FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Young Debutant Duff

Council Juice

From what I read he was quite impressive yesterday, only blotting his text book with an error, on the stroke of half time on the left touch line, which sadly cost us a goal and the match.

I'd like to have him play alongside Munro for a bit if Maguire doesn't perform. Give him his shot.

I wasn't at the game as Im from Edinburgh and a touch short on money so do not have surplus funds to attend a football game. Anyone at the game have any opinions on the lad?

Thoughts?

I remember guys like Gary Kenneth, Christophe Berra and Darren Barr making mistakes such as Duff's yesterday. The critical thing for him is that he moves forward because his overall play was pretty good considering his previous experience.

I suspect that Grant will return shortly but Jamie should learn from a range of experiences and when he plays again build on it. Fair play to Brew for blooding him and even though Jamie was gutted at his error, other players had a chance to correct it before Offiong scored - this is a team game. Jamie knew he had misjudged the ball. Current first team players have all done the same.

If Jamie needs inspiration he should look no further than the Hamilton centre half although hopefully the final sentence does not come to pass.. '... in March 1995, the new Ipswich Town manager George Burley paid ?150,000[5] for Swailes to return to his former club.[3] Unfortunately, in his first Premier League game for them at home to Aston Villa on April 1, 1995,[6] he scored an own goal in stoppage time at the end of the match, to confirm a 1–0 defeat.[3] Ipswich were relegated to the First Division at the end of that season.'

I though Swailes played very well yesterday as a sprightly 38 year old.

Edited by CELTIC1CALEY3

I agree. Part and parcel of learning his trade at this level. It's a case of trying to make sure it doesnt happen regularly and if that happens he'll become a solid dependable player.

No critism of the guy on my part. As said team game and others could have sorted it before he scored.

I'd like to see him get a wee run at some point if circumstances permit.

I agree. Part and parcel of learning his trade at this level. It's a case of trying to make sure it doesnt happen regularly and if that happens he'll become a solid dependable player.

No critism of the guy on my part. As said team game and others could have sorted it before he scored.

I'd like to see him get a wee run at some point if circumstances permit.

why wait keep him next week with grant,he cant be any worse than mcguire

The best thing that could be done would be to let him get right back up on the horse. It's not as if any of the other options have done anything to show that they are any better (yet) and the last thing we want is to have to bring him on at some point in the future during a crucial moment in a match and realise that his confidence is shot to pieces and he buckles as a result.

Even if we only give him 20 minutes at the end of the game next week it would help.

I have to say for me McGuire was reasonably impressive yesterday. I thought he had a real no nonsense approach to the game and i didn't see any bloopers from him...and he was the only one that attempted to comfort Jamie Duff after the goal went in.

Duff is young and that will have been a real learning curve for him. If Munro's out next week we may see him again although i'm sure the pesimists will have something to say about that. Theyd rather see lanky Lionel no doubt. But Duff will grow. I remember one of Christophe Berras errors as a 19 year old gave us a penalty which won us the game and look at him now...he's been called up to the Scotland squad for the third time and is one of the best touted defenders in the league...it just shows what a bit of growing up can do as a player.

Edited by ajsict92

Zander has done alright for us and on loan to Hellgin and he gave away a penalty on his first team debut, IIRC.

zander made his league debut a year before that against Falkirk. He also played another game before that against Dunfermline...i remember that because he megged Sol Bamba :rotflmao:

I have to say for me McGuire was reasonably impressive yesterday. I thought he had a real no nonsense approach to the game and i didn't see any bloopers from him...and he was the only one that attempted to comfort Jamie Duff after the goal went in.

Duff is young and that will have been a real learning curve for him. If Munro's out next week we may see him again although i'm sure the pesimists will have something to say about that. Theyd rather see lanky Lionel no doubt. But Duff will grow. I remember one of Christophe Berras errors as a 19 year old gave us a penalty which won us the game and look at him now...he's been called up to the Scotland squad for the third time and is one of the best touted defenders in the league...it just shows what a bit of growing up can do as a player.

Have you watched the BBC highlights yet? At one point in the second half, McGuire heads it straight to a Hamilton player, who's then through on goal, but fortunately he pulled his shot wide. I've no idea what Brewster sees in him, but whatever it is, I've certainly never seen it.

McGuire had a bit of a mix up with Tokely in the 2nd half that saw the two of them engage in a spot of verbals. They were not happy with each other.

Ho hum, I posted something which has disappeared on me. Anyway, it went something like this.

Brewster will be in a no win situation with this one. Whoever plays next week will have a tough job, Colin Nish being the aerial threat from Hibs. If he drops Duff he may shatter his confidence. If he throws him straight back in we may have to take it on the chin if his inexperience costs us the game. The fans will be quick to turn on Brewster if it goes pear shaped. For what it's worth, I think he should keep Duff in the middle and take the risk that his job will not be on the line if he errs again.

McGuire did play better than normal on Saturday but I did notice the ball headed into Corcorans path, if McGuire had left it Tokely would have cleared it away from the onrushing player. Maybe that was when captain Rossco burnt McGuires ears.

On another theme whilst we are knocking McGuire (on Jamie's thread), Rory another player who gets a hard time was audibly booed by the wonderful section G support when he entered the fray..............sort it or shut up. I have been quick to criticise these players myself, but it has got to a point where we only see the errors now and not the positives they sometimes display.

I'm off to put a thread on the Beni board.

Have you watched the BBC highlights yet? At one point in the second half, McGuire heads it straight to a Hamilton player, who's then through on goal, but fortunately he pulled his shot wide. I've no idea what Brewster sees in him, but whatever it is, I've certainly never seen it.

I admit McGuire will never be an ICT legend and in general i don't think much of him either. But at this present time he is the only experienced centre half we have due to Munro's injury. And after Zadi signed i recall Brewster said he wouldn't sign another defender. Although after Saturday i hope that will change.

Edited by ajsict92

If Grant is out, then Duff has to start, end of story. He made a mistake on his debut and it cost us a goal. He is inexperienced, and **** like that happens in football. For the rest of the game he was as adequate as the rest of the team.

Think back to our own debut in the SPL and there were 10 or 11 players who all made mistakes and one of our most experienced players cost us dearly .... Duff will improve and should not be dropped.

So....young Duff made a mistake. My own view is, that aside, we should be capable of scoring a few goals against the likes of Hamilton, especially at home. Then again....this is a team which has only won 3 games at home in 2008! (twice against the mighty Gretna)

Duff to remain for sure, as others have said will affect his confidence next time he plays if not. And he had a decent game otherwise, he's entilted to keep his place if Granty does not return.

Lets go 4-3-3 against hibs, they'll be to busy keeping the ball out of their own box, not itme to get it into ours!

I was glad to see Jamie Duff starting. If nothing else, seeing him get a chance has to be encouraging to the other young players at the club looking on. Overall he had a decent game and made a couple of good challenges and looked like he was always looking for a pass out of defense. The lack of movement in front of him on Saturday didn't help much on that front. He made a big mistake for the goal. It won't be the last mistake he makes during a game and hopefully he'll put it behind him and be desperate to put in a performance this week if he's given the chance (which I personally hope he is). As people have said every player has made mistakes, it's part of the game. If it hadn't have been for that one moment I think there would have been a lot more people on here calling for him to be in the starting line-up again next week, because other than that he was pretty solid

Edited by troublegum007

I never really meant to start this thread to talk about Duff's mistake and whether he should start. Moreso what did most think of his overall game and if he looks the part. The papers say he was impressive other than his error, do most agree?

I think he should definintely start. In fact play him alongside Rossco in the middle (a big physical player to play against Nish) and if I'm thinking right thats Proctors suspension over so he can slot in at right back.

Hopefully with Tokely being the vice captain he would be talking Duff through the game. Fair enough maguire could do this but he has his own worries during a game.

I never really meant to start this thread to talk about Duff's mistake and whether he should start.

Its kind of inevitable as this was the main talking point of his performance. Other than the mistake, he seems to have acquitted himself no worse than anyone else on Saturday ... even if that is not saying much. I believe someone also mentioned that he got the sponsors MOM (can anyone confirm?)

I think this is a fairly positive thread as most fans are agreeing that every player can make mistakes, no-one is crucifying him for it, and most agree he should retain his place. If the player himself were to read this then I am sure he would still be remorseful for his mistake but also encouraged that most fans will give him a little leeway this time as they are confident that he can add something to the team.

If Brew's intention is to give Duff a decent first team run to see if he cuts the mustard, I would support that decision.

It is interesting that most posters are willing to forgive him his match losing error against Hamilton.

How different to last season when Zibi, in goal for his first time in the first team against Aberdeen, made a bad error to give a goal away which contributed to our defeat. He was immediately dropped, and constantly castigated by most folk on here for the rest of the season. This despite, I'm led to believe, consistently good displays in our successful reserve team all season.

What has caused this change of heart? Is it just that Duff is young, and 'home grown' that my fellow posters have become so tolerant?

It is good for a change that most are willing to let his mistake go and obviously it's going to be inevitably talked about for reasons said. I just hope he lives up to his promise. After all the reserves were succesful last year and he would have been part of that.

Zibi is a different kettle of fish. His past reputation at Hibs had shown that he was prone to error. Making a mistake straight away against Aberdeen, of all teams, was the worst possible thing he could do. Unless he had given a masterclass and dispelled the idea that he was guff and a liability he was never going to change this impression no matter how well he had done in the reserves.

Perhaps if he hadnt made any errors it could be put down to the fact Gordon Marshall is Hibs goalkeeping coach and that it must be noted all their keepers are prone now to handling errors. Was he not also? Actually no wait, he was just gash!

Yes, Zibi...............he was handed his chance and blew it big style. The difference with the Zibi comparison is that Zibi was well known for making bloopers big time. However, in his defence the ball was hit through the defenders legs which maybe gave him less vision of the ball and he let it squirm over the line. Duff on the other hand has nobody to blame but himself, not Duncan or Hastings or McGuire, or even Offiong and I am sure he knows it. He did pick himself up and performed reasonably well after it though and another game will do him no harm ................unless he repeats the error. Zibi di play well every week for the reserves and his distribution by hand was excellent.