FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Youngsters

CaleyThistle

I would like to get to know our under 20's team a bit better. Could someone tell me all the players that are in the under 20's team regularly!?! 

Would really like to get more involved in the under 20's!

Feel free to express your views on the team as well!

Cheers :D

If your wanting foreign talent in the u17/16 there is a felipe da silva, from a foreign country i presume, and rahan ali from new zealand! Ryan christie is good too and Matty Murphy to add to the list

I would like to get to know our under 20's team a bit better. Could someone tell me all the players that are in the under 20's team regularly!?! 

We don't really have an under-20s, if it was intended to be a replacement for the under 19s to allow the local lads to improve and allow the facility for some  injured players to get match practice/fitness.....but we do have a quasi-reserve team which just happens to be composed of the maximum allowed over 20s in any game, the maximum number of signed to the first team under-20s in every game and the minimum number of local lads in every game.

I kinda wonder what is the point of  dishing out money to pay our youth coaches when 99% of the kids they bring through the ranks to under 20 level are only there in case some first team player from an English or other club isn't available to play.

• Agree 1

We don't really have an under-20s, if it was intended to be a replacement for the under 19s to allow the local lads to improve and allow the facility for some  injured players to get match practice/fitness.....but we do have a quasi-reserve team which just happens to be composed of the maximum allowed over 20s in any game, the maximum number of signed to the first team under-20s in every game and the minimum number of local lads in every game.

I kinda wonder what is the point of  dishing out money to pay our youth coaches when 99% of the kids they bring through the ranks to under 20 level are only there in case some first team player from an English or other club isn't available to play.

Oddquine why do you think the club do this? I can only imagine it is because it is felt the kids coming in bring something different?

Oddquine why do you think the club do this? I can only imagine it is because it is felt the kids coming in bring something different?

But, excuse me if I think nobody knows if the kids coming in can do something different when our own kids have never had the chance to show what they can do to illustrate the difference required.

Sign of a good manager to bring young players through the ranks. Not sure if Butcher if it's really Butcher's thing, don't think he goes to youth games.

you know whats an even greater sign of a good manager? breaking club records. butchers broken them all more or less, and he still takes stick, for things us ameteurs think he should be doing better.

Edited by lukemackay
  • Agree 5

I would suggest that if they were deemed good enough then they would play ahead of signing players from england on loan - considering examples such as Sutherland & Morrison - they have hardly broken into the team and showed they are better than what we have taken on loan IMO.

The old reserve league was turned into an U20's league in order to encourage (force)  clubs to bring through and develop younger players.  Whilst some clubs needed to be pushed in this direction, it has never been an issue at ICT because it's pretty much what we used the old reserve league for anyway.

I've not looked properly at other squads in the SPL, but I would imagine we probably have one of the youngest, if not the youngest average age of any club...and that may even prove to be the case compared to all 42 professional clubs, not just the SPL.  Not bad for a manager who is accused of having no interest in the younger players!!!

We very likely have more "young" lads in the squad than we've ever had...and yes, some of them hail from outside the area, but I'd say we've got as many, if not more, who have come through our own setup to some degree or other as well.  Finally getting back on its feet after the youth setup was badly affected by our relegations season.

ICT have one of the most extensive youth setups in the country, we also have one of the hardest working and most successful community departments...so there's no lack of opportunity for any local kid, at any age, to have a go.

I would love to see more local lads in the squad, but I appreciate that the club can't just magic up what's not there.  I also appreciate that some of our best hopes are stolen from under our noses because we can't come close to offering financial packages that are used to lure them elsewhere....even when they are as young as 11 or 12.

For a Manager accused (by some) of having such a dislike for young players, he sure as hell likes signing a lot of them.  He could go down the route of previous managers and managers at other clubs who choose to sign players on the cheap when they are coming towards the end of their careers....players which would be guaranteed first team football if they were to come here.  Is it not better that he does what he is doing?  Bringing in young players who, like the local young players, have to prove themselves and earn their place in the team!!!

I get the fact that not everybody has a full and proper appreciation of the way some things are done at ICT and that, whilst the club are making good inroads into communicating better with the fans, they still have some way to go.  What I don't get is the manner in which some people choose to go about making ill-informed accusations.  If you have a question about something, then ask before jumping to stupid conclusions and spouting nonsense.

• Agree 3