FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Billy Mckay

He's no the first top-scoring Caley player called Billy to end up at Wigan!!

Former Jaggies might dispute that! But do you think this Billy may also come back to Inverness?

Always the chance he'll come back once he's past his best, like the other Billy did! He was still pretty good though!

And former Jaggies will just have to get used to the fact that their team's shortened name is "Caley"

• Agree 1

Please tell me our board are astute enough to have inserted a sell-on clause in his contract. I was just reading how Hamilton have done very nicely out of sell-on clauses for James McCarthy and James McCarthur, who went to Wigan for £0.5m and £1.2m, and subsequently Everton and Palace for £13m and £7m. Billy could be as successful and it would only be fair for the club who nurtured him to share in any future moves.

I don't think we can take any credit in 'nurturing' Billy! Sure, he found the best form of his career with us, but he'd already been with 2 clubs in England before he came to us.

Shinnie's moving to Aberdeen - at the age of 23 - I'm sure you'd agree that if he moved on in 3 years time, the Dons wouldn't/shouldn't be entitled to compensation for 'nurturing' him. It's the same age Billy came to us at. I suppose it could be a grey-area which is why FIFA have ruled that compensation for 'nurturing' ends at 23.

I doubt we'll be privy to the finer details of the transfer or future clauses. There's a lot of 'undisclosed fees' etc nowadays - who knows, perhaps Northampton Town or even Leicester City were due a decent slice of the reputed 150k we got for Billy!

Well, whether we nurtured him or not ( he made his reputation with us, at least) it would still make good business sense to insist on a sell-on clause. With the Shinnie brothers as well. If other clubs can do it, and they do, we should be doing it too. It makes sense that the money at the top of the game filters down to smaller clubs through these kind of deals - Hamilton have made it work for them. Why not us?

Well, whether we nurtured him or not ( he made his reputation with us, at least) it would still make good business sense to insist on a sell-on clause. With the Shinnie brothers as well. If other clubs can do it, and they do, we should be doing it too. It makes sense that the money at the top of the game filters down to smaller clubs through these kind of deals - Hamilton have made it work for them. Why not us?

Yes, I agree with you. I'm sure we do put clauses in place, for number of games played or future sell-on fees - it's just that we don't always hear about them. I think we got a 'windfall' (although the actual figure wasn't disclosed) when Barry Robson moved to Celtic from Dundee United.

Yes, I agree with you. I'm sure we do put clauses in place, for number of games played or future sell-on fees - it's just that we don't always hear about them. I think we got a 'windfall' (although the actual figure wasn't disclosed) when Barry Robson moved to Celtic from Dundee United.

I seem to recall that when we sold Don Cowie to Watford in the January window part of the deal was that we got an additional sum if they avoided relegation that season, which they did.  I wouldn't be surprised if we at least tried to get something similar given Wigan's predicament.

Edited by Yngwie

• 1 month later...

Former Jaggies might dispute that! But do you think this Billy may also come back to Inv

Former Jaggies might dispute that! But do you think this Billy may also come back to Inverness?

No such thing as a former Jaggie....once a Jaggie always a Jaggie..

Warning, poor attempt at humor and probably works best with a central Scotland, weegie, accent.

Here goes,

Ive been reliably informed that Billy Mckay is a transvestite as he now has a wigan address. (wig n a dress).

I'm waiting for the tumbleweed.

I did warn you.

• Agree 1

It'll be interesting to see if he's kept his place in the Northern Ireland squad for the Hampden friendly and Euro qualifier v Finland. Most national managers tend to only pick players who are playing regularly for their club - and Billy's lack of game time for Wigan may cost him!

• 3 months later...

Billy's downward spiral continues - dropped from NI Squad. It was his choice to leave.

BBC's reporting of it included a classic blunder, along the lines of "Ryan Christie & Jim McIntyre in award scoop double for Ross County"

I'll cut-and-paste before they change it, but apparently Billy plays for ABERDEEN!

Northern Ireland's squad for the Euro 2016 qualifier against Romania has been reduced from 28 to 25 players with Liam Boyce among the trio left out.

The Ross County striker will miss the Windsor Park clash along with MK Dons midfielder Ben Reeves and Aberdeen forward Billy McKay.

:lol: