FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Ugly Inverness

Yngwie

The last visitors to arrive by sea were the Vikings.

Not quite. The last visitors to arrive by sea were County fans coming over for a derby in the last days of the Kessock Ferry! :cry01:

:cry01:

As far as I can see, the people who "judge" these awards are little more than a bunch of self appointed busybodies who serve absolutely no useful function in what they do, speak with absolutely no authority and get far more publicity for their superficial and vacuous comments than they deserve.

I hadn't realised it was the ICT Board of Directors doing the judging!!! :cry01:

The aerial photographs in this link will give you a good idea of what Sneck was like before they went and ruined it.

http://aerial.rcahms.gov.uk/database/resul..._term=Inverness

In Pic 13.....that shows the castle.....why is there two bridges at the bottom of bridge street close together? One is in a VERY odd position!

That's the road bridge that was built in 1939 to take traffic away from the old suspension bridge. This bridge was taken down after the new bridge was open in 1961.

The bridge nearest in the picture was a temporary bridge for when the old bridge was demolished and the new one put in place

I still can remember my old man driving us across the temporary bridge when we were about 7 or 8 years old. I used to have nightmares about him driving off the edge. It was all pretty rickety and unstable as I remember. Would not pass health and safety nowadays!

The bridge nearest in the picture was a temporary bridge for when the old bridge was demolished and the new one put in place

I still can remember my old man driving us across the temporary bridge when we were about 7 or 8 years old. I used to have nightmares about him driving off the edge. It was all pretty rickety and unstable as I remember. Would not pass health and safety nowadays!

I remember the 'temporary' bridge too. I certainly don't recall it being rickety and unstable. It lasted over 20 years apparently, and I drove, and walked, accross it umpteen times so I'd prefer to think that it was quite sound.

I think it must be based on having the industrial estate next to the sea, so the first thing anyone sees is a load of old factories. Most of it though is quite nice. From the centre, you can see green hills, the Black Isle, a river, little bridges, old churches etc. Certainly wouldn't say it was anywhere near the ugliest in the UK by any means.

Loads of cities have industrial estates next to the sea. Its an ideal place to put them for many reasons.