FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Caley Thistle in books and magazines

Tichy_Blacks_Back

Just been reading 'Football Voodoo' and we get a mention on p54 - something to do about a train journey and 26 letters.

Does anybody know of any other books or magazines other than CBs or season reviews that we feature in? I recall that the stadium featured in Groundtastic in the distant past.

The BT advert..... 'Penalty to Caley ref' :lol:

I remember how buzzing I was the first time I saw that advert! 

Getting a bit off topic in terms of books and magazines, but I remember a programme with Gordon Ramsey where they were sitting at the Caley stadium during a game an had an Aberdeen Angus burger at half time, don't ask me what it was about though! 

I remember a programme with Gordon Ramsey where they were sitting at the Caley stadium during a game an had an Aberdeen Angus burger at half time,

That would presumably have been recorded when Gordon Ramsay was up here playing for Rangers:lol:

By way of books, please also don't forget Ian Broadfoot's "Going Ballistic" which takes the story as far as the SPL in 2004. I did hear suggestions immediately after the Cup Final about something to cover the entire 1994-2015 period by way of words and pictures. The idea seemed to be to get something out for this Christmas, which would have been a good idea but this has clearly come to nothing.

Getting a bit off topic in terms of books and magazines, but I remember a programme with Gordon Ramsey where they were sitting at the Caley stadium during a game an had an Aberdeen Angus burger at half time, don't ask me what it was about though! 

Sad enough to know that was 'Kitchen Nightmares' and an episode featuring Abstract at La Riviera.....

Sad enough to know that was 'Kitchen Nightmares' and an episode featuring Abstract at La Riviera.....

and the match? Our first home game in the spl v Dunfermline. I was sitting a few rows from him in the away end.

Gary Sutherland's Hunting Grounds, which is one of those all-42-league-grounds-in-one-season books (I'm sure there's at least one more doing the rounds), features the author visiting TCS in January '07 to see us beaten 2-1 by Celtic, and we are Killie's opponents when he visits Rugby Park (a score draw, unsurprisingly). A couple of our away games against Hearts in '04-'05 also feature in Aidan Smith's book Heartfelt (lifelong-Hibs-supporter-becomes-Hearts-supporter-for-a-season-for-a-bet, yadda yadda yadda). We sort-of-almost feature in Stuart Maconie's Cider with Roadies, when he mentions the SuperCaleyGoBallistic headline (and manages to misspell it 'Cally', something his editor obviously didn't pick up). And of course, there's  Steve Paterson's book.  

• Agree 2

I remember a programme with Gordon Ramsey where they were sitting at the Caley stadium during a game an had an Aberdeen Angus burger at half time,

That would presumably have been recorded when Gordon Ramsay was up here playing for Rangers:lol:

By way of books, please also don't forget Ian Broadfoot's "Going Ballistic" which takes the story as far as the SPL in 2004. I did hear suggestions immediately after the Cup Final about something to cover the entire 1994-2015 period by way of words and pictures. The idea seemed to be to get something out for this Christmas, which would have been a good idea but this has clearly come to nothing.

That sounds like a good plan.

I hope they get the promised Cup DVDs out for early December too.

We also get a few mentions in a book called Against All Odds. Can't believe you missed an opportunity to mention that one.  :lol:

I've got a tune somewhere by Ivan Drever or Wolfstone or whatever. I'm sure it's called something like 'The Colonel' and the sleeve notes mention something about how he liked going to watch his beloved Caley Thistle. Had a rummage through my CDs but can't find it.

We also get a few mentions in a book called Against All Odds. Can't believe you missed an opportunity to mention that one.  :lol:

No need Wingy! It's in the OP.