Most Improved Player of 2017

Kingsmills

As we enter the dying embers of 2017, who would you rate as our most improved player of the year ?

In my view, it has to be Mark Ridgers. I confess that when Robbo signed him I thought it was a terrible move and the first few months seemed to confirm that. His form was terrible, his confidence was shot and it was abundantly clear that the defence had no confidence in him. We were haemorrhaging goals and Mark was directly at fault for many. I was surely not alone in wondering why we were paying OFW a relative fortune and not playing him.

Mark was dropped, rightly so and not before time. However, when he got his turn again he seemed a transformed player grapping the opportunity, both literally and metaphorically, with both hands. He is now a safe, competent and, above all, confident 'keeper who has made game winning or game saving saves time and time again. It's clear that the defence have much more confidence in him and that has given them the freedom to play much better. I still wonder why we are paying OFW so much for no return but I no longer wonder why we are not playing him.

So, well done Mark Ridgers, my choice as our most improved player of the year. Congratulations and keep up the good work for 2018.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I would agree with Mark Ridgers his confidence has grown as well as his distribution and command of the box. Like you say kingsmills a lot of folk were calling for his head and he got benched but that did seem to give him the proverbial kick in the arse to improve and he came back stronger more confident and yes he has made some amazing saves. The fact we have him signed up long term gives stability in the defence.

Edited by MorayJaggie
  • Agree 1

Ridgers - Most improved?. I agree.

Donaldson - Best signing to date. 

Zschussen, Baird - Total duds. 

Elbouzedi - Where is he? He was fit enough to play in the County friendly.

Nick Ross - Seen him on the p**s in town last weekend. Contract until summer?

Looking at the new signings first:

Ridgers: much improved after a shaky start.

Donaldson: a class act. He also cares deeply. His celebration at Tannadice was great to watch against his former team.

Bell: a bit inconsistent, but chipping in with valuable goals.

Trafford: looks good, but I feel we have yet to see what he can really do.

Seedorf: looked good until he got suspended and injured. Feedback from Saturday was good, so fingers crossed!

Chalmers: has developed pretty well. I really enjoyed his performance at Dundee United.

Baird, Oakley and Calder: cannot fault Baird's commitment, but none delivering consistently.

Elbouzedi: sounded positive preseason. Remains to be seen if he will add quality.

Zschussen: not seen him play and sounds like I am the lucky one ?

Cooper and Elsdon: won't complain if both leave in January.

Turning to those here last season:

Fon Williams: any interest from anywhere? It is time for him to move on.

Mackay: seems the regular back up now which is good, presumably leaving Esson purely as a coach come the summer.

Raven: shame he is off, but he goes with my best wishes and leaves a lot of memories.

Tremarco: really surprised he signed an extension, but delighted he did. Arguably he should take on the captaincy when Warren not playing, as his workrate and commitment set a great example.

Mckay: the most improved of those here last year. He and Donaldson are doing well as a pairing.

Warren: still a big figure, but rightly taking a back seat on current form.

Vigurs: gets some stick, but real quality and he cares. We really need him.

Polworth: inconsistent, but his potential is clear. Here's to a big second half of the season from him!

Mulraney: has had a decent half season,

Doran: good to see him back, and I'm sure he will be starting soon.

Hope I've not missed anyone!

It was good to see young Daniel Mackay feature a couple of times. If the play offs (at both ends) seem unlikely, hopefully he and other youngsters get some game time.

All in all, we are in a better place than a few months ago, and hopefully push on, starting at Brechin on Saturday.

Edited by Robert
  • Like 1

Top 3 improved players for me are: 

Mark Ridgers,

Iain Vigurs &

Coll Donaldson.

In addition, I'd also add that Joe Chalmers isn't anywhere like as bad as we feared at the start of the season (he's been pretty decent, actually) & Jake Mulraney has also improved a lot. Will be great to see Aaron Doran regain full fitness & become the player we all know he can be.

Edited by jingsmonty
Additional text