FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Danny Wilson Ineligible?

The big question is why did Hearts do this, if Wilson had served his suspension other than to check that serving it in England nullified it:

''When the player was signed by Hearts there was a new Fifa International Transfer Certificate from the FA sent to the SFA which made no reference to any outstanding ban.

Hearts did call the SFA during the week after checking the clearance certificate.''

Were they shocked to find it missing?

The spokesman said: "Danny Wilson was red carded in the 2010 League Cup final for denying a clear goalscoring opportunity. That incurs a ban for the next game in that competition.

"He was then transferred to Liverpool that summer. When the player was given a Fifa International Transfer Certificate that made reference to the suspension which had still to be served.

"When the player was signed by Hearts there was a new Fifa International Transfer Certificate from the FA sent to the SFA which made no reference to any outstanding ban.

He could only serve his ban in Scottish League Cup.

I think someone at the FA has made a balls up with the FIFA transfer certificate. I would assume that if Hearts clarified the point with SFA they would be deemed not to have deliberately fielded an ineligible player. So the SFA advisor has maybe also made a balls up.

Its a hard one but perhaps the club should make official complaint if for nothing else than to open an investigation into where the balls up was made.

The big question is why did Hearts do this, if Wilson had served his suspension other than to check that serving it in England nullified it:

''When the player was signed by Hearts there was a new Fifa International Transfer Certificate from the FA sent to the SFA which made no reference to any outstanding ban.

Hearts did call the SFA during the week after checking the clearance certificate.''

Were they shocked to find it missing?

Did the player himself realise he hadn't served a ban and it was missing?

The spokesperson is not necessarily authorised to act on behalf of the SFA. Remember this blunder?:

An SFA spokeswoman said: "This was rectified straight away and the right player has been released and the right one is signed.

"It was just one of these things and the wrong button pressed on the computer." http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/sfa-axe-wrong-clyde-player-1045184

Co-Op Insurance Cup

MICHAEL OHNESORGE (FORMERLY CLYDE F.C.)* 1 match

DEAN KEENAN (AYR UNITED F.C.) 1 match

DAVID PROCTOR (INVERNESS CALEDONIAN THISTLE F.C.) 1 match

STEVEN WHITTAKER (RANGERS F.C.) 1 match

DANIEL WILSON (RANGERS F.C.) 1 match

The above is copied directly from the SFA list of suspensions published on 15th April 2010. Surely its not difficult to deduce that DW was not in Scotland since then so could not have served his ban.

If he was ineligible but Hearts enquired and were told it was fine, then Hearts should not be disqualified. It wasn't their fault. However, ICT also are not at fault. Replay or compensation due. I'm hoping for the former.

Still wonder why they asked tho as they had the clearance certificate?

I seem to recollect something like this happening a few years ago.  I can't remember if it was a Scottish Cup or League Cup game, but one of the teams in one of the earlier ties (I think one of the teams was Stenhousemuir) fielder a cup-tied player.  The game was later replayed and this was after one of the teams had won the first game 7-0 or something as well!

Edited by Renegade

'If he was ineligible but Hearts enquired and were told it was fine' is not necessarily correct. Due diligence is the responsibility of the club, not the SFA. Alex has apparently posted the rules and confirmation that Wilson would be suspended the next time he was selected for a Scottish League Cup match. It is irrelevant that mistakes were made because the rules are there to be followed and enforced by UEFA as we know from the Nicolae case. The SFA have not had a chance to confirm that they were asked, and yes, Alex is correct.

If he was ineligible but Hearts enquired and were told it was fine, then Hearts should not be disqualified. It wasn't their fault. However, ICT also are not at fault. Replay or compensation due. I'm hoping for the former.

Still wonder why they asked tho as they had the clearance certificate?

Possibly because the player himself mentioned this. Possibly because someone remembered that Wilson had been sent off. Either way a cock up has been made by the FA

If the shoe was on the other foot you can bet your bottom dollar hearts would be all over this demanding a replay. We should too. The rules have been broken.
I think this too. Hearts would be all over this if we had fielded an ineligible player.
  • Agree 2

Should not read anything into the opinion of Ewan Murray aka Squirrel. Just read his match report in the Observer. One paragraph reads " It was an embarrassment for Inverness as a city, Caledonian Thistle as a club and Scottish football in general that such a pitifully low number of supporters arrived for (sic) the north for this game. It marked only a second appearance for Inverness in a national semi-final. Butcher's work deserves greater recognition from supporters"

Hearts will not be thrown out, or risk being put out in a replay.  Now that Celtic are out, the SFL will not want their Cup Final between ICT v St Mirren.  If Hearts are in the final, it would be at least double the crowd, and more money.  I feel a game of pass the parcel coming on, and it won't end with Hearts being chucked out or made to play again. 

But I agree, Hearts would be shouting from every tall building, to get us thrown out if it was the other way round.  Replay is the minimum punishment.

I seem to recollect something like this happening a few years ago.  I can't remember if it was a Scottish Cup or League Cup game, but one of the teams in one of the earlier ties (I think one of the teams was Stenhousemuir) fielder a cup-tied player.  The game was later replayed and this was after one of the teams had won the first game 7-0 or something as well!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jan/21/dunfermline-reinstated-stenhousemuir-scottish-cup

• Agree 1

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jan/21/dunfermline-reinstated-stenhousemuir-scottish-cup

That's the Scottish Cup, and I believe the rules of that tournament now state "Expulsion" for playing ineligible player after a series of screw ups.