scenario was purely coincidental.

Don't think it was really midfield, it was as a defender, but slightly further forward than the rest.

DM - Defence midfield then. Plays just in front off the defenders and just behind the midfielders

I think Renegade is just grasping at straws now :finger03:

In anything other than a flat back 4 Hastings is far more likely to play a sweeper position....much the same as he has done for us in the past.

Don't think it was really midfield, it was as a defender, but slightly further forward than the rest.

DM - Defence midfield then. Plays just in front off the defenders and just behind the midfielders

Yes

I think Renegade is just grasping at straws now :D

What? :blink:

And with Vancouver Whitecaps having been selected to play in the MLS (Major League Soccer) North American League in 2011 I would not be surprised if Hastings found his way into their team.

Just a warning.......

Not too sure about that. I think Toronto FC were after Hastings a couple of seasons back but nowt came of it. Even if he did leave, I doubt it'd be a huge loss.

Edited by Renegade

And with Vancouver Whitecaps having been selected to play in the MLS (Major League Soccer) North American League in 2011 I would not be surprised if Hastings found his way into their team.

Just a warning.......

He'll be 34 by then.

He may be Canadian by birth but he has spent most of his life in the UK ... not sure he would finish his career in Canada ... but we will see.

Anyhoo - Canada won 1-0 last night with Toronto FC's Ali Gerba scoring the only goal of the game late on, and Greg Sutton (an unattached goalkeeper as mentioned in another thread) making some great saves to keep them in it. Richard was seen briefly on TV warming up on the sidelines but didnt make it onto the park.

Yes I know the twi-light of his career is beginning to percolate through the shades.

However, the emerging Whitecaps who are the latest North American team to be granted a franchise to play in the Major Soccer League, w.e.f. 2011, would benefit from his experience at left back and his presence would provide an incentive to the younger players coming through (130,000 kids playing soccer in this Lower Mainland district of the west coast of Canada) showing to these kids how far they can go and he would of course represent a steadying influence on these and other players. So don't rule him out on the transfer front.

Vancouver Whitecaps have always been there or thereabouts--- winning the North American soccer League some 24 years ago in front of 24,000 fans, the 1st Division title last year and well on their way to another good season this year.

The MLS league is a big deal money-wise with Gordon Campbell, the Premier of B.C., spouting off about summer football at the renovated B.C. Place stadium, retractable roof for all-weather play, a downtown venue with electric elevated sky-trains running every fifteen minutes and improved transit in place to ferry fans in from outlying districts --all true. He also enthusiastically surmises that up to 33,000 fans will load up the stadium but fails to divulge how often (LOL), and so forth. The League is expanding, Beckham even comes to town, and it looks as if the millions spent , and to be spent in the future, on this Franchise application by the big backers will pay-off--especially if all the hype and trumpetting is anything to go by. These are wealthy money- persons and they seem to think that this will be a good investment. :P

The rivalry with Seattle (and Toronto) will be a far more significant factor than David Beckham trust me !!! Beckham brings nothing to this league other than curiosity factor and that has worn off big style since his sojourn to Milan this year. Even his own "fans" (and colleagues like Landon Donovan) in LA have turned on him.

With regards to RH - I just cant see a 34 year old left back (as he would be then) who may have been born in BC but has pretty much lived his life in the UK uprooting himself to play a year or two at most in BC for an emerging team who will have younger talent available. Its a sentimental thought, but probaby no more than that.