Foran's best game

Themidgetmaestro

Genuinely believe that was Richie's best performance of the season. Looked much more comfortable sitting in that deep midfield role rather than being an attacking winger.

Also I think too much is being made of this "controversial" decision when Richie could of kicked it out of play for Jelavic. I was right in front of it and Jelavic was about to get too his feet and I think Richie was in his right to carry on.

Thoughts?

Think you need to calm down a bit.

I would say that he merely played less poorly than in recent weeks. His defensive quality's came in handy and he probably shouuldve had a goal but at the same time he gave away posession very cheaply on more than one occasion and got caught napping at times when in control of the ball so no i wouldnt say it was his best of the season but i will agree that he is better suited to the middle of the park.

Edited by ajsict92
  • Disagree 4

I was shouting to keep on playing. Jelavic was away from play and teams should always continue until referee stops play. Well done the lads yesterday - they were magnificent. Honestly thought we would get slaughtered. Play like this every week and we will soon be climbing that table. Bring on the Dons - bring on everybody. Cmon Inverness

• Agree 1

Refs stop games. Not players. Foran done what was right and, hearing no whistle, played on. Had Jelly not gotten to his feet I think Richie was going to kick the ball out of play but he didn't. I had the pleasure of being a guest in the Govan stand yesterday and the rangers fans around me agreed Foran done the right thing.

Genuinely believe that was Richie's best performance of the season. Looked much more comfortable sitting in that deep midfield role rather than being an attacking winger.

Also I think too much is being made of this "controversial" decision when Richie could of kicked it out of play for Jelavic. I was right in front of it and Jelavic was about to get too his feet and I think Richie was in his right to carry on.

Thoughts?

One swallow, a summer does not make! Its Rangers we were playing. We ALWAYS lift our game against the OF. It is by no means a yardstick with which to judge the team. They need to treat EVERY team as though it is the OF they are playing.

• Agree 2

For those that were at Ibrox, the effort and passion was very evident and more performances like that will see us win more than we lose..............hopefully.

The team and manager also acknowleged the small band of fans for making the effort to get behind the side and that was appreciated as well by the fans. The players did look gutted at the final whistle but they can pick up their wages in the comfort that they certainly earned them.

Can't fault the way we went about our business, just disappointed at the eventual outcome. However, if you expect nothing from games against either of the Old Firm anything else is a bonus. I suppose we ended up with the least damage to our GD apart from a 1-0 defeat.

I would say that he merely played less poorly than in recent weeks.

So you still think he was poor then, I take it? I thought he was solid. Not spectacular but played a central role in the match. Grafted, tackled, created, played a captain's role and even scored (not his fault it was scrapped). He was playing the role that Edu or Papac was playing for Rangers and, I thought, his performance absolutely eclipsed them. Surprised there's any criticism of him.

I would say that he merely played less poorly than in recent weeks.

So you still think he was poor then, I take it? I thought he was solid. Not spectacular but played a central role in the match. Grafted, tackled, created, played a captain's role and even scored (not his fault it was scrapped). He was playing the role that Edu or Papac was playing for Rangers and, I thought, his performance absolutely eclipsed them. Surprised there's any criticism of him.

His defensive qualities we're clearly evident yesterday, ive already said that and yes he was unlucky with the goal but he still gave the ball away far too easily at times and there were occasions were he was asking for far too long on the ball. I will admit he was better yesterday than he has been in recent weeks. If he stays in that area in the field he may get better more consistently too.

Foran isn't 100% fit....don't think there's much debate on that.

I've been saying since the start of the season that if we need to play him then it should be in a role that is less demanding in terms of the amount of running he is expected to do. That's what was done yesterday and we were the better (as a team) for it, IMO.

• Agree 1

Tempted and all as I am to single out individual posters (who don't seem to have a problem singling out individual players) I cannot believe that anyone can slate Ritchie Foran's performance yesterday.

He was immense and led the team in a role which suited him to perfection. The commentators and Sunday press had him as man of the match, in a losing side, yet the detractors are still out with the long knives, get a grip and give the man some well deserved credit.

• Agree 4
  • Disagree 1

Tempted and all as I am to single out individual posters (who don't seem to have a problem singling out individual players) I cannot believe that anyone can slate Ritchie Foran's performance yesterday.

He was immense and led the team in a role which suited him to perfection. The commentators and Sunday press had him as man of the match, in a losing side, yet the detractors are still out with the long knives, get a grip and give the man some well deserved credit.

I'm with you, although he wasn't my MOTM, Golobart was. Have a greenie!

• Agree 1

For those that were at Ibrox, the effort and passion was very evident and more performances like that will see us win more than we lose..............hopefully.

The team and manager also acknowleged the small band of fans for making the effort to get behind the side and that was appreciated as well by the fans. The players did look gutted at the final whistle but they can pick up their wages in the comfort that they certainly earned them.

Can't fault the way we went about our business, just disappointed at the eventual outcome. However, if you expect nothing from games against either of the Old Firm anything else is a bonus. I suppose we ended up with the least damage to our GD apart from a 1-0 defeat.

A 2-1 defeat is better for our gd than a 1-0 loss

Foran isn't 100% fit....don't think there's much debate on that.

Well this has been said all season, and in the second half of last season. Nearly a year being not 100% fit! He's had 2 two week rests due to the international break this season. What exactly is the injury he is carrying?!

I think he played very well on Saturday - certainly an improvement on previous performances this season. Tade was in the Courier the other week saying how great a captain Foran is - he must be doing something right in that case!

At one point on Saturday, Richie lost the ball, turned round to Gillet, shouted something at him and ran back. There were quite a few shouts from fans at this point such as 'FFS Foran it was your fault'. 'Don't blame Gillet' etc. It got me thinking. Some people may be jumping on the anti-Foran band wagon. What he MAY have said was simply 'get back to defence!' Not to have a go at Gillet but to literally give me instructions. lets face it, I don't imagine he would say 'awfully sorry for that bad pass. Could you pretty please head back into defence'. He has to shout instructions super quick and I don't believe for one second he was blaming Gillet for himself losing the ball.

I am not so sure overall in his capabilities. Maybe he's being misintepreted by fans and is a great captain, or he is indeed being too negative. But to the point of the original post - yes, he had a very good game.

Edited by CapitalCaley
  • Agree 1

sorry but could you explain this one to me it equates to the same thing unless we have the very unlikely situation where we are tied on GD but even then does it go to goals scored?

sorry but could you explain this one to me it equates to the same thing unless we have the very unlikely situation where we are tied on GD but even then does it go to goals scored?

That's it. 1-0 doesn't to less damage than 2-1 for GD, it's the same. But if teams are tied then goals scored comes after GD so losing 2-1 is better than 1-0, losing 5-4 would have been better as well...not that it really makes any difference at all really since we lost and it's the points we need!

We did get relegated on GD though by only 2 goals and are level on GD with Hibs so there is the slight possibility it could mean something.

It all depends on how you define 100% fit - Richie is getting "old" in footballing terms, especially at SPL level. He will never be 100% fit in terms of his peak condition. But at 80% he can still outplay the majority of the squad - becos he simply has the experience and he moves in to positions automatically and thinks the game rather than headless chicken style.

From a psychological angle he sets high standards for himself - possibly too high - and I suspect that he sets high standards for his team mates - now that isnt always the best characteristic for a captain as such individuals can become easily frustrated if they dont reach that standard and Richie is clearly one who voices his opinion. Unfortunately I also suspect that he has dished out some "abuse" to others when it may have been his "fault" because he aint the player that he was 5 years ago - but feck me - I have seen him move in to some great positions and be let down by some individuals who have the required pace, effort and committment but not the requisite skill or vision.

But his experience and vision is probably why Terry probably has him down as his one of his first picks - would you do in a playground scenario ?

Foran has never been used to assuming the role of leadership. Perhaps he is learning and again Butcher should be a model teacher. Perhaps he is improving as he learns the "ropes" of appreciative leadership, leads by examples and accepts that he is NEVER going to be the 100% Richie Foran of old.

And his best performance was for Carlisle versus Huddersfield when he displayed dentistry as well as footballing prowess.

• Agree 1

Och!

Happens occasionally in ice hockey too. It's quick though....."now you see the tooth, now you don't." Then the guy is picking it up from the ice.

Have you even wondered whether they can, in some way, put it back n again?

They probably take a cast of the tooth and then prepare and insert the resutant plastic tooth directly into the bone. The hockey players are earning so much money that to them it is like half-an hour's work.I was speaking to an ex-Edmonton Oiler's player yesterday who said that in nhis day the p[layers got paid about $180,000 per season bt now the minimum is about $1,000,000 and thta is considered chump change by the players,

My wife has had two done and we had to rally the family round to all club in to pay for it. At $3,000 per tooth, that's 2,000 pounds chums,it's a real shock to the system.