Kelty/ Is this a joke - merged thread

1 hour ago, DoofersDad said:

I don't think that is the plan, but it may be the consequence.

Plan/consequence, its really the same thing with these shysters.

5 hours ago, Jack Waddington said:

Well that was a waste of 7 quid for me to send a clown costume for him to the stadium via Amazon 😕

Tornagrain ! you’ll probably see his old one on the washing line as he obviously wears it often 

• Funny 1

There's every chance that Gardiner (and maybe Morrison) had been working up this plan themselves and it was only presented to the board last week.  If that was the case it might give some reason (although no excuse) for the delay in getting any statement out as I imagine anyone who voted for it would have needed some convincing.  It would also explain why no rumours of it had leaked.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DoofersDad said:

This is such a controversial issue, that if any of the Board members were not in agreement with the majority decision and can't persuade their colleagues of the error of their ways, they should resign.

If they were in agreement, then why?  When it seems that just about everyone thinks the plan is absurd for a wide range of reasons, what is it that convinces the Board members that it is a good idea?  The club statement says very little and there has been no subsequent attempt made to answer any of the concerns.  The only issue the statement refers to is the difficulty in persuading players to move from the central belt - a fact we are all perfectly well aware of already.  The proposed solution to the perceived problem looks unlikely to attract the calibre of player we would like, whilst actually making it far more difficult to attract players through the routes which have, over the years, produced our best and longest serving players.

Board member Scott Young is the clubs designated Supporter Liaison Officer.  Scott did have the guts to be out and about and chatting to fans both before and after the Hamilton game and that was appreciated by fans. So please Scott, will you do some more liaising now and address the numerous concerns voiced on this site and elsewhere?

Unfortunately, I think there’s a bit of a Catch 22 there, DD, because this would mean that the club would lose those directors with the nous and common sense to see that moves like this are crazy, leaving behind a board even more devoid of talent.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Yngwie said:

Agree that when the Board agreed to this, however long ago that was, any member who was strongly opposed should have stuck to their principles and resigned at the time.

We have to assume/hope that the decision wasn’t just taken on a whim one day, and instead a well researched and costed proposal was put to the Board that gave more details of the challenges for recruitment at varying salary levels and how this idea would result in a better squad and/or cost savings, whilst also considering impacts on youth teams, Highland based players/coaches, and how the club could mitigate the further loss of community relations. Surely they did something one that?

The Board could then compare the plan with the status quo, and choose the best (or least bad) option. No doubt Gardiner was behind the proposal, but it was approved by a Board who are all ICT fans and who are presumably better informed on the issues, financial budgets etc than we are, and they must have concluded that the pros outweigh the cons?

Absolutely!  You would think that would be the case.  But was it?

Imagine the scene.  Whoever thought it up stands up in the Board room and says "I've had a great idea guys!  Let's move our training base to Kelty!"  The rest of the room is not going to say "Great idea!".  They are going to say "You can't be serious!".  Anyone is going to be sceptical on hearing this: look at the title of the thread!  

You would have thought that the issues raised on this forum would also have been raised by the Board members on hearing the idea.  For the project to be agreed, you would have thought that detail was provided which satisfied the Board members that the positive benefits of the scheme outweighed any negative impact.  As you say, the Board are all ICT fans and presumably want what is best for the club.  

So, given the massively negative reaction to the statement and the national ridicule it has received, why have they have not provided some detail from the analysis to allay the concerns?  It is very hard to see any positives but very easy to identify a host of negatives. We have not had a peep from the club since this bombshell hit us.  It is shameful.  Just what is going on?

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Charles Bannerman said:

Unfortunately, I think there’s a bit of a Catch 22 there, DD, because this would mean that the club would lose those directors with the nous and common sense to see that moves like this are crazy, leaving behind a board even more devoid of talent.

True.  But if you stay, you are bound by the corporate rules of accountability and have to support the policy in public.  There has to be a limit of how much you are prepared to compromise your principles.  If you can't win your fight from the inside you need to take it outside.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DoofersDad said:

Absolutely!  You would think that would be the case.  But was it?

Imagine the scene.  Whoever thought it up stands up in the Board room and says "I've had a great idea guys!  Let's move our training base to Kelty!"  The rest of the room is not going to say "Great idea!".  They are going to say "You can't be serious!".  Anyone is going to be sceptical on hearing this: look at the title of the thread!  

You would have thought that the issues raised on this forum would also have been raised by the Board members on hearing the idea.  For the project to be agreed, you would have thought that detail was provided which satisfied the Board members that the positive benefits of the scheme outweighed any negative impact.  As you say, the Board are all ICT fans and presumably want what is best for the club.  

So, given the massively negative reaction to the statement and the national ridicule it has received, why have they have not provided some detail from the analysis to allay the concerns?  It is very hard to see any positives but very easy to identify a host of negatives. We have not had a peep from the club since this bombshell hit us.  It is shameful.  Just what is going on?

Agreed - I suspect they perhaps didn’t realise how strong the backlash would be and are taking cover with hard hats on at the moment. At some point soon they need to come out and elaborate on why they believe this plan is the best option. As it stands, posters on this site have explained parts of it better than the club statement did. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Yngwie said:

Agreed - I suspect they perhaps didn’t realise how strong the backlash would be and are taking cover with hard hats on at the moment. At some point soon they need to come out and elaborate on why they believe this plan is the best option. As it stands, posters on this site have explained parts of it better than the club statement did. 

But if they didn't understand how strong the backlash would be, doesn't that show just how out of touch they are?  If they couldn't anticipate the backlash, then  it suggests they are unlikely to have identified the problems this plan will create.

• Agree 1
  • Well Said 2

WTF! Two days offline and I can’t believe what I’ve just been reading for the past hour - I’m in classic ‘You cannot be serious!’ John McEnroe mode.

I’m having trouble digesting this and getting my head around it as so many of you seemed to have on Friday so can’t put together any coherent thoughts. At the moment all I feel is numb and far worse than I did after the abject defeat and relegation last week - I’d been resigned to that fate for some time.

All I know for sure, right now, is that I’d rather follow my team as part-timers in a lowly league than this proposed version of a disjointed central belt club playing in ICT shirts with no relevance to the loyal fan base or community.

These muppets are killing our club, we must do something to fight them! 

• Agree 8

58 minutes ago, DoofersDad said:

But if they didn't understand how strong the backlash would be, doesn't that show just how out of touch they are?  If they couldn't anticipate the backlash, then  it suggests they are unlikely to have identified the problems this plan will create.

Yes it does suggest they are out of touch! They probably recall that when the club decided to play its home games in Aberdeen for a season, fans suffered huge inconvenience and cost but accepted it, while in contrast, this latest move causes absolutely no inconvenience or cost for fans. One of the key differences though is that the Aberdeen thing was a temporary measure and fans could see the benefit for the greater good of the club.

I'm thinking the Airdrie model might be the only option. For those not in the know, Airdrieonians went bust. Airdrie United though took over Clydebank, who also went bust in all but name. They played in essentially the same kit with several of the same players, manager and even the same ground. Not so long after, they were even able to acquire the Airdrieonians name which they now play under.

Wimbledon did something similar when they became MK Dons. 

What other solution is there? I'm not sure I care if one of the Kelty sides win. I feel such a disconnect, I'm not sure if I support ICT or if I only used to in some past life. I doubt too many Wimbledon fans care about MK Dons' results.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Starscape said:

Wimbledon did something similar when they became MK Dons

No they didn't, absolutely nothing like this case.

The club is not moving nor is the stadium or the name changing.

• Facepalm 1

12 minutes ago, Starscape said:

Wimbledon did something similar when they became MK Dons.....

...I doubt too many Wimbledon fans care about MK Dons' results.

I  don't think there were any monetary issues behind the move to Milton Keynes.  Other than the (foreign?) owners of Wimbledon thinking that they'd make more money in MK.

That led directly to the creation of AFC  Wimbledon.      

• Like 1

I just wonder what the next bombshell will be, as the club statement on Friday started with:

“As one major part of our planned strategic restructure of the club, ICTFC are delighted to announce an innovative agreement…”

Anyone got thoughts as to what other hair brain ideas there may be that have not been shared with fans?

Also, whilst it is unlikely there will be much take up, we must be due to get the season ticket prices and bands soon.

Will prices be reduced?

Will the feedback from the Supporters Trust and fans about the reintroduction of the 16-25 age band have been listened to?

Or will rates be increased despite relegation?

No doubt we will know by early June!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Robert said:

I just wonder what the next bombshell will be, as the club statement on Friday started with:

“As one major part of our planned strategic restructure of the club, ICTFC are delighted to announce an innovative agreement…”

Anyone got thoughts as to what other hair brain ideas there may be that have not been shared with fans?

Also, whilst it is unlikely there will be much take up, we must be due to get the season ticket prices and bands soon.

Will prices be reduced?

Will the feedback from the Supporters Trust and fans about the reintroduction of the 16-25 age band have been listened to?

To a hell of a lot of previous season ticket holders it looks increasingly likely loads will not be bothered if it’s cheaper or not . As indicated by many ( myself included ) will not be buying one to help feed Gardiners 100k ludicrous wage 

• Agree 2

I’ve got a bad feeling that the intention for the Season Tickets will be an increase…….. 

At worst I’d say they try another “freeze” on ticket prices - so as to “give us the best possible chance to return quickly to the Championship”. They pulled that stunt when we last got relegated from the SPL. 

let’s be honest - anything is possible now with this current board. It’s worrying times. 

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Robert said:

I just wonder what the next bombshell will be

Has there been anything said yet about the youth set up? From the moment we got relegated I have been assuming that it would be getting axed. There were various comments from the club during our Championship years that they were struggling to find the funds to sustain it. As a League 1 club now, it would be a very pleasant surprise if we were able to keep it going.

• Thoughtful 1

15 minutes ago, Yngwie said:

Has there been anything said yet about the youth set up? From the moment we got relegated I have been assuming that it would be getting axed. There were various comments from the club during our Championship years that they were struggling to find the funds to sustain it. As a League 1 club now, it would be a very pleasant surprise if we were able to keep it going.

What is the big issue with being able to sustain a youth set up? Is there not a youth league for all the Lowland League sides and plenty other teams below our league status has this too.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ICTPaisley said:

What is the big issue with being able to sustain a youth set up? Is there not a youth league for all the Lowland League sides and plenty other teams below our league status has this too.  

The cost of running it has previously been cited as an issue. Others might recall better but I’m pretty sure that when the club were looking for sponsors/funding for the youth set up they said it was costing about £400,000 a year to run? 

1 hour ago, Robert said:

Will prices be reduced?

Funnily enough, I have erroneously just been sent a draft of a statement due to be released tomorrow.  It reads as follows.

Dear whoever you are,

I am absolutely delighted to announce that as the next phase of our planned strategic destruction restructure of the club and in response to a projected reduction in fan numbers following our relegation, we will be mothballing the North Stand for the coming season.  Current North Stand Season Ticket holders will be able to buy season tickets for the uncovered, wind battered section of the main stand.  This will ensure our loyal fans will be be royally p*ssed upon throughout the coming season.  You will also be delighted to know that we are bringing in stocks of ponchos for sale in the club shop.  These will be available at the reduced price of £10 thanks to the generous sponsorship of Kelty FC.

Yours in Togetherness

Ross Morrison

You heard it here first!

• Funny 6

12 minutes ago, DoofersDad said:

Funnily enough, I have erroneously just been sent a draft of a statement due to be released tomorrow.  It reads as follows.

Dear whoever you are,

I am absolutely delighted to announce that as the next phase of our planned strategic destruction restructure of the club and in response to a projected reduction in fan numbers following our relegation, we will be mothballing the North Stand for the coming season.  Current North Stand Season Ticket holders will be able to buy season tickets for the uncovered, wind battered section of the main stand.  This will ensure our loyal fans will be be royally p*ssed upon throughout the coming season.  You will also be delighted to know that we are bringing in stocks of ponchos for sale in the club shop.  These will be available at the reduced price of £10 thanks to the generous sponsorship of Kelty FC.

Yours in Togetherness

Ross Morrison

You heard it here first!

Surely not, even in the division two and three days we had the run of behind the goal.

although it clearly won’t be needed as the majority of our fans will be leaving us all together.

• Like 1

Even Roy McGregor over the bridge is having a go at the absurd decision to train in fife. No longer can ICT be considered a community club. All this in our 30th anniversary year. Dark days indeed. ☹️.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1