FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

January transfer window.

Guest Shaun

...Tansey story seems to be gathering pace! What a shambles if we lose another key player on deadline day, with no time to replace. I thought we might at least escape this transfer window without losing any players. I hate the transfer window!!

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, bughtmaster said:

I hope this rumour is unfounded we do need Tansey.

There's a major flurry of tweets from journalists on this, I'm afraid.  Latest is that we want the £200k paid upfront, Aberdeen want to pay in instalments (unsurprisingly!).  Until that is resolved, I don't think we have to let him speak to them, but I'm resigned to the fact that a deal will be done.

I wonder if that's why the rumours about Liam Hughes are going around. Maybe a replacement for tansey. Tansey has scored some cracking goals from free kicks this season but with draper and Polworth playing well I'm not overly worried tbh how many times on match thread this year have people said he hasn't played great missing passes etc 

• Disagree 1

1 minute ago, jagster said:

I wonder if that's why the rumours about Liam Hughes are going around. Maybe a replacement for tansey. Tansey has scored some cracking goals from free kicks this season but with draper and Polworth playing well I'm not overly worried tbh how many times on match thread this year have people said he hasn't played great missing passes etc 

Not many I'd wager.

I think it's fair to say that Tansey hasn't had his best season this year, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't be in most supporters' first XI. Midfield is one area where we do have cover, but I really hope this isn't the case because he was starting to get back to his best and we all know what he's capable of. Fingers crossed that this is guff...

20 minutes ago, bughtmaster said:

I hope this rumour is unfounded we do need Tansey. If true I do wonder if we are the official feeder Club for the Dons ? they are so envious they try to grab all our good players.

Not envious just recognise good players and, whether we like it or not, have more fans, more money, higher crowds and a much larger playing budget than us.

I will be sorry to see yet another of our best players go to them but, from Tansey's point of view, who can blame him for doubling his salary in what is a short career by making the short journey along the A96.

1 minute ago, bdu98196 said:

Strong rumours that the dons are offering to unload robson to us for the rest of the season on loan. I hope thats not true either as hes well past his best and not near tansey quality now.

...funnily enough, I wondered if that might be an option! Looking at their midfielders, Flood, Jack, Robson and McLean is all they have in the defensive area, so I can see why Tansey might fit, particularly as Robson doesn't seem to get a look in these days. Draper and Robson? Not sure! Maybe it could work....

• Agree 1

McInnes was (again) recently bleating about the gulf between Aberdeen and Celtic and how they can't compete when they're signing all these players. I wonder if he will be as quick to recognise the gulf in resources between ICT and Aberdeen which (potentially) allows them to gobble up one of our key players for £200k?

EDIT: McLean isn't a defensive midfielder.

Edited by RiG

6 minutes ago, RiG said:

McInnes was (again) recently bleating about the gulf between Aberdeen and Celtic and how they can't compete when they're signing all these players. I wonder if he will be as quick to recognise the gulf in resources between ICT and Aberdeen which (potentially) allows them to gobble up one of our key players for £200k?

EDIT: McLean isn't a defensive midfielder.

Yup - funny how that particular street only seems to run in one direction! No McLean isn't really a defensive midfielder, but he has been playing quite deep for Abdn. Of course, they've also been playing Shinnie in there, but I can see why they would be interested in Tansey, given that it would free both of these up to play in their more natural positions. Can't blame him if he goes (for the wages) and I doubt we'd do all that well financially out of the deal. grrrrr.

If we want to play the passing game that we hear all this talk about Tansey is absolutely vital.

We are relegation candidates if he leaves and if he does without a decent replacement then we need to ask questions about our board and how they plan our transfer activity.  

• Agree 2

Don't you just hate the way that suggestions that we are about to sign someone decent almost always come to nothing whereas rumours that we are about to part with our best players, usually for nothing or a very modest fee, so often turn out to be true.....

• Agree 4

So let's get this straight.  A "release clause" is a clause we put into players' contracts so that another club can come along and buy one of our player's for less than they are worth?  

Personally, I think the Aberdeen style of play is ideally suited to Tansey's strengths.  It really sounds as though this is a mere formality now, but I hope I'm wrong.