Steven Fletcher

Kingsmills

Stephen Fletcher Yes or No ?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Should Fletcher Be Selected Even If He Doesn't Make The First Move ?

• Yes (we need him whatever the principle )
    • No (he told the manager he didn't want to play. It's up to him now to inform the manager directly that he does )

I see that the Stephen Fletcher story is back in the spotlight with the player taking to Twitter to indicate that he is now willing to pull on a dark blue shirt again.

I am no fan of Craig Levein. In my view, he is a mediocre manager and a very poor tactician. He is out of his depth as national manager and I suspect his tenure is likely to be short lived..

Fletcher, on the other hand, is a very accomplished player who is a natural goalscorer. He is head and shoulders above any other forward at our disposal notwithstanding the stalwart service given by Kenny Miller over the years. In all probability we would have taken 4 or possibly 6 points from our recent home fixtures if he had played.

Nevertheless, in my opinion, the Fletcher situation is one of the few things Levein has got right. Fletcher took the trouble to make it clear directly to the national manager, albeit by text, that he did not wish to be considered for selection after being told he was not guaranteed a place in the starting eleven. It's all very well trying to manipulate the social media to suggest that he is now willing to lend his weight to that national cause but, in my view, unless and until he does the proper thing and makes it clear directly and publicly to Craig Levein that he has changed his mind about the honour of representing the country then he should remain in his self imposed wilderness even if that means the national team doing the same.

What do others think ?

Edited by Kingsmills
  • Agree 1

Is it too late now anyway? - this should`ve been thrashed out by now - while there was still a better chance to qualify.

Levein is not experienced enough for the job anyway so can`t blame him for this predicament

as maybe Fletcher didnt realise what a cry baby the boss was.

The situation is embarrassing for both & all - I hope I`m wrong but no point in Levein being around if they dont get 4 points from the next 2 games.

Maybe the fact Fletcher texted somebody to ask for `time-off` should have been kept confidential-

was it not the SFA or Levein who talked openly about this or was it Fletcher who told the media ?

If it was kept quiet none of this would need to be up for discussion & Fletcher could be in the squad where he belongs.

Steven Fletcher could be the answer to our needs & could come out of this with credit if he makes the move to apologise.

In all honesty I see nothing more in fletcher than I do in Jordan Rhodes, if anything I'd say Jordan Rhodes is better, he scores more goals with less service than fletcher. Fletcher has the likes of James mcclean, Craig Gardner, seb Larson at Sunderland, and it was the same at burnley and wolves, hes always had the players around him. Rhodes had nowhere near that calibre of service at Huddersfield yet he scored more goals.

I reckon if Rhodes had the service fletcher did he'd score 15-20 goals a season in the premier league.

He wouldn't of got past miller at the time when he turned down scotland because miller was free scoring at rangers. A big deals been made of nothing, it's not strikers we need it's a centre midfeilder, Adams and Caldwell are fine by me but I think we need the other midfeilder to be a box to box player? One who will support the attack more, I felt we missed that more than another striker last week, the one time miller did get support we scored.

But fletcher wouldn't of scored because the final ball was awful.

Anyway he's an Overhyped plank is what I'm trying to say :lol: il admit he done well at wolves but he's nothing better than Jordan Rhodes who is desperate to play for his country.

I'd be happy to be proved wrong by fletcher however. But from what I can see Rhodes is the future fletchers missed his chanced.

In all honesty I see nothing more in fletcher than I do in Jordan Rhodes, if anything I'd say Jordan Rhodes is better, he scores more goals with less service than fletcher. Fletcher has the likes of James mcclean, Craig Gardner, seb Larson at Sunderland, and it was the same at burnley and wolves, hes always had the players around him. Rhodes had nowhere near that calibre of service at Huddersfield yet he scored more goals.

I reckon if Rhodes had the service fletcher did he'd score 15-20 goals a season in the premier league.

He wouldn't of got past miller at the time when he turned down scotland because miller was free scoring at rangers. A big deals been made of nothing, it's not strikers we need it's a centre midfeilder, Adams and Caldwell are fine by me but I think we need the other midfeilder to be a box to box player? One who will support the attack more, I felt we missed that more than another striker last week, the one time miller did get support we scored.

Anyway he's an Overhyped plank is what I'm trying to say :lol: il admit he done well at wolves but he's nothing better than Jordan Rhodes who is desperate to play for his country.

I'd be happy to be proved wrong by fletcher however. But from what I can see Rhodes is the future fletchers missed his chanced.

Fletcher has done it at a far higher level at Rhodes...there is no guarantee that players who score at lower level can step up to the mark, remember Barrowman!!!

Fletcher has proved himself in one of the best leagues in the world and Levein should have sorted this out before the start of the current campaign

I don't blame Levein on this one. Fletcher withdrew from selection, so Fletcher is the one who needs to make himself available by informing the manager, and more than that, Fletcher needs to convince the manager that he is committed to the cause, unconditionally, regardless of whether he likes the tactics or whether he gets picked or not.

• Agree 3

You cant directly compare Rhodes to Fletcher because they are playing in completely different leagues, in different teams and for different managers. Fletcher is clearly more accomplished in that he has a decent scoring record for mediocre teams in the EPL. No other Scottish striker is at this standard at present.

At present IMO Scotlands strongest strikers IMO are (in order) something like this: Fletcher, Mackie, Rhodes, Miller, Russell, McCormack, Goodwillie

For the avoidance of doubt i'm classing Maloney and Snodgrass as midfielders

Fletcher might not have acted professionally with regards to his text about selection availability however we live in a world of football where egos and arrogance is part and parcel. Levein should be man enough to deal with this in a professional manner which does not affect the strength/success of the team. Is the Scotland team stronger with Fletcher in it? I would say yes. This boils down to Levein's ego and stubbornness and he does not want to step down. This whole situation smacks of two egos trying to get one over on each other.

For the good of the Scotland team we need our best players available to us, what we don't need is petty squabbles and male bravado taking precedence

Edited by Libero
  • Agree 1

Get shot of Levien and all will be resolved!!!

I have to say after the 4-6-0 formation fiasco last year I struggled to bring myself to the conclusion that i would give him another few games to win me over. That clearly hasnt happened and our qualification dreams are almost completely over after 2 games. He has really puzzled me with some bizarre formations, line-ups, substitutions and press conferences that suggest he has no idea what he's doing

Did a fine job with Dundee United but clearly out of his depth at international level

Probably the best striker we could have play for us just now and he isnt playing due to a petty squabble. its the Kris Boyd vs George Burley rift all over again and it is a load of nonsense.

Both men have let their egos get in the way of professionalism and its leaving Fletcher without the international recognition his form deserves and Levein with the fans on his back over his refusal to pick him.

Jordan Rhodes is a talent, there is no question of that. I have no doubt that he will score goals at championship level but Fletcher has been a consistent performer at Premier League level for a number of years now and if we are to ever get anywhere in terms of a major competition we need our best players at our disposal. Rhodes might be good but imagine having both Rhodes and Fletcher available.

Personally i think we could do with bringing the likes of McLeish or Walter Smith back, whether they would take the job i dont know but there is no question they would bringing a real commanding presence and respect that i dont think Levein has. If the Wales game is not won i think its only a matter of time before fans call for Leveins head.

Seems to me like the question is flawed. Fletcher has made the first move. He's publicly declared himself available via Twitter. He doesn't need to be humiliated. Levein should just name him in the squad. Fletch made the first move. Craig to be magnanimous and accept it. Everyone's happy.

No chance of that of course.

I am available to play for National team too.

There - now I have said it using a public forum I can confidently sit back and wait for Levein to give me a call . . . :-)

Tongue-in-cheek, sorry, couldn't resist.

Don't agree that just because he has used a public forum that the first move has necessarily been made, as it shows a bit of cynicism towards the media in "well I did my bit it is him who isn't wanting to do what is right" BUT I also think that now it has been widely reported then there is now an opportunity for the manager (and it has to be the manager, not a lackey) to contact him direct and call his bluff. If they can grow a pair and act like adults then this "mis-understanding" can be put behind them and we can get an undoubtedly talented individual back into the squad and into contention for first team selection.

However, the underlying problem remains - Fletcher will expect to be picked for every game if he does come back, since that was the problem the first time, and a manager should not be forced into such a situation just pander to individual egos.

I am available to play for National team too.

There - now I have said it using a public forum I can confidently sit back and wait for Levein to give me a call . . . :-)

Tongue-in-cheek, sorry, couldn't resist.

Don't agree that just because he has used a public forum that the first move has necessarily been made, as it shows a bit of cynicism towards the media in "well I did my bit it is him who isn't wanting to do what is right" BUT I also think that now it has been widely reported then there is now an opportunity for the manager (and it has to be the manager, not a lackey) to contact him direct and call his bluff. If they can grow a pair and act like adults then this "mis-understanding" can be put behind them and we can get an undoubtedly talented individual back into the squad and into contention for first team selection.

However, the underlying problem remains - Fletcher will expect to be picked for every game if he does come back, since that was the problem the first time, and a manager should not be forced into such a situation just pander to individual egos.

Rightly so, if he continues to score goals in "the best league in the world"

• 2 weeks later...

Both Fletcher's have returned! Cracking news. Glad to see everyone has put their differences aside. Lets hope this brings about a change in fortunes.

I am forever the eternal optimist but sadly, where Scotland is concerned, I dont think either Fletcher will make a blind bit of difference so long as Levien calls the shots. the lone striker and nine defenders will never get us wins. And only wins are going to get us to the finals.

Well now Levein has made the 'bold' decission to call up Fletcher perform a U-turn based on the statements made in the media before and after the last games, I hope he continues on this positive thinking pattern and starts with SF up front whether be it lone striker or with Rhodes, Naysmith, or a.n other to support and not opt for the usual Miller alone with all the fire power on the bench until the last 5 mins.

The sad state of Scottish football. An U-21squad for a couple of friendlies has eight players based in England

Goalkeepers

Jordan Archer (Tottenham Hotspur)

Christopher Kettings (Blackpool)

Defenders

Joe Bryan (Bristol City)

Kieran Duffie (Falkirk)

Ryan Jack (Aberdeen)

Fraser Kerr (Birmingham City)*

Clark Robertson (Aberdeen)

Murray Wallace (Huddersfield Town)

Midfielders

Stuart Armstrong (Dundee United)

Fraser Fyvie (Wigan Athletic)

Jason Holt (Heart of Midlothian)

Rhys McCabe (Sheffield Wednesday)

Callum McGregor (Celtic)

Kenneth McLean (St Mirren)

Forwards

Dale Carrick (Heart of Midlothian)

Dylan McGeouch (Celtic)

Cameron Park (Middlesbrough)

Anthony Watt (Celtic)

And our top squad for WC qualifiers has four home based players. Three of those from Celtic.

Scotland squad (in alphabetical order)

Charlie Adam (Stoke City)

Christophe Berra (Wolverhampton Wanderers)

Scott Brown (Celtic)

Gary Caldwell (Wigan Athletic)

Darren Fletcher (Manchester United)

Steven Fletcher (Sunderland)

James Forrest (Celtic)

Daniel Fox (Southampton)

Matt Gilks (Blackpool)

Grant Hanley (Blackburn Rovers)

Alan Hutton (Aston Villa)

James McArthur (Wigan Athletic)

Allan McGregor (Besiktas)

Jamie Mackie (Queens Park Rangers)

Shaun Maloney (Wigan Athletic)

David Marshall (Cardiff City)

Russell Martin (Norwich City)

Kenny Miller (Vancouver Whitecaps)

James Morrison (West Bromwich Albion)

Charlie Mulgrew (Celtic)

Steven Naismith (Everton)

Matt Phillips (Blackpool)

Jordan Rhodes (Blackburn Rovers)

Robert Snodgrass (Norwich City)

Andy Webster (Heart of Midlothian)

A few years ago there would hardly be a player in the youth squads from outside Scotland. Now we're scraping the lower leagues of England to put a team together. What does that say about the state of the game at home? Are the southern based players of dubious nationality because we dont have a good youth development set up or are they down there because our top leagues aren't good enough for them?

Personally I think its a very sad reflection on the state of our game and a kick in the teeth for the clubs who are developing young players not to see all of the youths with SPL teams beside their name in the squad lists. I think it should be a criterea of national youth football that they only choose and develop players who play within their own border. At least then the kids would have something realistic to aim for.

'lower leagues in England' - the majority of players in both squads are in either the English Prem or Championship with the rest being SPL, this is a much better state than the likes of N.Ireland and Wales who actually do go into the lower leagues. Looking at the senior squad all of the following players have played in Scotland then won moves to play at what can only be argued a higher level - Adam, Berra, Caldwell, S.Fletcher, Hutton, MacArthur, MacGregor. Maloney, Marshall, Miller, Naismith, Snodgrass - thats 12 (of that 12 only 1 plays outside the top level in England and 9 are EPL regulars), plus the others who are still based at home Webster, Mulgrew, Brown, Forrest is another 4 - that seems a decent representation of SPL experienced players IMO.