FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Butcher the motivator

Dmacca

A lot has being said about TB, I just wonder about his man management capabilities, you have to question his ability to motivate his players, last season against Falkirk needing a point to be safe, and Saturday against the arch rivals from up the road, the game that everybody wants to win.

It does not matter who you are, or the quality of players at your disposal if you can't get them in the right frame of mind your in trouble.

It does not matter who you are, or the quality of players at your disposal if you can't get them in the right frame of mind your in trouble.

Absolutely right....

He arrived here like a breath of fresh air, when all had become doom and gloom under Brewster...

Ther transformation was remarkable...

Sustaining that transformation is the difficult bit, and that is clearly becoming something of a problem with TB and MM...

I think it must be a huge problem motivating a team week in week out.

Basically every match you are saying the same thing. If my or your boss came to you twice a week (cup games at mo) and gave you a motivational lecture, it would start to wear a bit thin very quickly... I'd be switching off, noding in agreement... but not really responding. Particularily when things have on the whole been going ok (6 or 7 games undefeated)

Perhaps, performance related pay ? and a bit more squad rotation is the answer. I don't know...

A defeat like Saturday's has to be the biggest motivator surely...

I think it must be a huge problem motivating a team week in week out.

Basically every match you are saying the same thing. If my or your boss came to you twice a week (cup games at mo) and gave you a motivational lecture, it would start to wear a bit thin very quickly... I'd be switching off, noding in agreement... but not really responding. Particularily when things have on the whole been going ok (6 or 7 games undefeated)

Fair comment, Kiltarlity.... But you've got a bit of an advantage here.. :angry:

How many of our current squad have a degree in psychology?

Bit rusty near 20 years ago since I got that degree and I scraped through it in an alcoholic haze.

However, start my mental health nursing degree next week, and I think this forum will prove an excellent resourse.

This weekend in particular I've picked up on some good examples of: Narcissistic and Schizoid personality disorders.

Edited by kiltarlity

What is also to be remembered is that the players may be very young, in mind as well as years, desperate to get home to their computer games. Footballing ability does not always equate to high IQ.

To assume they are motivated by Ross County coming to play or the potential loss of a win bonus when they are already enjoying a (local) celeb life style is way off the mark.

A degree of 'maturity', in my opinion, could be created by Rossco/Munro/Esson/Foran wanting their win bonus and, in no uncertain terms, making the younger players aware of this.

The management can only really motive if the raw material is there to be receptive, I don't think this is always in abundance in young footballers, hence the Alex Ferguson cup throwing management requirement.

I don't think motivation is an issue with Butcher. Here's what Morais had to say about in the SoS:

"Terry Butcher was great for me, he gave me confidence and played me as a striker and I got goals........."

According to the Portuguese-born attacking midfielder, Butcher was a man who would have players wanting to run through brick walls for him. "I have never felt like that before other than with Owen Coyle".

I don't think motivation is an issue with Butcher. Here's what Morais had to say about in the SoS:

"Terry Butcher was great for me, he gave me confidence and played me as a striker and I got goals........."

According to the Portuguese-born attacking midfielder, Butcher was a man who would have players wanting to run through brick walls for him. "I have never felt like that before other than with Owen Coyle".

Blo0dy shame he didn't want to stay here with his inspirational saviour.