FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Should Hughes be SACKED?

Guest Mahonio

Guest Mahonio

I was willing to give Hughes time but ever since the 0-5 at Parkhead, that has changed!!

Yes, we reached Cup Final and top 6 again but that was guaranteed before Butcher left.

His record here is ridiculous, he was a defender and yet our defence is poor just now.

Hughes MUST GO imo!!

Least someone agrees with me but if you see title of thread, it is SHOULD Hughes be sacked, not Hughes out, I gave my opinion which I am entitled to just same as you guys are, if you don't like my opinion then TOUGH!

Some people just **** me off at times and it is ALWAYS same people!

Okay, so you asked the question and when people disagreed with you, you got annoyed at them. Don't ask if you don't want to know, and "if you don't like my opinion then TOUGH!" is an aggressive challenge, so don't say such things then cry when anyone takes the challenge.

By the way, if you say you're about to shut up about something, try to last at least two hours before you come back to the thread.

All in all, you sound just like the guy who started a similar thread about Butcher. :tongueincheek: I wonder what happened to him, and if he ever grew up.

Your another that can gtf and nice work CaleyD, as a mod, trying to drive someone off a forum.

Its only this thread that I am staying off if personal insults stop (IHE calling me "not funny" is personal criticism) so you'll have to put up with me, I will browse forum a lot but possibly won't post as was case before I started this thread!!

Can we make Saturday a near sell out:

Used my Season Tickets to collect 3 FREE tickets today. I've got one occasional fan coming along with two 'new' fans for the day!

Three supporters who would otherwise have stayed away - lets all give it a go!

I think this thread deserves more discussion than Should Hughes be Sacked.

5 important games coming up lets give the team the backing it deserves and get more people to the games.

The Hughes debate should be left for after the split.

Despite this though, going from what we're seeing on the pitch and looking at his previous record, fans have the right to be concerned and be free to air their views without being labeled as "idiots" and other such terms.  I thought the aim for this club was top six, cup finals and Europe.  Now "happy clappers" are telling us that we all should just be happy with staying up.  The worried ones are the ones who want the club to kick on.  The ones who are easily pleased with just staying up, if anything, are the real negative ones.  Only the manager and the immediate staff have changed - not the players who got us to second, yet people are now happy with just staying up and attack those who want to push on to bigger things.  That's the type of attitude that'll get us nowhere.

Great summary overall Renegade and I admit this last point totally passed me by.

I'd fully expect the man himself to say he expects more than just avoiding relegation.

My fear is that the SPFL Chairman of the Year will wait far too long into next season to pull the trigger, should he come out when the time comes and apologises for his mistake then it will soften the blow.  I just hope by then the damage isn't terminal.

I was willing to give Hughes time but ever since the 0-5 at Parkhead, that has changed!!

Yes, we reached Cup Final and top 6 again but that was guaranteed before Butcher left.

His record here is ridiculous, he was a defender and yet our defence is poor just now.

Hughes MUST GO imo!!

Least someone agrees with me but if you see title of thread, it is SHOULD Hughes be sacked, not Hughes out, I gave my opinion which I am entitled to just same as you guys are, if you don't like my opinion then TOUGH!

Some people just **** me off at times and it is ALWAYS same people!

Okay, so you asked the question and when people disagreed with you, you got annoyed at them. Don't ask if you don't want to know, and "if you don't like my opinion then TOUGH!" is an aggressive challenge, so don't say such things then cry when anyone takes the challenge.

By the way, if you say you're about to shut up about something, try to last at least two hours before you come back to the thread.

All in all, you sound just like the guy who started a similar thread about Butcher. :tongueincheek: I wonder what happened to him, and if he ever grew up.

Your another that can gtf and nice work CaleyD, as a mod, trying to drive someone off a forum.

Its only this thread that I am staying off if personal insults stop (IHE calling me "not funny" is personal criticism) so you'll have to put up with me, I will browse forum a lot but possibly won't post as was case before I started this thread!!

LOL - literally - I think you're funny.

Now it may surprise you that I agree with a lot of the content in your post but I take issue with the area above.

I feel that the areas your touch on can be viewed differently by us happy clappers,

Calling for a managers head, days after we lost a major trophy by penalty taking by, in one instance, a player that was hardly able to walk up to the ball never mind kick it. But this fatigue was the managers fault - of course he had played 130 minutes of football and this following a hard 90 minutes just days before - this midweek game was also no doubt his managers fault. Had the ball entered the net with the resultant confidence flowing onto the following kick takers, this topic would be laughable . However as you say, it is all big Johns fault.

Now the final point for me is ... I think we started the season with the same team we finish with the previous season - not the current managers fault - and we enjoyed the success that this offered, as other teams were trying to knit together their new signings.

As the teams became better and challenged us our manager moved away - not our managers fault.

The Board did not appoint your blue eyed boy Mr Hartley, not the managers fault. However they did appoint him ... now this is his fault and maybe an ok fault at that, we will see.

It seems strange to me that a team like Dundee United, not very good at the start of the season is now doing well, Aberdeen not doing very good at the start, now on a roll and you tell us happy clappers that this is all Yogi's fault!!

Guest Mahonio

Mahonio, I think you should post more on here. Are you looking forward to the match against Partick Thistle?

Not going to happen and yes, I can sense a win :).

It is getting into a busy part of Tennis season so watching a lot of that on Sky and BBC hence not posting on here plus CaleyD and ilPadrino want me gone, shameful posts by someone who is a former mod!! Trying not to sound to harsh as I don't want banned.

Seems a bit odd to highlight a loss to Celtic at parkhead as the final straw. It's not like we're the 1st team to be hammered there.

From the sounds of it we matched Motherwell for large parts, though some slack defending and a brilliant long ball saw us fall behind, and we never come back to gain points when we go behind. This was the same under Butcher as it was under Hughes.

I think we were always likely to struggle if Mckay went through a barren run as we've become too reliant on his goals. Now is the time for others to step up.

I'd like to see Ross and Christie start more games.

Calling for a managers head, days after we lost a major trophy by penalty taking by, in one instance, a player that was hardly able to walk up to the ball never mind kick it. But this fatigue was the managers fault - of course he had played 130 minutes of football and this following a hard 90 minutes just days before - this midweek game was also no doubt his managers fault. Had the ball entered the net with the resultant confidence flowing onto the following kick takers, this topic would be laughable . However as you say, it is all big Johns fault.

Where did I say it was "all John's fault"?  Nor did I call for Hughes's head after the final.

Now the final point for me is ... I think we started the season with the same team we finish with the previous season - not the current managers fault - and we enjoyed the success that this offered, as other teams were trying to knit together their new signings.

As the teams became better and challenged us our manager moved away - not our managers fault.

Where did I say it was?

The Board did not appoint your blue eyed boy Mr Hartley, not the managers fault. However they did appoint him ... now this is his fault and maybe an ok fault at that, we will see.

Blue eyed boy?!  Actually I think Hartley as a man is a weirdo, but going by his record and Hughes's record, I, like the vast majority, wanted him appointed over Hughes.

It seems strange to me that a team like Dundee United, not very good at the start of the season is now doing well, Aberdeen not doing very good at the start, now on a roll and you tell us happy clappers that this is all Yogi's fault!!

Eh?

To be quite honest, I had to read your post through more than once to understand what you meant.  To say I called for Hughes's head, despite the post you quoted saying I wanted Hughes to be given time, suggests to me that you actually didn't read my post at all and/or have me confused with some other posters.

Edited by Renegade

Mahonio, I think you should post more on here. Are you looking forward to the match against Partick Thistle?

It is getting into a busy part of Tennis season so watching a lot of that on Sky and BBC hence not posting on here plus CaleyD and ilPadrino want me gone, shameful posts by someone who is a former mod!! Trying not to sound to harsh as I don't want banned.

Ah know, see when the lawn bowls season gets going, ah'm outta here too.

With the all the athletics starting at the commonwealth games we can only hope someone else will also do a disappearing act if it works like this

Anyway back on topic it's clearly evident that we have gone downhill since the managerial change. The results and our drop down the table is the evidence that we are on the slide and it's quite remarkable that the happy clappers still line up to tell us that everything is rosey in the garden

You only have to look at Forans behaviour on the pitch the last few games to see that desperation is creeping in

Having said that it still is very early days for Hughes he must be given more time I personally hope he turns this round as say what you like he is a genuine and likeable big guy

What's more don't think ICT could afford to sack him anyway what with the length of contract he signed

Dougal

As you'll see (in fact, you even posted on the thread), this is not a simple reaction to a cup final loss.  That I can forgive.  Even celebrate as a step up.

Mahonio, the whole point of a forum is to exchange different views and it is reasonable to expect folk to respond quite robustly to views that they disagree strongly with.  That's what helps give the richness of debate and makes it worth reading.  Criticism of a poster's views isn't a criticism of them personally.  It is also reasonable for folk to point out inconsistencies in the posts of others and this is often done in the form of a bit of gentle banter.  You really shouldn't get annoyed by it and if you took it in the spirit intended, you might find you quite enjoyed it!  If everybody who was on the receiving end of a bit of banter stopped posting there would be hardly anyone left to post anything - Dougal would have left 100 times over!  Nobody wants you gone - far from it.  Your contributions  are a valuable part of the richness and variety of this forum, so please keep them coming.  Be assured that if anyone was being genuinely offensive the mods would quickly crack down on it

Facts and figures since hughes took over.

Games managed -20

Games won- 6

Games lost- 8

Games drawn- 6

Goals for- 18

Goals against- 26

Win % 30%

I was willing to give hughes time but after recent form and a poor understanding of where to play players and questionable team selection, he is showing his incompetency which cost him his job at hibernian and hartepool. Had we gone with Paul Hartley (dare i say it) could we be sitting here as league cup champions against an Aberdeen team that was there for the taking?

Games managed -20

Games won- 6

Games lost- 8

Games drawn- 6

Goals for- 18

Goals against- 26

Win % 30%

I was willing to give hughes time but after recent form and a poor understanding of where to play players and questionable team selection, he is showing his incompetency which cost him his job at hibernian and hartepool. Had we gone with Paul Hartley (dare i say it) could we be sitting here as league cup champions against an Aberdeen team that was there for the taking?

Or could we be sitting her out of the top 6 and having been beaten by Hearts? If, buts and maybes. We were poor before Yogi took over and it has sadly continued. There have been glimpses of some fine football but serious lack of cutting edge is killing us. We need one of these free transfers he spoke about, preferably a striker to take the weight for Billy's shoulders.

At the end of the day it is a results game. If you don't get them then you are out. We have a history of giving managers time and Yogi will be no different. Just think, we could easily have sacked Butcher at least twice!

• Agree 1

Games managed -20

Games won- 6

Games lost- 8

Games drawn- 6

Goals for- 18

Goals against- 26

Win % 30%

Or could we be sitting her out of the top 6 and having been beaten by Hearts? If, buts and maybes. We were poor before Yogi took over and it has sadly continued. There have been glimpses of some fine football but serious lack of cutting edge is killing us. We need one of these free transfers he spoke about, preferably a striker to take the weight for Billy's shoulders.

At the end of the day it is a results game. If you don't get them then you are out. We have a history of giving managers time and Yogi will be no different. Just think, we could easily have sacked Butcher at least twice!

We had just won five games in a row before he took over.

Games managed -20

Games won- 6

Games lost- 8

Games drawn- 6

Goals for- 18

Goals against- 26

Win % 30%

Or could we be sitting her out of the top 6 and having been beaten by Hearts? If, buts and maybes. We were poor before Yogi took over and it has sadly continued.[b/] There have been glimpses of some fine football but serious lack of cutting edge is killing us. We need one of these free transfers he spoke about, preferably a striker to take the weight for Billy's shoulders.

No we weren't. We went the whole of November undefeated and that was including after Butcher left. (Fair enough two games) but we beat a Hibs side at Easter Road very impressively which should have been more than 2 IMO

The current fixture schedule isn't really helping at the moment and when you take the example of last Wednesday where you had guys like Danny Williams and Nick Ross bursting with energy and Yogi made the mistake of not playing the likes of them. I can understand why Yogi picked the team he did at Fir Park because he felt that was our strongest team but what we needed was a fully fit squad and unfortunate with the schedule we don't have that.

Once we have a fully fit squad and get confidence back. I don't think we will be having these topics arising.

It's actually 5 wins, 8 draws and 7 defeats, but regardless, we don't want to be going down that road of firing managers a few months into their tenure.

Fulham appointed Rene Meulensteen the same day (I think) that we employed Hughes. He was sacked over a month ago, which frankly is ridiculous and laughable.

One thing in football that I've always found a bit odd is that Chairmen and boards of directors get rid of managers - that they've painstakingly selected from scores of applicants - with impunity. Sacking a manager is surely, by definition, an admission that they got it wrong!

Managers may pick the wrong players, tactics and formations and ultimately pay for it with their job, yet directors can preside over the selection of unsuitable candidates, time-and-again!

Although not a fan of Hughes personally, I think it's only fair to let him get the bubble-wrap off his fridge before starting to plot for a replacement.

The end of the calendar year would be a more appropriate time to evaluate where the club's going under his stewardship.

If then, it's deemed that we're regressing, then yes, we may need to look at other options, with any new manager having the January 'transfer window' available to arrest the slide.