FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Civil liberties up in smoke

Guest couchpotato

Quite right, stamp out the weed.  This law has been on the go for a year or so.  You are not allowed to smoke in a vehicle used for work.  He may well find out that his insurance company are interesred in this as well.  "I am dumbfounded - the van is only insured for private use and to get me to and from work," added Mr Williams, from Llanafan, near Aberystwyth.

I don't suppose he carries tressles/paint/brushes/rollers/trays etc in the rear of his private van.  Had he been smoking in his own car then fine, but a commercial vehicle is off limits.  Should the person have been driving for a national company, then his bosses would also be getting their collars felt, so no sympathy, pay up and stubb out.

On the 'stub it out' point - as a non-smoker, I feel that smokers have made a big effort to comply with the new law and I am disappointed that this point is never mentioned in the press. 

It is strange how I now notice a smoker passing in the street and yet this same smoke was always in the pub and I never give it a thought. 

In fact, it was seen as part of the character of a pub  .............    through the smoke, he could be seen, shoulders sagging, hinting at the heavy heart within, as he stared into the glass of comfort.  ''If Brewster had only signed a decent defender'' he thought  '' I would have no hangover tomorrow!''    Now the poor soul has no cloud of smoke to hide away in!

It says

I was told that because my van is my place of work I had broken the smoking laws

THe van is surely a mode of transport - not his place of work.  He is a painter and decorator - not something you do inside a van.  (well not more than once anyway)

Guest couchpotato

Quite right, stamp out the weed.  This law has been on the go for a year or so.  You are not allowed to smoke in a vehicle used for work.  He may well find out that his insurance company are interesred in this as well.  "I am dumbfounded - the van is only insured for private use and to get me to and from work," added Mr Williams, from Llanafan, near Aberystwyth.

I don't suppose he carries tressles/paint/brushes/rollers/trays etc in the rear of his private van.  Had he been smoking in his own car then fine, but a commercial vehicle is off limits.  Should the person have been driving for a national company, then his bosses would also be getting their collars felt, so no sympathy, pay up and stubb out.

You cant be accused of being a liberal eh?, dont see what the vehicle being commercial has to do with anything,it's his own personal vehicle,not a company vehicle.As he pointed out, is a barrister carrying a briefcase and laptop in his BMW not using his vehicle to carry the tools of his trade to work the same? I'm thinking of taking up smoking so i can do it in my van ,no way i would pay this. :icon_ganja: :sherlock2:

Guest birdog

I was in The Netherlands recently, we have all no doubt heard of the "coffee" shops across there, Dutch people are starting to worry that the smoking ban across there will make cannabis smokers toke up more of the "super strong skunk weed :tic01:". The ban in the Netherlands only applies to tobacco smoke so pot heads are having to smoke pure weed doobies inside coffee shops in order to keep within the law. (who adulterates a good joint with tobacco anyway?)

I use my car as a taxi in Inverness. I own it but I am forbidden by law from smoking in it. Fair enough when I'm carrying paying passangers about.

But if I am on a day off, I can still be done for smoking in it. Even if I have removed the taxi roof sign, council plate etc.

Too Far!!

Graham