FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Gay and Green

Kingsmills

40 years ago the word gay generally described a persons disposition rather than their sexual orientation whilt a green lobbyist was a person who was bold enough to paint, or more likely flock wallpaper, their hall in a lurid shade of lime rather than the ubiquitous magnolia. Isn't interesting how our language evolves ?

What other examples are there of word or phrases changing their principal meanings over the years ?

I'm watching this documentary about racism on google video right now and they actually said 'gay and green' about 20 seconds before I opened this forum!  Never heard it before and now twice in a minute.

Its kind of sick actually, theyve got all these black kids being given tests, like selecting a white or black doll, then explaining why most went for white.  The most common phrase these 7 year old girls were using was 'Gay and Brown' and loads of them already want nose jobs and other cosmetic surgery to look more white.  Theyve all been given cameras to record the conversations theyve been having about it, theyre a bunch of racist wee buggers, all hate theyre own race!

Theyre talking about the growing CS market in China now, they all want to look more 'attractive' by increasing the size of their eyelids and mouths.

BEWARE FOLKS, its a bizarre world out there.

ps.  Hate to say it but the girls who have had successful surgery do look pretty good  :017:

What I find quite interesting is the different meanings for the same words in UK English and North American English (which is an interesting concept/phrase itself) ......

Word                USA/Canada          UK

Pants                trousers                  underwear

Fanny              bum                        female genitalia

Vest                waistcoat                undershirt

Suspenders      braces                    female underwear

Gum                  glue                        part of your mouth

Rubber              condom                  eraser

Private School  private School        public school

Diner                cafe                        customer in a restaurant

Chips                crisps                    chips

Jelly                  jam                        jelly

Fall                    autumn                  fall down

Plaster              band-aid                something you do to walls

That reminds me of a story told to me by a young physiotherapist from Canada who had a spell working in Aberdeen.

On her first day a young guy came in with a knee injury which reuired physio'. She asked him to remove his pants telling him she would be back in a moment.

Seems she was rather shocked by his state of undress whe she returned and didn't make that particular mistake again.

I also recall tittering as a  10 year old when the husband; Daryl ? in the Sitcom Bewitched made reference to his wife's cute fanny.

People saying 'to die for' or 'take it on board' must have limited imaginations.......

I once knew an American guy who played football with us. I wasn't there to hear it, but one day the ball went away behind the goals and two players were arguing about whether it was a corner or a bye kick.

Apparently the American guy said "while you sort it out, I'll go and shag the ball" meaning fetch the ball.

My current pet hate is the phrase " going forward".

I'm very much with you on that one. This seems to be a phrase which "admin" people and politicians just seem to throw into monologues at random intervals.

Also "rolling out" which was far as I am concerned means "imposing the latest silly idea on everybody".

And...  "while you sort it out, I'll go and shag the ball"   :rotflmao:

Interesting indeed how meanings change. When the USA entered World War 2, Winston Churchill described Franklin D Roosevelt's reaction to his (Churchill's) joy with the words: "He thought I was gay".

Guest TinCanFan

"Was like" used to mean "Was similar to".

Now it means "Said".

I never understand the logic in that one and it always gets on my nerves.