FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Caledonian Stadium

CaleyStag

Hi everyone. I'm kinda new to this so bear with me. :D

Are there plans to expand the stadium? There was talk of a west stand being built and filling in the corners between the JMcD stand and the north and south stands. Will anything significant be happening in the next 12 months? I know the clubs budget isn't up to much but if it's been discussed then there must be funds in place or a way of raising the funds. Apologies if this has already been discussed or if it's in the wrong place.

Cheers. SCF :lol:

Hi SCF...wellcome to the forum. As far as i am aware...there are no plans to expand the stadium, for the simple reason, apart from rangers and Cetic games, the stadium is suitable at the capacity it is. Basically, if they did these amendments you mention...they would be lying empty 90% of the games

I wouldn't expect to see anything major, especially in the current economic climate. I know there's been various rumours/talk about plans to add office pods and the like in to the corners etc over the years, but with so many empty units all over the city right now, then the chances of filling them would be slim.

There's also the talk/rumours about us moving if we ever got the right offer from a developer/big company, and with the City Development Plan starting to kick in over the next few years then it may not be worth any further investment at this stage.

rumours/talk about plans to add office pods and the like

Ponds at the corners would be even better. Mind you imagine at County games, think of the pollution when the gudgies took the opportunity of a bath in them.

It would be nice if the club just finished the west side with a roof and seats along the whole side like the ones that are there now. Be an extra 500 seats that would give us some good revenue on old firm days and wouldn't cost much to build I think.

It would be nice if the club just finished the west side with a roof and seats along the whole side like the ones that are there now. Be an extra 500 seats that would give us some good revenue on old firm days and wouldn't cost much to build I think.

Do we really need increased rent for seats that'll be used 3 times a season? It's all too easy spending someone elses money without needing to justify it.

The simple answer is that it wont happen .... The disparity between cost (quite expensive) and increased income (negligible at best over the season) will see to that. As noted, there would really only be a need for OF games and even these didnt sell out after the initial SPL flush wore off ......

Also - bear in mind that nothing too substantial can go on that side ... someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I think that is because the footprint of a bigger stand would bring the high pressure gas line that runs aong the side of the A9 into play.

Are there plans to expand the stadium? There was talk of a west stand being built and filling in the corners between the JMcD stand and the north and south stands. Will anything significant be happening in the next 12 months?

I would think that will be a matter for the owners of the stadium.

Hi SCF...wellcome to the forum. As far as i am aware...there are no plans to expand the stadium, for the simple reason, apart from rangers and Cetic games, the stadium is suitable at the capacity it is. Basically, if they did these amendments you mention...they would be lying empty 90% of the games

Even for those games it wasn't selling out towards the end of our SPL stint. But I agree, it is suitable at the capacity it is. The frustrating thing is if glory hunting never existed, it'd be a sell-out every game.

The simple answer is that it wont happen .... The disparity between cost (quite expensive) and increased income (negligible at best over the season) will see to that. As noted, there would really only be a need for OF games and even these didnt sell out after the initial SPL flush wore off ......

Also - bear in mind that nothing too substantial can go on that side ... someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I think that is because the footprint of a bigger stand would bring the high pressure gas line that runs aong the side of the A9 into play.

That more or less sums up the situation as I understand it at a time when money is tight and there are several much higher priorities. And yes, there would be a problem with the gas line. I recollect that David Sutherland once told me that it could be overcome with something called a cantilever - but that would cost a million.

In any case the current capacity of 7700 just about matches the absolute maximum that could now be expected next season, on the basis of what OF attendances had slightly declined to in 2008-09.

I think I'd better stop this now or we will have IHE back on about the aquifer...... :tonguecheek:

Celtic are in the news just now about fudging the figures to cover their red faces over poor attendances.

Either the economic challenges have now filtered down into the Celtic hordes or their club are assailed with the same type of situation every other club are facing--too expensive tickets and a LOT of fair-weather fans who will eventuially only turn up to see a winning team.

Who can blame the fans when the only excitement next season is likely to be at Tulloch CA :tonguecheek: LEDONIAN (THISTLE) stadium.

Aye, but that report was dated mid-January when the league lokked quite different to how it is now, and C*unty were third. The final quote was the most telling:

Mr Siegel said the club would not find themselves in the situation that Caley Thistle endured when they were promoted and had to groundshare with Aberdeen.

"All we are doing is trying to ensure that Ross County is in the right position should things work in our favour," he said.

But they didn't. Och well, there's always next time . . . now if you'll excuse us . . . championees, championees oh way oh way oh way!!!