FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Ugly Inverness

Yngwie

I see Inverness has been shortlisted as one of the ugliest places in Britain (with regard to the buildings rather than the inhabitants).

Previous "winners" of this particular award include Coatbridge, Cumbernauld, and Glenrothes.

On the footballing front we may be heading in the same direction as those locations, but is the city of Inverness really that bad? And can we somehow pin it on Mike Smith?!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/s...icle6999996.ece

I dont think the centre is all that bad, a few buildings should get flattened, bridge street + the union street eyesore which houses the 147 club, apart from that we are no worse that a lot of places.

The surrounding area's are a different matter, all these souless schemes with no community feel at all, just Tulloch gone feckin mad.

No thought, no infrastructure, no soul, i spoke to a guy from up mattar land and he's only got to know 2 neighbours in 3 years, never see's the rest.

Looks like we're being judged on a handful of what are, undeniably, ugly buildings.

Can't see I agree with the idea that the "Urban Sprawl" would classify as being ugly either. If you want ugly and impractical growth then you only have to look at places like Livingston where they have, and continue to get, it completely wrong. If you accept growth then you have to accept the needs that brings and we have at least avoided the temptation of going down the route of high rise flats which are little more than featureless boxes....in fact, the only issue I have with much of the development is that they are cramming nice looking houses too close together so you don't get to appreciate them fully.....but perhaps that's part of where they are coming from?

Those appartments above Foxes look awful...maybe thats where they got their idea from that the city was ugly. There are some other awful sights (Eastgate doesn't impress me) but its no worse than any other growing city I suppose. It depends whether you are looking at the city through tourist eyes or residents eyes. As a 'for instance' I think Coventry is very ugly but visitors find if attractive.

Those appartments above Foxes look awful...maybe thats where they got their idea from that the city was ugly. There are some other awful sights (Eastgate doesn't impress me) but its no worse than any other growing city I suppose. It depends whether you are looking at the city through tourist eyes or residents eyes. As a 'for instance' I think Coventry is very ugly but visitors find if attractive.

The appts above Foxes are a mile ahead of what was there before.

Maybe it is Eden Court they are thinking of. It used to be a an attractive building outside but is now an eyesore. The design of the extension is totally at odds with the original building from which it has stripped away all character. In fact, it is so bad I believe it has even won an architectural design prize. Inside, the bar and restaurant area used to be attractive and welcoming but the revampred bar is unbelievably ugly and austere whilst the restaurant is like a canteen.

I think it must be based on having the industrial estate next to the sea, so the first thing anyone sees is a load of old factories. Most of it though is quite nice. From the centre, you can see green hills, the Black Isle, a river, little bridges, old churches etc. Certainly wouldn't say it was anywhere near the ugliest in the UK by any means.

I think it must be based on having the industrial estate next to the sea, so the first thing anyone sees is a load of old factories. Most of it though is quite nice. From the centre, you can see green hills, the Black Isle, a river, little bridges, old churches etc. Certainly wouldn't say it was anywhere near the ugliest in the UK by any means.

The last visitors to arrive by sea were the Vikings.....I may be wrong, but I don't think all those buildings were there then. :lol:

Find it hard to belive that Peth isnt in this list

What are you basing that on, the bus station?

No, Muirton,Letham eg. But the are around the bus station is pretty bad

Edited by dan_ict

The last visitors to arrive by sea were the Vikings.

Not quite. The last visitors to arrive by sea were County fans coming over for a derby in the last days of the Kessock Ferry! :)

Seriously though, I agree with Doofersdad in that Eden Court has become an eyesore, made so much worse by the sickly yellow colour they've painted much of it. I was confused by "the apartments above Foxes" for a while because I couldn't remember any building operations above any newsagents in Tomnahurich Street. But then it dawned.... and I would have to say that what has been done there on the north west corner of Bridge Street is at least some improvement to a part of Inverness which is not at all nice and which was seriously botched in the 60s.

I also appreciate Heilandee's comments. It would be very easy to make a cheap joke about the City of Discovery at this point, but I will desist in a gesture of respect. :lol:

As far as I can see, the people who "judge" these awards are little more than a bunch of self appointed busybodies who serve absolutely no useful function in what they do, speak with absolutely no authority and get far more publicity for their superficial and vacuous comments than they deserve.

Edited by Charles Bannerman

I also appreciate Heilandee's comments. It would be very easy to make a cheap joke about the City of Discovery at this point, but I will desist in a gesture of respect. :lol:

Charles Dundee has some very beautiful architecture.

It's the residents (and their descendants) who are ugly.

Charles Dundee has some very beautiful architecture.

It's the residents (and their descendants) who are ugly.

OI! eh resemmble that remark

As far as I can see, the people who "judge" these awards are little more than a bunch of self appointed busybodies who serve absolutely no useful function in what they do, speak with absolutely no authority and get far more publicity for their superficial and vacuous comments than they deserve.

Some might say the same about Sportsound pundits debating over their man of the match :lol:

Well, I think our wee city's beautiful ~ the river, the castle, the cathedral, Eden Court, the flats above Foxes ~ the lot i-m_so_happy.gif

The building on the opposite corner from Foxes, that houses the Shapla restaurant is a bit of an eyesore...

Food's not great in there either.

Edited by Johnboy

The building on the opposite corner from Foxes, that houses the Shapla restaurant is a bit of an eyesore...Food's not great in there either.

I agree, on both points :001: But to say Inverness is 'ugly' is just ridiculous. The people who compiled the short-list are having a larf.

I often park on Ballifeary Road and walk into town. Whatever the season, whatever the weather, it's beautiful. Love it.