FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Lambert for Scotland

The Fly

gawd no ..... would rather have Souness than him

The article seems to be a "something from nothing" article though ... journalist asks whether he would be interested and he says (diplomatically - to preserve his current job), that he would have to consider it if it were offered as it would be an honour .... I would hope the SFA would aim higher. Fortunately, in the same article, **** Advocaat also ruled himself out !

Here's one for you ...... from this side of the pond

There are rumours going around the fan sites of MLS that Paul Mariner was about to leave New England Revolution but changed his mind as he may be required to take over from Steve Nicol as manager. The story gaining most ground is that SN may be headed to Toronto as manager and Mo is to be "promoted" to the front office. However, what if he was headed eastwards ... to Glasgow perhaps?

I know people scoff at MLS but with the complicated draft system and rules about the number of developmental players, home grown players, youth internationals and senior internationals you are allowed into a squad, its almost as restrictive as trying to pick a national side .....

Nicol has an impressive record with NE ..... He has been manager since 2002 and in that time the team has 

-- Qualified for the end of season championship playoffs every year.

-- Finished 1st or 2nd in their division for 5 of the last 6 seasons.

-- Finished as MLS Cup Runners up in 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007 (this is essentially the championship decider - the Superbowl of MLS)

-- Won the US Open Cup in 2007 (comparable to Scottish Cup)

certainly preferable to Lambert

• 2 weeks later...

I think Nicol is too settled in America to come back even for the Scottish job.

I met him this year when i was over in the states and he loves it out there, he has managed NE since 2002 but he was there a long time before that playing and coaching.

I think Nicol is too settled in America to come back even for the Scottish job.

I met him this year when i was over in the states and he loves it out there, he has managed NE since 2002 but he was there a long time before that playing and coaching.

Too settled ... you could be right, but all does not seem well at NE and he may well find himself elsewhere before long. The Toronto rumour was denied by both TFC and Mo Johnston but I can see him moving based on rumours of salry disputes