FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

BBC disgrace

TopSix

60 members have voted

1. 1. Is the BBC a disgrace for pulling the plug on the highlights?

• Aye
    • No

Shamelessly lifted from P&B:

"With only two games taking place at the weekend (at grounds that are fit for purpose - take note Lawwell & Bain), and with three of the form teams in the SPL(and Hibs), the BBC have scrapped tonights Sportscene program.

As if proof was needed that they are only interested in the old firm."

This is an absolute disgrace the BBC pulling the programme. What is their excuse I wonder...

• Agree 1

I was actually going to mention this earlier, for the very same reason. Al wager that if either half of the Old Firm had played, it would have been shown.

Match Of The Day ran on saturday night with just two games to show, none ivolving any of the big teams

unfortunately, other than the first few seconds and the last few seconds of the highlights this week, the clip on ictfc.com certainly puts the old Jam Tarts in a better light than us !

Young Templeton is something else.

Robbo was raving about him when he was at Stenhousemuir a few years ago & I remembered posting this (hope link works??)

http://community.cal...h__1#entry38498

Yes you did and it was suggested at the time that we maybe should have put up thee cash for him but, I wonder, would our fans have been so patient in the wait to see him on the pitch. After all its taken over three years for him to bedcome a first team player at Tynie.

• Agree 2

I complained about this on Saturday on their Facebook page and this is their reply,

Sportscene

We understand the disappointment but unfortunately with only 2 SPL games on this weekend it just isn't enough for a programme, especially as only one of the games was an outside broadcast - Kilmarnock vs Hibs. We don't cover the games in te...rms of camera coverage - it's actually done by a variety of companies - and we just get the pictures delivered to us. Frankly it's all to do with the material available and sadly it's just not enough for a proper full televisual highlights show this weekend. Apologies. But as we say, the highlights of both matches - Kilmarnock's 2-1 win over Hibs and Hearts 1-1 draw with Inverness will be available from the website - bbc.co.uk/sportscotland - from 6pm tomorrow.See more

Saturday at 17:55 ? LikeUnlike ?

I find it very short sighted on the part of the BBC, and more than a little disappointing given that they are one of the bigger media partners.

OK, so we only had 2 games, but given the circumstances I'm sure the SPL would have been happy that they use a little more footage than might normally be the case and it's not as if we had 2 games that were short on goals and/or action for them to discuss. They could have had some discussion about the league as a whole, ICT's unbeaten run on the road, why Aberdeen are toiling at the bottom, Hearts hot on the heels of Celtic, Brown going to Aberdeen and how it might effect Motherwell, Hibs struggling to push into the top 6.

What's more, with the ongoing debate/discussion surrounding league reconstruction they could easily have filled another chunk of time with that subject, not to mention the discussion around the cause of their only being 2 games and a look at how the weather effects the football calendar and the subject of the winter break.

All topics that could have been thrown in at the last minute without the need for too much preparation.

The subjects/material were there for them to produce a show which would have been a welcome change from the usual OF dominated offerings we get every other week and they blew it.

• Agree 3

not impressed but....

this is really a bigger debate and could easily be moved to serious topics. we ALL have to pay a licence fee and the bbc are the company that gains from this, we should be entitled therefore to unbiased fair and even reporting but time and time again it has been shown that they can not or will not acknowledge the teams outside the old firm fairly, i did hear it mentioned i think on your call the other week that even if we played one of the in firm offf the park that the medias focus would not be on how well we have preformed but how poorly they have.

it is a sad state of affairs to admit but this also goes further than the world of football and is frequently evident in all aspects of there broadcasting. it has to be said that is the licence fee really valid any more when the corporation is failing in being impartial and to live up to the needs/requests of the public?

:irritated:

• Agree 1

I find it very short sighted on the part of the BBC, and more than a little disappointing given that they are one of the bigger media partners.

OK, so we only had 2 games, but given the circumstances I'm sure the SPL would have been happy that they use a little more footage than might normally be the case and it's not as if we had 2 games that were short on goals and/or action for them to discuss. They could have had some discussion about the league as a whole, ICT's unbeaten run on the road, why Aberdeen are toiling at the bottom, Hearts hot on the heels of Celtic, Brown going to Aberdeen and how it might effect Motherwell, Hibs struggling to push into the top 6.

What's more, with the ongoing debate/discussion surrounding league reconstruction they could easily have filled another chunk of time with that subject, not to mention the discussion around the cause of their only being 2 games and a look at how the weather effects the football calendar and the subject of the winter break.

All topics that could have been thrown in at the last minute without the need for too much preparation.

The subjects/material were there for them to produce a show which would have been a welcome change from the usual OF dominated offerings we get every other week and they blew it.

What? You mean the TV part of the BBC being able to actually do some thinking on their feet and be able to produce a programme out of thin air in the same way that their radio colleagues sometimes do? There seems to be plenty of subjects around to keep Sportsound filled up - even if OAM was off last week due to weather .....

As a fan & viewer we have been short changed by the BBC regarding SPL highlights for years now, each progressivly getting worse. Out of 6 games a wk, they struggle to show a 30min programme at a 'decent' day & time. The highlights amount to little more than the goals, very little else (unless its an extended 5 mins of highlights from one of the OF games), the guests are usually very poor quality as well, with no real discussion into the relevent issues or the games shown.Sadly it has me looking back to STV & Scotsport (ok, Jim White was a ***) and the better quality, guests and highlights. Its about time if the Beeb are serious about supporting Scottish football they covered the TV side as good as the radio. If they can pull together a show like MOTD with only 2 games or in most wks 6 games, then the same on a Sunday, have high quality guests & topical discussions then why not do that up here?Perhaps its time for the beeb to overhaul their programme in line with what happens in the league structure - let everyone & everything be new, fresh & what the fans want!!

Had it been on ITV I could see the reasoning, but not the BBC. Even the antiques roadshow has slim pickings some weeks but the show must go on!

Had the OF been playing each other in a sole game of the weekend, would they have showed it...

Yes.

I have to agree with you completely. If it had been ITV, I could have seen the logic - certainly their 'sports centre' 'programme' on a Friday night is dire and very biased toward the ugly sisters. This should not be the case with the BBC. They could have easily made a 30 minute programme from the highlights from both games with a few interviews placed in to bulk it up. I would have liked to have seen the gaffer interviewed. Managers' interviews online run on to around five minutes. I sorry, but there's no excuse for this.

Edited by Top Six Next Year

Absolute OF biased. Bet your ass they would have showed highlights if only they were playing.

I would be interested to know if pulling their weekly OF show is built into their T&C's with the SPL/SFA

Edited by BornCaley