FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

MEDIA Season 2011/12

frank_the_tank

Shameless plug alert! MFR have secured another season of rights to broadcast live commentary on all 38 Caley Thistle matches home and away and start this afternoon at Fir Park.

Last season we dipped our toes in the water, but this we're back with even more coverage of ICT with former captain Mike Noble in the commentary box today and like last year we'll also hope to Charlie Christie and Barry Wilson involved again. We've also extended the show time to 6pm so without fail you'll hear Terry's and a players post match thoughts and we aim to get the fans involved this season as well!

All starts at 2pm on MFR 2 1107AM, DAB Digital radio and http://radioplayertwo.mfr.co.uk/

Och well, since MFR have been promoting their coverage in another thread, I might as well balance this up and, equally shamelessly, also give a brief summary of what the BBC has to offer. :biggrin:

BBC Scotland sports programming on Saturdays runs from 12 noon until 7pm and will normally include:-

* Live commentary from Caley Thistle games home and away, plus progress reports on other Scottish games on 92-95FM across the Highlands and Islands and sometimes also on AM or FM across Scotland.

* Live commentary also online. Availability outside the UK is, as always, subject to contractual conditions.

* Open All Mics covering all SPL matches and some from the lower leagues on 103.5-105FM.

* TV updates and full time report on BBC 1 Scotland from 4:30pm.

* Your Call and Sports Report end on to Sportsound.

Outwith the Saturday football envelope:-

* Sportscene SPL highlights.

* Online SPL highlights.

* Commentary on non-Saturday games online and, where frequency arrangements allow, live on air as well.

Edited by Charles Bannerman
  • Agree 2

Have merged these threads and pinned them at the top of the forum for a little while.

Any media source that wants to plug their offerings for the forthcoming season are welcome to do so here.

Maybe we could even round off the season with some kind of "Media Death Match" style competition....one representative from each in a Royal Rumble style Sumo face-off in the centre circle at half-time :lol:

What Charlie is trying to say is that the BBC, as in other seasons, will have a programme dominated by the OF and interspersed with a few words about the other ten teams in the SPL and possibly one or two from the other leagues and every once in a while there will also be live commentary from an ICT match. Though even that will have a lot of reference to the aforementioned OF.

• Agree 2

What Charlie is trying to say is that the BBC, as in other seasons, will have a programme dominated by the OF and interspersed with a few words about the other ten teams in the SPL and possibly one or two from the other leagues and every once in a while there will also be live commentary from an ICT match. Though even that will have a lot of reference to the aforementioned OF.

Alex, I think you know quite well the very large number of Caley Thistle games which have dedicated - "Old Firm free" if you like - live commentary to the entire Highlands and Islands if not further afield, and that this is just one of a very wide range of services - radio, TV and online - which the BBC offers to cover Caley Thistle.

Of course if you are in Perth, the range of opportunities which you have to receive live-on-air ICT commentaries will be more limited, restricted indeed to any occasion the BBC also runs ICT commentaries nationally on 810 or 92-95 - unless the MFR signal stretches as far as Perth.

Please remember also that the BBC manages to do for ICT and Aberdeen fans in their local area what it can't, for instance, do for St Johnstone fans in Perth, and that is to offer regular programming specifically aimed at their needs "Old Firm free" if you like.

Charles, this is not a reflection of your hard work and excellent match reporting and commentating. It is an expression of dissappointment that I, who pays a national licence fee to a national institution, when searching the airwaves for news and commentary, find myself having to listen to a great deal of OF drivel in order to hear a few words on my own team. When I cant get to the highlands the best I can usually get is OAM which is dominated by the OF news and views.

Charles, this is not a reflection of your hard work and excellent match reporting and commentating. It is an expression of dissappointment that I, who pays a national licence fee to a national institution, when searching the airwaves for news and commentary, find myself having to listen to a great deal of OF drivel in order to hear a few words on my own team. When I cant get to the highlands the best I can usually get is OAM which is dominated by the OF news and views.

Alex, thank you very much :smile: although I've actually rarely been on radio on a Saturday of late since my usual job at ICT home games has tended to be the TV report and updates on the 4:30 Results Programme.

I'm definitely not going to get into a debate about BBC coverage since it's not my place to do so. All my initial post was for was to list the various BBC coverage options for ICT fans, highlighting those which are specifically ICT orientated.

What I could do is to suggest that when you are outwith the Highlands and within the UK you should go to BBC online because all ICT and indeed all SPL games have dedicated live commentary there.

What a very civilised discussion this is! :smile: (Although I did like Caley D's suggestion of a Media Death Match :evil02: )

Now I'm south of the border I've no option but to tune in via the internet. Whether I finally decide on MFR or the BBC remains to be seen... :ponder:

Any possibility Alternative Maryhill could do some interviews as part of his pre and post match reports? He's the best writer on this 'site IMHO.

Good idea :twothumbsup:

Only flaw I see in it is, Mr Maryhill would probably have to curtail his pre match lubrication and delay the post match sesh. :tongueincheek:

• 2 weeks later...

Proctor goes radio ga-ga

Utility man David Proctor has already shown Terry Butcher he can play in a variety of positions but now he?s trying his hand at radio commentary.

Proctor, who was sidelined with a hamstring injury after limping off in last weekend?s 3-3 draw at Dunfermline, will join Iain Auld and former Caley Thistle skipper Mike Noble on MFR tomorrow for live commentary of the Rangers match.

Hear Proc?s patter on-air from mid-day tomorrow on MFR FM, DAB and online @ mfr.co.uk

Direct Link for Matchday Commentary - http://radioplayertwo.mfr.co.uk/