FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Pre season opponents - Standard

Council Juice

Have the usual pre season routines served us well in the past? I can remember ONE season we didnt get off to the usual sluggish start!!

Havent got the stats all loaded up yet but

2006/07 - first six fixtures LDDDLW (loss to St Mirren, Hearts, Drew Aberdeen, Hibs, Celtic. beat Motherwell.)

2005/06 - first six fixtures WLWDDL (loss to Rangers, Motherwell, beat Falkirk, Pars. Drew Killie, DUFC).

2004/05 - first six fixtures LWLLLL (first SPL season) losses to Livi, Celtic, DUFC, Hibs, Rangers. Win V Pars).

pretty much

I think the sluggish starts were more of an issue when Paterson was at the club - we were indeed notorious for them at that time ... but the good thing was, once we got going, we were like Vinnie Jones as Juggernaut in X-Men  :crazy07:

Guest TinCanFan

I believe that the sight of Inverness is without a doubt a key factor to the level of quality of opposition of the pre season friendlies.  Teams from the likes of England and other places aren't going to want to come to Inverness when they could play other teams in the central belt just as good which usually leaves ICT to the rounds of the Highland League and other Highland teams.

Guest Atholl

I certainly wouldnt see playing a big team like Ajax as any great benefit where the team have to chase the ball for 90 minutes

Saturday proved one thing for me, the standard of pre season opposition gave us a pleasing win ratio that paints an incomplete picture. We showed an inability to hold the ball in advanced positions in exactly this type of scenario to give the defence respite and allow our Midfield to link up and go beyond our strikers from time to time to get the big Rangers defence turning. Instead we played virtually everything in front of their back four resulting in most moves breaking down in rapid quick time and handing back possession.. Better quality opposition pre season might just have taken the players out of their comfort zone.

Hopefully Saturday was a sharp shock and we get a bona fide target man as an option sooner rather than later.