FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Black's Suspension

kencar

I read that Ian Black is likely to be suspended for 2 games after the Falkirk match meaning he'll miss both the St Mirren & Aberdeen games.

I was under the impression that he'd only miss the 1 game!!

Anyone know how the penalty points system works?

Do you get more points for say a booking for dissent that you do for persistent fouling??

Now I'm a bit confused by this.  Blackie was on 5 bookings and would be due a suspension with 6.  He was 'rested' for the Dunfermline game and I thought that there were 2 reasons for this.

1. To teach him a lesson - bit of discipline

and

2. To avoid another booking which would take him to the suspension tally.

Now I thought that this was to save him for the Rangers game, but I think you are right Kencar and the suspension doesn't start until the 'next again' game, rather than the one immediately following.  So now I am confused, but I will try to find out a bit more.

Quoted from the SFA Handbook:

3.7.2 On accumulating 18 penalty points in a League competition, a player will

automatically incur a suspension for a number of matches, starting with one match

for his first 18 penalty points, and increasing by one match for each successive 18

points accumulation, within a two season period. In effect, a player's record over

the current season and the immediately preceding season will be taken into

account.

should add this too:

3.7.4 Any period of suspension incurred by a player as a result of his having accumulated

18 or more penalty points, shall commence on the 14th day following the date of

the offence which resulted in the incurring of the suspension.The suspension shall

apply until such time as the requisite number of matches have been completed by

his club in the competition in which the suspension was incurred, in accordance

with the provisions of Paragraph 3.8.

think that just about explains the suspension criteria

Thanks that clears that up a bit at least.  I was sure I had read somewhere that Charlie was going to rest him for the Dunfermline game to save him for the Rangers game. (as well as showing a bit of discipline).  With the international break that makes 14 days between games.  So in most cases that would be the 'next again' game, but not on this occasion.

Cheers

he was only on 5 bookings before the Rangers game and got booked in that one to earn his suspension .... I thought he was suspended for this weekend, but based on the previous posts I guess he is eligible for this game but not the St Mirren one ??

Yes Scotty I think that's right.  But if he had played and got a booking in the Pars game he would have been suspended for Ibrox as there was a 14 day gap between the games with the international break.

We need another home win on Saturday so let's hope he is on form to take a bit of revenge on Falkirk.

So the advice that Black has taken from his manager and others appears to have gone in one ear and out the other.  I've not seen the tackle last Saturday so I can't comment on it.  Some reports say it was a harsh booking others say it was a lunge and he was lucky not to get sent off.  I think what he needs to learn quick is how to tackle hard but fairly.  You can be as competitive and tough in the tackle as you like but still do it fairly and without being wreckless or going in two footed.

Ian you're a marked man with regard to refs, you need to wise up or you're going to spend a large part of season suspended and also risk loosing your place.

SFA publish news of suspensions on their website weekly and the news is:

Scottish Premier League

14/10/06  - IAN BLACK (INVERNESS CALEDONIAN THISTLE) - 2 SPL First Team matches from 28/10/2006

15/10/06  - SCOTT BROWN (HIBERNIAN F.C.) - 2 SPL First Team matches from 29/10/2006

15/10/06  - SAULIUS MIKOLIUNAS (HEART OF MIDLOTHIAN F.C.) - 1 SPL First Team match immediate

So the advice that Black has taken from his manager and others appears to have gone in one ear and out the other.  I've not seen the tackle last Saturday so I can't comment on it.  Some reports say it was a harsh booking others say it was a lunge and he was lucky not to get sent off.  I think what he needs to learn quick is how to tackle hard but fairly.  You can be as competitive and tough in the tackle as you like but still do it fairly and without being wreckless or going in two footed.

Ian you're a marked man with regard to refs, you need to wise up or you're going to spend a large part of season suspended and also risk loosing your place.

In Blackie's defence that was a real "pack it feckin in" old style tackle. If not fer his reputation it would not have got a booking. But afterwards, and possibly another half time bollocking, he screwed the nut. RESPECT.  :011: :011: He is and will improve. Reckon he will get SPL player of the month in 2007.