FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Hagi en route

IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER

Such disrespect from the man who shook the board by telling all that Don Cowie had agreed to sign six months before it was revealed, the man who caught on to the CC situation and pleaded for him to go gracefully, the man who knew about Brewster months before anyone else and the man who shook the Board and led to change their minds about ditching DP.

And what do you know:

Hagi quits Steaua Bucharest after owner's interference

RADU TIMOFTE

GHEORGHE Hagi resigned as Steaua Bucharest head coach on Thursday before hitting out at the flamboyant Gigi Becali, blaming the owner for constantly undermining his authority.

Hagi quit after the team lost their opening Champions League Group H match 2-1 in Slavia Prague on Wednesday.

"I stopped my job with Steaua this afternoon," the former Romania midfield great told reporters. "I took the decision two days ago but I did not wish to abandon the team before an important match."

Becali said: "It was Hagi's decision. A resignation is a resignation, it is all over now."

Hagi's decision was not unexpected after Becali repeatedly interfered in team matters, including picking the players.

"The owner always called me on the bench to tell me who must get on the field and who must be replaced. I remained dumb."

Becali told Realitatea TV: "I admit I humiliated him. It is very hard to work with Becali. If you resist, it's all right, if not, goodbye. One cannot work with Becali if he doesn't have results."

Last month the owner threatened to sack Hagi after complaining he did not stick to the line-up Becali had selected for their first league match of the season.

Becali also asked Hagi to pick two players he wanted in the team for Wednesday's match in Prague, saying the coach would have to leave unless he obeyed orders. "I wanted to make Hagi a great coach," Becali told Sport.ro TV. "It's my greatest regret I failed to make Hagi a huge coach, leading my fighters through victories in Europe."

Hagi, who took over in June, led Steaua undefeated through the Champions League preliminary rounds but they are struggling in seventh place in the domestic league after scoring only four goals in six matches.

"Becali always said the wins were down to him and the defeats were because Hagi failed to take the correct decision," said Hagi.

"Becali destroys the players. A player is a toy for Gigi, today somebody is a great player, tomorrow he means nothing, after tomorrow he must leave."

Hagi quit as Romania coach in 2001 after failing to reach the World Cup finals.

He also resigned as coach of Turkish club Bursaspor in 2003 after a disappointing start to the season.

Hagi revealed that he was going to pursue an opportunity in Scotland that had been offered to him recently by a Romanian businessman.

This article: http://sport.scotsman.com/football.cfm?id=1511502007

Last updated: 21-Sep-07 01:46 BST

Aye, thats all in the Scotsman article right enuff .... with the exception of one crucial part ......

Hagi revealed that he was going to pursue an opportunity in Scotland that had been offered to him recently by a Romanian businessman.

Yes, you have got it right in the past, IHE, and you will no doubt get it right again many times ..... but it stays in here until that paragraph actually appears in an article and references ICT  :004:

To be fair to IHE, if the words are twisted a great deal the interpretation could be "a man with a Romanian business". But then that wouldn't be twisting it, it would be corkscrewing.

Those words have been twisted so much they are not even in the article  :023:

Feck me - it was only a human typing error - I meant to put the last sentence at the bottom. And as if I would ever include wording that could be open to interpretation.

And the Romanian Businessman could be a Romanian Orion employee, acting on behalf of the company. But as ever I will have the last laff - this one is going to grow bigger and bigger.  :001:

And doesnt the scenario of his departure sadly mirror the departure of Jose Mourhino and even, sadly, reflects the treatment of CC in a manner of speaking.

Such disrespect from the man who shook the board by telling all that Don Cowie had agreed to sign six months before it was revealed, the man who caught on to the CC situation and pleaded for him to go gracefully, the man who knew about Brewster months before anyone else and the man who shook the Board and led to change their minds about ditching DP.

Aye the transfers of Rankin and Cowie were a huge secret that no one else knew of laugh.gif

How did Lambert and Hendry get on as ICT managers?  :003:

Link didn't work for me, but basically someone has added that Hagi has been linked with ICT as Director of Football. The person who added that comment on Friday night has IP adress 84.66.236.131, which also recently edited Malkowski's entry to say that he signed for ICT on loan.

:sherlock:

Which was AFTER my original post !!  I have only just seen that on Wikepedia. My post was an entry from the Scotsman.

How could I feckin update Wikipedia ??  :017:

And RIG - Please try to undertand the difference between wind-up and debate. The point I made in regard to the two County players was that the deals were being made well in advance of what was being formally said.

And RIG - Please try to undertand the difference between wind-up and debate. The point I made in regard to the two County players was that the deals were being made well in advance of what was being formally said.

That's almost impossible with you!

Like Proctor, Dods, Rankin, Cowie, Christie, Brewster etc., etc.  -  At least I keep peeple in the know. I used to resort all the time to the wind ups like Gough, Hendry and Lambert - now I resort to more well founded rumours. But at least I can be definite that you are at the head of the 3% who just reply to abuse me.  :001:

something in this but not sure how much yet. was told to expect some reshuffle behind the scenes with grassa stepping down as director of football which would tend to indicate another will be appointed. never heard the hagi word mentioned but actually wouldn't be entirely suprised if its in the oven.