FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Caledonian Scarf?

SMEE

Agree entirely with Smee and Charles that Caledonian FC, despite dropping their geographical prefix in fit of pique, Inverness Thistle and ICT have a proud combined history amounting in total to over 260 years and that it is wholly appropriate to celerbate all three tranches on this forum.

Now, to business, I need a new rag to clean my car and will happily offer a quid for that ribbon of nylon and acrylic !

• Agree 2

Agree entirely with Smee and Charles that Caledonian FC, despite dropping their geographical prefix in fit of pique, Inverness Thistle and ICT have a proud combined history amounting in total to over 260 years and that it is wholly appropriate to celerbate all three tranches on this forum.

Now, to business, I need a new rag to clean my car and will happily offer a quid for that ribbon of nylon and acrylic !

At least a Caley scarf would have some use. Did the Jags actualy have a scarf considering they only had 50 or so real fans! :tongueincheek:

I have a Jags scarf, it belonged to my Dad but I borrowed it to wear to the Challenge Cup final game against Alloa back in... (whenever it was!) as I'd left mine under a pool table I was dancing on the night before (don't ask!) and he's never got it back!

I like the Caley v Jags banter and am proud of our Highland league past.

One more thing... MON THE JAGS!!

Niall Calder

According to this link, Niall Calder sat on the bench with his dad for a game against Partick in 2002. He was 15 at the time.*

* - That also leads me on to mention that a couple of seasons ago, a player (now disappeared by the looks of things) named Connor Rennie was mentioned in the press as the youngest ever player to be part of the ICT squad at 16. If the info about Niall Calder is true, then this accolade is then false.

Niall Calder is no relation to Jimmy Calder.

Think his nickname was Nero??..can't remember his first name

Em...Neros first name was Alex too but he was from the western Isles...not Skye...unless he moved...which is perfectly conceivable :)

Has Skye moved. It was one of the western isles last time I was there.

Also... are the Polworths perhaps also the first father and son to have played for the "Caledonian and Thistle Tradition" since ICT was founded? I have a feeling that someone will come up with another example here!

Am i right in thinking Ex ICT player Martin Bavidge is the son of (the rather gifted) Ex Caley player Mitch Bavidge?

Yes Smee, you are correct, Martin is indeed Mitch's son. He used to come to our games quite regularly when Martin was on the books.

Em...Neros first name was Alex too but he was from the ...not Skye...unless he moved...which is perfectly conceivable :)

My understanding has always been that Skye is The Inner Hebbridies. The Western Isles, in my understanding, is generally considered to be places such as The Isles of Harris, Lewis, Barra etc, places in the OUTER hebridies, hence the name WESTERN isles!.....and given your widely observed propensity to be wrong Alex...you will have to excuse me if i hold firm with my views for now. Then again, considering Geography isnt my strong point, along with many other things, I am open to the idea that i could be wrong on this.

Edited by SMEE
  • Agree 2

Em...Neros first name was Alex too but he was from the ...not Skye...unless he moved...which is perfectly conceivable :)

My understanding has always been that Skye is The Inner Hebbridies. The Western Isles, in my understanding, is generally considered to be places such as The Isles of Harris, Lewis, Barra etc, places in the OUTER hebridies, hence the name WESTERN isles!.....and given your widely observed propensity to be wrong Alex...you will have to excuse me if i hold firm with my views for now. Then again, considering Geography isnt my strong point, along with many other things, I am open to the idea that i could be wrong on this.

SMEE, it was meant to be a tongue in cheek comment. Many people will debate what constitutes the western isles but my understanding is that they are all the islands of the west coast and that the northern isles are all those of the north coast. Belonging to a family who originated from Harris my forebears never referred to them as the western isles. It was always the outer and inner hebrides. I am well aware that that part from Lewis down to Barra is written by some as being the Western Isles but personally I've always known all of the Hebrides as being the western isles.

Em...Neros first name was Alex too but he was from the western Isles...not Skye...unless he moved...which is perfectly conceivable :)

Nero was from Ness on the north tip of Lewis. In terms of the youngest player actually to take the field for ICT, I think that accolade is definitely Polworth's. In fact I'm sure Ian Broadfoot confirmed it after the Hibs game.

Gee whiz bannerman - not like you to get it wrong!! nero wouldn't thank you for making that mistake! Nero was from the village of Back on the east coast of the isle of lewis!

and mantis is right about neil macdonald's dad being Rasper from Ness - could have been a fantastic player if his demons hadn't go the better of him!