FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Mark McGhee has left the building

old caley girl

I kinda think you are all right and that Terry loves it in Inverness too much to go just now. However, there is always a little doubt creeps in when all the speculation is ongoing.

No doubt creeping in with me. Mark McGhee was never the problem at Aberdeen. He inherited a group of players. He thought he'd be able to replace them with better but then realised the money is no longer there. Aberdeen has two problems. One is the major shareholder and the other the Director of Football. Milne is struggling and his company could be the next building empire to fold. Miller is just an @rse and interferes too much. Terry would want stability and no interfering. That could never be gauranteed so he'll stay with us. Besides, he's already achieved the 'straight back up' challenge. Given a chance of European football or another 'straight back up' challenge..............what's the choice.

The British football management merry-go-round is currently at an average waiting time of 16 months and 13 days*. If Terry and Mo fancy a move during a downturn in fortunes they just need to stick around for a few weeks and a 'plum' vacancy will pop up.

Aberdeen, now, with ICT's stock so high isn't the fruity moment. Any fule kno that.

*I made that up...but go prove me wrong!

I'm hoping Terry may have learned from 'Well. A top six or even Europe might boost his salary/budget. If he does, well, McCoist might be looking for some help next year. If he goes to Aberdeen, he might get a salary top-up but risks another relegation on his CV, a poor squad that needs huge improvement, the threat of the sack and no better than short-term survival before a massive rebuild with no cash. Doesn't look great to me.

Can't see Strachan coming back. Despite Boro, his stock is still higher. I'd like to see Robbo be given the chance. I suspect it might be Gus McPherson or Billy Reid - grafters designed to avoid relegation. Both Yogi and, dare I say it, Calderwood (Jimmy that is) would be good longer term catches. The latter would involve a little more than a slice of that delicious humble pie though. Anyone ever thought Willie Miller was especially humble?

Just had a look at the Aberdeen forum and one poster named "3points" had this to say about Butcher -

I spoke to Terry the monday after our huge celtic defeat and i asked him if he would fancy the Aberdeen job and he said "no manager with old firm connections should manage Aberdeen" but he also said that it would be hugely rewarding for anyone to gain success at pittodrie. Now possibly money (which we don't have) could change his mind but after hearing that i am 99% sure he will never manage AFC.

I have posted this info a couple of times before but have never stated that i spoke to him direct (name dropping and all that) but i swear this to be true and this is one name we can stroke off that lengthy short list.

Edited by Renegade

Think Yogi, Jim McIntyre or their captain to be given a player manager roll. Any other SPL manager would be insane to move, even Billy Reid, so it will be someone on the dole, or an up and coming lower division manager. Mind Ossie Ardiles name always pops up.

P&J Back page runs with main story - Dream is over for McGhee (surely that should be nightmare). Secondary story - Brewster quits Ross County after missing hotseat......

That would be the best Christmas present ever!

The Sun reckons Billy Stark is the man for Aberdeen - that will do me and I think Terry and Mo would be daft to leave Caley - look what happened to Pele when he went to Aberdeen, Robertson at Hearts and Brewster at Dundee United. :thumbup:

them bbc staff can be clowns at times 90 per cent of aberdeen fans dont like big terry as he is a ex rangers player so looks like we are safe this time,bbc sportssound are all ways wrong

got my boxing gloves on for any bbc staff that like to take a pop at me

Edited by northstand

them bbc staff can be clowns at times 90 per cent of aberdeen fans dont like big terry as he is a ex rangers player so looks like we are safe this time,bbc sportssound are all ways wrong

Tango man being a bit of a hun was his downfall....

John Robertson??

i never thought of him. that's a darn good shout, sir.

Personally I doubt Robbo would be interested. Having just got back into the game after being out for a good three years I would think he'd prefer to stay where he is and get back into the swing rather than take a job like that one.

Tango man being a bit of a hun was his downfall....

Sir Alex was ex-Rangers too, but they don't see such a problem with that for some reason......unsure.gif

Just had a look at the Aberdeen forum and one poster named "3points" had this to say about Butcher -

I spoke to Terry the monday after our huge celtic defeat and i asked him if he would fancy the Aberdeen job and he said "no manager with old firm connections should manage Aberdeen" but he also said that it would be hugely rewarding for anyone to gain success at pittodrie. Now possibly money (which we don't have) could change his mind but after hearing that i am 99% sure he will never manage AFC.

I have posted this info a couple of times before but have never stated that i spoke to him direct (name dropping and all that) but i swear this to be true and this is one name we can stroke off that lengthy short list.

Good thinking Tel, make it seem like you would if you could, but you canae.

If they made Paul Hartley player manager, I would be delighted.

Looked on their message board and they mostly seem to want Steve Clarke - who's never had any managerial experience and knows little of the Scottish game. No-one wants John Hughes as he did very well most of the time at Falkirk, until towards the end of his reign or his 4th place finish in the SPL. Crazy!

And I noticed some Celtic fan wanted Strachan to take the job as he did a terrible job by dismantling MON's team over three years :blink: the stupidity of some supporters!

He is too old to still play.

Rubbish, he may be lacking in pace (I haven't seen any evidence of that) he more than makes up for that with experience and in that Dons team they are desperate for a leader on the park. Even coming on for the last 15 minutes of games he could help save their season.