FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

4-2-3-1

bauhaus

Nice to see that the Dutch have been watching our success last season. Adopting our style of two holding midfielders, 3 attacking midfielders/wingers with a one man striking position. Seems to be the most entertaining style of play around at the moment

Nice to see that the Dutch have been watching our success last season. Adopting our style of two holding midfielders, 3 attacking midfielders/wingers with a one man striking position. Seems to be the most entertaining style of play around at the moment

It certainly proving to be effective. Inter also used it and went on to become European champions.

What was wrong with the 2-1-2-5 formation that I grew up with? Produced more goals and more excitement.

It's all about tactics and formations and numbers these days it seems. It's more often than not stalemated , cat and mouse, sterile , boring football nowadays.

Whereas, in the old days it was a much more unpredictable and free flowing game ,IMO.

Youngsters don't know what they're missing. And if the players are so much more skilled nowadays than they were in my youful past then why do we see do many balls blootered over the bar--not only just OVER the bar but 30 feet over the bar. Professional footballers should surely have learnt ball control, especially from free kicks, at soccer preschool.

I was thinking the same thing yesterday watching the WC final.

Especially when you try and kick your opponents off the park at the same time....

Especially when you try and kick your opponents off the park at the same time....

Must be some of that Dutch 'Total Football'. Oh the beautiful game.

I wonder what the next big formation will be. Formations seem to come in phases. In the 70s, 4-2-4 was the big one, the late 80s and early 90s saw the rise of 3-5-2 and 4-4-2. 4-4-2 seems to have died away a bit in the last few years to be replaced with the 4-2-3-1. What will the 2010s bring?

I wonder what the next big formation will be. Formations seem to come in phases. In the 70s, 4-2-4 was the big one, the late 80s and early 90s saw the rise of 3-5-2 and 4-4-2. 4-4-2 seems to have died away a bit in the last few years to be replaced with the 4-2-3-1. What will the 2010s bring?

Maybe something more like Man U and Argentina have sometimes played, i.e. a 4-3-3 but not in the traditional sense but one where it's 3 more defensive midfielders and 3 more attack-minded mids but no out-and-out striker/wingers. It allows more creation and is difficult to man mark. However, those three attackers need to be some players to be both creative and predators.