FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

GRETNA RESIGN FROM SFL

SMEE

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be accurate, we didn't start work on two new stands straight away. We only startted work on these stands once we received sannction from the SPL to return to Inverness after the second complete round of fixtures if we had 6,000 covered seats in place.

• 4 weeks later...

Seems a bit harsh if Raydale was deemed by the SFL to be fit for First Division football last season.

That's the point ... last year it wasnt fit for the SFL and they only got out of making the improvements they had previously agreed to because they got promoted and were then able to "abandon" Raydale altogether.

from the article ....

"It is understood that Gretna promised the SFL, after winning the Second Division title in 2006, that they would make improvements to Raydale. However, they reneged on that agreement and would have had serious questions to answer last year if James Grady's last-minute winner against Ross County at Dingwall had not stopped St Johnstone gaining promotion on the final day of the campaign."

The more I hear about Gretna's rise (and fall), the more each thing they do (or don't do) seems to stink.

Nevertheless, they managed to play all their first division fixtures there last season without any incident.

I appreciate that Gretna have a track record of renaging on promises which is far from satisfactory but from the point of view of sporting merit, I'd rather see them suffer some financial penalty for that rather than a technical relegation.

It looks like they will be back in he third division soon enough as it stands.

It's what you do ON the park that counts in my opinion. So long as your ground meets the minimum health and safety requirements there should be no problem. You shouldn't need to have X thousand seats, it's nothing but a cynical barrier to legitimate competition erected by self preservationists.

If Gretna manage to pull themselves off the bottom it will be a remarkable achievement and it'd be a shame if their players and fans were robbed because of off the field politics.

I have no sympathy for Gretna, like Livingston they bought titles, knowing full well that it would lead to financial difficulties. Then when things go all wrong they look for help.

All other clubs like us have sacrificed spending money on players to provide facilities. Why should they get away with it. It is not a level playing field. 

It's what you do ON the park that counts in my opinion. So long as your ground meets the minimum health and safety requirements there should be no problem. You shouldn't need to have X thousand seats, it's nothing but a cynical barrier to legitimate competition erected by self preservationists.

While I agree with your sentiments I don't think that Raydale has a valid safety certificate.

Gretna were allowed to go up to Div 1 with the promise that they would bring Raydale up to Health and Safety standards. They do not have proper toilet facilities to cope with full house of 3000. Haven't been there but I believe their terracing is wooden which is also against H&S fire regulations.

They have done nothing in the two years since making all the promises other than sit back and expect the local authority to come up with cash for a so called eco stadium.

CD it can be used providing the terracing is closed of I believe.