FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Owain Tudur Jones

Fanoffooty

I was a little uncertain yesterday in regards to which is the correct way to pronounce.... Owain Tudur Jones

On hearing his name being announced it sounded like.... Owayan Tudder Jones

Could someone clarify is this the proper Welsh way to Pronounce it ?

Funnily enough I was going to start a thread on this!  As the way it is written is nothing like how it's pronunciation.

The correct pronunciation is O-Ine Tid-Ear Jones, with an emphasis on the "Ear" part.  I've had a Welsh person teach me to say it!

• Agree 1

Funnily enough I was going to start a thread on this!  As the way it is written is nothing like how it's pronunciation.

The correct pronunciation is O-Ine Tid-Ear Jones, with an emphasis on the "Ear" part.  I've had a Welsh person teach me to say it!

Well well there you go :smile: maybe we should get in touch with BBC sportscene , radio commentators & Stadium announcers to make sure they get it right in future :smile:

I got my pronunciation from the man himself!!!

• Agree 1

The way the announcer says it ie owine Tudder jones is the correct pronunciation apparently.

where do you sit, i am in the north stand and not for the 1st time could not understand a word the announcer says.

two mates with me yesterday asked me "what is that guy saying " when he was reading out the teams, " WHO scored that ?" when announcing the cellic goals.

part of the match day experience !!!!!!!!!

must be where i sit ???? :blah:

The way the announcer says it ie owine Tudder jones is the correct pronunciation apparently.

where do you sit, i am in the north stand and not for the 1st time could not understand a word the announcer says.

two mates with me yesterday asked me "what is that guy saying " when he was reading out the teams, " WHO scored that ?" when announcing the cellic goals.

The announcer is so dour and really difficult to understand , a major part of the matchday experience and one I'm afraid that is sadly lacking .

Edited by DALNEIGHCALEY

I also sit in the north stand. Don't think you can blame the announcer for the PA system. I believe they are Lookimg for folk to give announcing a try so why not volunteer.

I also sit in the north stand. Don't think you can blame the announcer for the PA system. I believe they are Lookimg for folk to give announcing a try so why not volunteer.

i know my limitations so would not entertain it. why would i, even if i thought i could, if as you say the PA system is at fault.

• Agree 1

A good workman never blames his tools :whistle:

I got my pronunciation from the man himself!!!

Well he must be saying an Anglicised version of his name then, as he is a Welsh speaker.  If his name was pronounced "tudder", it would be spelt Tydyr.  The letter Y has an "uh" sound in Welsh, while the letter U has more of an "ee" sound.  Hence why the Welsh pronounciation of Wales (Cymru) is "Kum-ree" and not "Kum-ruh".

Another thing that I've always thought about, is what his name actually is.  Is his surname "Tudur Jones" (in Football Manager and on the ICT Youtube interviews, it's down as a double-barrled name), or is his first name "Owain Tudur"?  Or is Tudur his middle name?  Or is it his mother's maiden name, like in the Spanish speaking world?  It's a mystery to me!

Edited by Renegade