FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Question from an old Hibs fan

ICT Supporters Trust

Can anyone shed light in the question below?

Hi
I'm a Hibs fan from Edinburgh and am trying to get some info on the then Caley goalie Jimmy Smith . I have this memory of Caley getting hammered 2-8 by Elgin in the last game of the season ..
My dad was from Inverness and my mum from Nairn ( she's a Tulloch) 
We lived in the Middle East and my dad was a Caley fan. 
On one holiday back to the UK he took me to my first proper football game( I was 11)
and remember being devastated as he'd built Caley up to be the best

ETA - it was the 64/65 season
Edited by CaleyJagsTogether

I remember Jimmy Smith quite well. He was the Caley goalie for quite a few years. He emigrated to Canada in the late 1960's but I never recall hearing anything about him after that. As for the result against Elgin. You're probably better asking on their website about that one!

I remember Jimmy Smith too.  He took over goalkeeping duties from the legendary Willie Bruce sometime in the 50s.  I seem to recall that he then went to Stirling (quite a useful side at that time). As previous poster has said, I seem to remember someone saying that he did indeed emigrate to Canada in the 60s.

I have no recollection of the 8-2 hammering by Elgin.  It could well have been around 62/63 or 63/64 seasons when I lived in Canada.  At that time all I heard about Caley was when my Mum sent me the Sunday Post occasionally.

Jim Smith is the brother of Mary Smith who is my sister's best friend from childhood.

When I was last over in Inverness in August 2008 it was very rainy and cold and I caught the flu. Mary was visiting my sister and gave me  a jacket to wear. Their family used to live in Ross Avenue off Fairfield Road and Jim did emigrate to Canada. He was in Winnipeg but I heard recently that he had moved to Toronto. I did send him an email but never received a reply and as a result if the following information I now do understand why Jim's brother was Russell and I have a feeling that he may also have passed away but my memory is hazy about that.

Jim had married Ena Munro, who was in my class at school. Unfortunately, I heard a few months ago that she had passed on through illness. I remember Ena quite well as a very nice, open person. They did have children whom I believe are also living in the Toronto area.

The only time Hellgin Shittee beat Caley 8-2 must have been referring to A&E attendances. You must have been smoking too much Camel dung and judging by the surname your hoose mat have been built of it. And after watching Caley you became a Hibee - jhesus.

Apologies for that Hibs fan, but in every cloud there is a silver lining. In this case IHE at least managed to post before 8am on a Saturday morning. We can only speculate what he might have said after 8pm on a Saturday evening!

I certainly remember Jimmy Smith in goals for Caley in the mid 60s and had heard that he emigrated to Canada. I am more or less certain he was playing for Caley in season 63-64 when they won the Highland League by a point from Nairn County with Elgin fifth, seven points off the lead. The following season Elgin, who scored 109 in their 30 games, had the first of back to back wins, by a point again from Nairn County with Caley third, five points off the lead.

Although unthinkable to IHE and beyond his conception of horror, it is not inconceivable that Elgin beat Caley 8-2 on the last day of the season although this is a heck of a score against one of the better teams. On the other hand, Elgin very probably needed a win that day to clinch the title.

The top of the final table from 1965:

post-3020-0-77713200-1424528792.jpg

It appears Elgin would certainly have needed to win at Telford Street to clinch the title.

Bizarrely, it was apparently 1-1 at half-time! But that Elgin team of the 60s won most Highland Leagues during that decade. They also got to the Scottish Cup quarters in '68 - still the only non-league club top reach that stage (Spartans almost equalled it this year!) - and that Elgin side are certainly stronger than they currently are!