FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Player Contract Status

Scotty

Advantages of 1 Year Deals that immediately spring to mind.....

- No long term financial commitment.

- New players may not be as good as expected and can be offloaded easily.

- Players with potential to play at higher level don't feel "tied in" and willing to give us a year.

- Prevents complacency, players always playing for new contract...either with us or elsewhere.

- Keeping the team "fresh" with new faces makes it tougher for teams to get a read on us as seasons go by.

Had it been a manager like Brewster who was adopting this kind of policy then I would be really worried, but Butcher seems to have ample contacts for finding (free) players year on year and if he's happy and confident that he can whip a squad with a higher than usual turnover rate into shape every summer then it's a policy that could work....it's risky, but you learn/achieve nothing by standing still and doing the same thing time after time.

I notice some of these contracts also seem to be offered with an "option" included, so it's just as conceivable that Butcher does want to give some longer deals but they don't want to commit to that.

With the financial state of the game in Scotland as it is right now a prudent approach to spending and future spending commitment does make some sense.

(I'd still be happier seeing more longer term contracts though)

• Agree 1

Diadvantages :-

Nothing set in stone---could lead to restless players as the season comes closer to an end. Aad instability.

Performance may fall off--e.g. Adam Rooney's towards the end of our last season. Clearly he must have been thinking more of his future (club?) rather than concentrating on assisting ICT to do well towards the end.

Planning for the future very difficult indeed for the Manager.

Formerly , i.e. up to now, we have had local players who were settled, confident of their place, understood their options and salary expectations and loved to be at home in Inverness. All leading to a more settled existence and allowed them to do some planning for their future.

Now, however, under our new scheme of things nothing is settled, instability is, and always will be for the foreseeable future, in the wind and we cannot rely on the attraction of being "at home" to have the slightest impact on the desire of younger, ambitious players to stay in Inverness--unless they REALLY like the City and environs of course.

I agree that there are many unknown and different factors that could affect all of this but, personally, I feel that the strength of a new team will depend entirely on the way it gels and its related success(es) as the matches unfold under their feet. If injuries reduce the the team's effectiveness severely for any length of time then such a team comprised of newbies could falter and maybe flounder and founder. I short we could start with a very vulnerable team for the SPL.

Just a thought! :ponder:

• Agree 2

Diadvantages :-

Nothing set in stone---could lead to restless players as the season comes closer to an end. Aad instability.

This is where the manager comes in to his own. I would expect with those on 1 year deals that are showing promise, then we'd be talking to them sooner rather than later with a view to extending their stay.

Performance may fall off--e.g. Adam Rooney's towards the end of our last season. Clearly he must have been thinking more of his future (club?) rather than concentrating on assisting ICT to do well towards the end.

I would say, for the most part, players looking for new clubs/contracts would be more inclined to up their game. I also don't agree with the argument that Rooney somehow dipped in form towards the end of the season.

Planning for the future very difficult indeed for the Manager.

It's the manager who's offering the shorter contracts, so I imagine he's ok with the challenge.

Formerly , i.e. up to now, we have had local players who were settled, confident of their place, understood their options and salary expectations and loved to be at home in Inverness. All leading to a more settled existence and allowed them to do some planning for their future.

Our own young players are all being offered 2 year contracts as far as I can see, so the 1 year thing doesn't really effect them.

Now, however, under our new scheme of things nothing is settled, instability is, and always will be for the foreseeable future, in the wind and we cannot rely on the attraction of being "at home" to have the slightest impact on the desire of younger, ambitious players to stay in Inverness--unless they REALLY like the City and environs of course.

Sorry, but as much as I am a fan of ICT, I would expect any young player with ambition to be looking at ICT as nothing more than a stepping stone to bigger and better things, especially at the moment.

I agree that there are many unknown and different factors that could affect all of this but, personally, I feel that the strength of a new team will depend entirely on the way it gels and its related success(es) as the matches unfold under their feet. If injuries reduce the the team's effectiveness severely for any length of time then such a team comprised of newbies could falter and maybe flounder and founder. I short we could start with a very vulnerable team for the SPL.

Just a thought! :ponder:

Again, this is for the manager to "manage" and as he seems to be doing things his way...unlike in the past when there's always been a hint of interference from above...then you have to assume he's comfortable with it. Injuries etc can impact heavily on any team whether it's made up of long serving players or not, in fact we had a bit of that issue last season. What's more, it was the new/young guys who stepped into the breach and performed to ensure we didn't flounder and a couple of them performed so well they became mainstays in the matchday squad.

It's not as if we are starting the season with a squad of 20+ strangers, nor are we likely to be doing so in the future. Our turnover of players will very likely increase and time will tell whether or not that's for the better or not.

It feels like unfamiliar territory, but we've had closed seasons like this before where a number of new faces have come in. The difference this time is that it seems to be happening through choice instead of circumstance...and we have afar more experienced manager at the helm who is conducting proceedings.

Some of the new players will move on to bigger and better things, some will need more development before moving on, some will find their level here and some won't make the grade. We seem to be cutting out the risk of being stuck with those that don't make the grade whilst remaining attractive to players with potential looking for a step up who don't want to be tied in anywhere.

What we lose with 1 year deals is the chance to cash in on those who move on and up, but football is hardly a sellers market these days and big pay days for young players are few and far between so you have to manage the risk v reward. We seem to be betting on our own young guys in that regard (which makes sense as those are the players we know best) and giving them the 2 year deals, and that's a good thing.

One dud on the books for a year longer than we want them there could easily wipe out any fee we might get for selling on one other player and given the ratio of players released to players sold and the fees being commanded just now, then those are not good odds.

I'd love for us to be giving players 2 or 3 year deals, but right now, I don't think we can afford to do that and Butcher looks to be thinking outside the normal parameters expected from ICT to overcome that. It could be argued that he's simply being more realistic by not chasing the elusive "big sale" that this club has been chasing for 17 years without success.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/2310534?UserKey=

Rooney and Duff are told by the club that they cant wait forever as training resumes on Tuesday.

Rooney could probably delay slightly longer not just because of his reputation up front but we are down to the bare bones for strikers so could be given a couple of days grace.

If I was Duff I would be a bit worried that the contract offer may be withdrawn unless its for a predominantly right back position, we already have a lot of good quality proven players for midfield, + 1 extra almost signed and 2 midfield youngsters knocking on the door of the first team and if they make as much progress as Ross and Sutherland then things are looking good.

Edited by 12th Man

If i were Duff i would take ICT's offer. He is not likely to get a longer deal or a deal with an SPL club. If he does go then he will be easy to replace imo.

I would give Rooney maybe another 10 days. If he does nothing then i would start pursuing other targets. Cant monopolise our plans over him.

He's from Aberdeen and only ever played with Dundee United and the Dons so can't see much connection with Fife. I suspect it's purely the length of the deal (although I've no inside info). So far, he's spent his whole career at established SPL sides, so must think a better contract is out there. He's not the youngest of players, so might think he needs to maximise his earnings at the peak of his career. Getting near to deal-or-no-deal now.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

The arguments against long term contracts can be summarised in one word: Barrowman.

Nah, I think that's a bit of an apples and oranges scenario. Barrowman was given a longish contract and was totally unproven at SPL level. Players like Gillet, Tokely and the gang have proven themselves to be good SPL players and should thus warrant a longer deal.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

I don't think Butchers record for signing players is as good as people make out. I had a wee look at the list of his signings and there are a few flops, most of the signings are very average with a couple gems thrown in.

Richie Foran - Excellent signing

Johnny Hayes - Excellent signing

Kenny Gillet - Injured for most of the season but looks very impressive.

Lee Cox - Good solid signing

Jonny Tuffey - Excellent backup keeper to have

The rest of the players he signed are either shockingly bad or fairly average and could have been replaced by any player really.

Chris Hogg - Looked good but was only here for 6 months, i'd liked to have seen him for longer.

Dani Sanchez - Average player that didn't even set the first division alight

Stuart Golabek - Good first division player for 1 season.

Stuart Duff - Average player who will always be seen as a rotational player, top 6 player? i don't think so.

Eric Odhiambo - Average signing who helped with rotations.

Chris Innes - We really didn't need him

Brian Kerr - Rubbish

Robert Eagle - Rubbish

Daniel Stratford - Rubbish

Nauris Bulvitis - Rubbish

Gil Blumstein - Rubbish

Max Johnson - Didn't even get a chance

Then theres the loanings of:

Alex Macdonald - We didn't need him

Kevin McCann - Far too injury prone and again didn't convince myself he could hold down a regular spot.

Aaron Doran - I liked him and would have loved to have seen him for longer.

Out of all of those players i'd only ever be screaming to hold onto Foran and Hayes. I rate Cox but i've still always thought Duncan was better. Butcher has signed 7 defenders and apart from Gillet possibly i would say Grant Munro was better than them all and yet he gets punted. Strangely enough i would say our best two players last season were Ryan Esson and Adam Rooney, both Craig Brewsters signings.

Terry Butcher has seemed to work well with what he has got but with more players leaving he is making this team his own and i don't think his signing ratio for talented youth players is that excellent. I really hope to be proved wrong this season though and can't wait for the first game against Clach.

• Agree 3
  • Disagree 4

Hmmm....yet somehow he managed to just about save us from relegation when most would have given no hope upon his arrival, win promotion at the first time of asking and secure a 7th place finish in the SPL (narrowly missing out on top 6).

I'm not going to argue with your rating of individual players, that's largely opinion and we won't all agree....however, some would have been signed with a view to being starting 11, some would have been seen as squad players and one or two were perhaps reluctant signings but needed due to circumstance. They may not all have been superstars, but they got the job done and that's what matters.

• Agree 4
  • Disagree 2

I don't think Butchers record for signing players is as good as people make out. I had a wee look at the list of his signings and there are a few flops, most of the signings are very average with a couple gems thrown in.

Richie Foran - Excellent signing

Johnny Hayes - Excellent signing

Kenny Gillet - Injured for most of the season but looks very impressive.

Lee Cox - Good solid signing

Jonny Tuffey - Excellent backup keeper to have

The rest of the players he signed are either shockingly bad or fairly average and could have been replaced by any player really.

Chris Hogg - Looked good but was only here for 6 months, i'd liked to have seen him for longer.

Dani Sanchez - Average player that didn't even set the first division alight

Stuart Golabek - Good first division player for 1 season.

Stuart Duff - Average player who will always be seen as a rotational player, top 6 player? i don't think so.

Eric Odhiambo - Average signing who helped with rotations.

Chris Innes - We really didn't need him

Brian Kerr - Rubbish

Robert Eagle - Rubbish

Daniel Stratford - Rubbish

Nauris Bulvitis - Rubbish

Gil Blumstein - Rubbish

Max Johnson - Didn't even get a chance

Then theres the loanings of:

Alex Macdonald - We didn't need him

Kevin McCann - Far too injury prone and again didn't convince myself he could hold down a regular spot.

Aaron Doran - I liked him and would have loved to have seen him for longer.

Out of all of those players i'd only ever be screaming to hold onto Foran and Hayes. I rate Cox but i've still always thought Duncan was better. Butcher has signed 7 defenders and apart from Gillet possibly i would say Grant Munro was better than them all and yet he gets punted. Strangely enough i would say our best two players last season were Ryan Esson and Adam Rooney, both Craig Brewsters signings.

Terry Butcher has seemed to work well with what he has got but with more players leaving he is making this team his own and i don't think his signing ratio for talented youth players is that excellent. I really hope to be proved wrong this season though and can't wait for the first game against Clach.

You also seemed to have missed out on another aspect of his job and that is developing and having belief in local young tallent, our only home grown tallent has been Murno since the merger and already we have Shinnie, Ross and Sutherland I cant fault the youth set up as they have done a tremdous job bringing on the youngsters but its still the manager who picks the team.

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

Wouldn't have said Kerr was a rubbish signing (awaiting a slagging for that.) Thought he did ok when he came in, but he was no better than Russell say. Stratford and Eagle came with the status of being a 1st Division club and they were rubbish.

No manager is going to have an immaculate record of signing players. Ferguson signed Veron, Mourinho signed Kezman, Souness signed Boumsong. There is always going to be duds signed at some point. Thats the way football is.

Butcher knows what he's doing.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Wouldn't have said Kerr was a rubbish signing (awaiting a slagging for that.) Thought he did ok when he came in, but he was no better than Russell say. Stratford and Eagle came with the status of being a 1st Division club and they were rubbish.

No manager is going to have an immaculate record of signing players. Ferguson signed Veron, Mourinho signed Kezman, Souness signed Boumsong. There is always going to be duds signed at some point. Thats the way football is.

Eagle and Stratford may have came with the status of being a 1st Division club but so did Hayes and Cox and they are comfortably competing in the SPL. All i'm saying is his record for signing top 6 players isn't the best. Out of around 20 signings Hayes and Foran are the only ones that stand out for being gems. He's letting players go that are already established at SPL level to bring in players that may play like Stratford, Bulvitis, Sanchez, Odhiambo, Eagle and more importantly Blumstein who was signed to do a job in the SPL and yet failed to deliver big time. I do hope that he does manage to bring in some quality players but to bring in as many as he needs to is certainly going to be hard and i can easily see a few more flops being signed this summer, Tansey and Tade might even be them!

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Eagle and Stratford may have came with the status of being a 1st Division club but so did Hayes and Cox and they are comfortably competing in the SPL. All i'm saying is his record for signing top 6 players isn't the best. Out of around 20 signings Hayes and Foran are the only ones that stand out for being gems. He's letting players go that are already established at SPL level to bring in players that may play like Stratford, Bulvitis, Sanchez, Odhiambo, Eagle and more importantly Blumstein who was signed to do a job in the SPL and yet failed to deliver big time. I do hope that he does manage to bring in some quality players but to bring in as many as he needs to is certainly going to be hard and i can easily see a few more flops being signed this summer, Tansey and Tade might even be them!

Agreed with what your saying about Hayes and Cox but they were an unkown quantity as well when they came in. Your right some have been a complete waste of time with Blumenshtein being the best example. But i will reserve judgement for the new lads this season for when we are a few games in.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Folks - this is the update to current contract status thread .... don't hijack it to discuss how good (or bad) other signings have been in the past, please start your own thread !

Spot on Scotty - there isnt any good or bad signings - we have a very limited scope and budget and lets face it - most of the players have had experience, backgrounds and potential - but then there is injuries, not settling and the SPL game (especially fer non Scots) - there is however good and bad performers - but that comes in retrospect.

Keep Rooney and we are laffing.

• Agree 1

Maybe things will become a bit clearer this week as the players return to training. Would have thought its make yr mind up time for Duff and Rooney and would like to think there will still be some more coming in.

Totally off topic :offtopic01: (sorry Scotty) but did anyone see Granty on stv at teatime? Had to laugh at him calling his new team "them" instead of "us". Think his new surroundings are going to get a bit of getting used to!!!

Notice on the Official site squad list that Kevin McCann is listed. Everyone else who has been released is off, so anyone heard any rumours with regards to him being signed, or is it maybe just a mistake?

Also on Duff, may be against popular opinion, but glad it looks like he is signing on. Not the most flash of players but think he offers good options and cover in different positions. Always feel he does a job wherever he is asked to play. Important for a small squad like ours, especially if you look at the times last season we couldn't even fill a bench due to injuries.

Notice on the Official site squad list that Kevin McCann is listed. Everyone else who has been released is off, so anyone heard any rumours with regards to him being signed, or is it maybe just a mistake?

I would go with mistake .... his loan ended earlier than others so the 3rd party company that supplies those stats probably just forgot to take him off ....

• 4 weeks later...