FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Paterson Checks Into Rehab

RiG

I bet at funerals that you say good things about a toe rag, it may be polite but wrong.

He was and is a gambler that is finally seeking help. He did have 7 & 1/2 years with us and we were sorry to lose him.

This does not alter the fact that he was the architect of his own downfall

To paraphrase Shakespeare, "The bad that men do lives after them, the good is often interred with their bones." Not sure if it can be called wrong, but in many cases necessary. People are not always free agents to make rational choices. Ask anyone who lived through those crazy happy days, Pele was, and is still family, thats why we still get these "SP is coming back!" rumours and pleas.

Not only is he part of ICT's family, but he does have a family of his own who are supporting him through this troubled time, I can only assume that Mr Asterix has his reasons for feeling as he does but it doesn't reflect the general views on here and certainly not of this poster.

I think this puts the nail in that coffin for a long time.

I'd still love to see Pele come back as a scout, he had an uncanny eye for latent talent in players from lower divisions. That would be good for the club and good for him, a win/win situation.

Edited by 5thStand

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like alcoholism these are illneses that interfere with having a healthy ans sutainable life. Like a sheep, I too wish him all the best.

Personally as a recovering alcoholic, I have to watch myself not just as far as alcohol is concerned but also my pre disposition to become addicted to things. I have seen and heard of many addicts who have beaten one addiction only for it to transfer to something else.

I wish Pele all the best in beating his gambling addiction.

Graham

Hi Graham

I know you personally (fellow taxi driver many moons ago) and I never would have thought you had any addiction problems. I must firstly congratulate you on overcoming them and secondly congratulate you on continueing to overcome them. They'll never go away and as long as you know that, you control your life. Good luck.

His teams gave me so much pleasure

...and ironically some hefty winnings at the bookies as I recall!

I'm sure we'd all like to think the odds are stacked in his favour. He'd make a tremendous scout for ICT. There would be many here (me too) who'd like to see him back.

MrAsterisk -

"I'll bet that is only your opinion"

and

"I will wager that rehab won't cure him"

Two horrible posts, should be banned for that. If your not gonna give the man support then don't post in this topic. I don't know what team you support but if your an ICT fan then you should be ashamed!

All the best Pele, real legend!

Personally I dont mind 'play on words' comments in most threads but in a thread like this I think it is in bad taste. It is not reflective of the vast majority of responses on here but it is not a bannable comment imho. even if Mr Asterisk is the only one with this viewpoint, he is as entitled to it as the rest of us are in wishing Stevie all the best in attempting to beat (or control) this addiction.

I'd like to join with the vast majority in wishing Steve well in battling his serious problems. Apart from anything else it must have taken considerible courage to go public.

We all knew that Steve had issues with drink and gambling over maney years but it's still a shock to read just how serious the problem was.

All the best Pele. Without your skill as a football manager ICT would not be in the SPL today.

Hope he gets himself sorted and potentially back into the game(although im not holding my breath.)

Its a real shame to see how he's fallen downn to this.

MrAsterisk -

and

Two horrible posts, should be banned for that. If your not gonna give the man support then don't post in this topic. I don't know what team you support but if your an ICT fan then you should be ashamed!

I am entitled to my opinion as as far as I am concerned nobody pours a drink down an alcoholics throat, nobody forces a junkie to shoot up and nobody forced him into a bookies.

Unlike the other sheep that pity him because of his successful ICT years ( Which we are all thankful to him for ) as far as I am concerned - we reap what we sow.

Ask Peterhead why they kicked him out :rotflmao:

Yes Mr Asterix you are entitled to your opinion I can only asume that you have sailed through life with no troubles either that or you are a very hard hearted person, and I am certainly no sheep.There are no guarantees in this life .S P. has been very courageous to admit to his problem especially when he is at a very low point .I personally dont believe in kicking a man when he is down .Dont forget you DO reap what you sow .I imagine every true fan will be praying for his speedy recovery myself included .

MrAsterisk -

and

I am entitled to my opinion as as far as I am concerned nobody pours a drink down an alcoholics throat, nobody forces a junkie to shoot up and nobody forced him into a bookies.

Unlike the other sheep that pity him because of his successful ICT years ( Which we are all thankful to him for ) as far as I am concerned - we reap what we sow.

Ask Peterhead why they kicked him out :rotflmao:

Yes Mr Asterix you are entitled to your opinion I can only asume that you have sailed through life with no troubles either that or you are a very hard hearted person, and I am certainly no sheep.There are no guarantees in this life .S P. has been very courageous to admit to his problem especially when he is at a very low point .I personally dont believe in kicking a man when he is down .Dont forget you DO reap what you sow .I imagine every true fan will be praying for his speedy recovery myself included .

Oops sorry got spelling of your name wrong Mr Asterisk but just had a thought perhaps your attitude has something to do with the fact Steve Patersons aka is Pele and yours is Mr Asterisk. I rest my case .

Oops sorry got spelling of your name wrong Mr Asterisk but just had a thought perhaps your attitude has something to do with the fact Steve Patersons aka is Pele and yours is Mr Asterisk. I rest my case .

Maybe you were thinking that Asterix had the Gaul to create an atmosphere of disscent even on a thread which was started to support a much loved and respected Caley Thistle manager. But that maybe summs up a lot of what this forum seems to be about these days. Their are people on here who would start a fight in an empty room and complain about a smudge on a cheque for a million pounds. In fact after such a good result last Saturday some other posters must be feeling a bit lost because they dont have anything to moan about this week.

While I hope he recovers, this is the part that galvanised me most about this story;

"The ?4,000-a-week course Mr Paterson is on is being funded by the English PFA, whom the former defender was a member of between 1975 and 1981.

?They have not turned their back on me,? he added."

And I have to ask this question, where are they with Gazza?

^^ from pfa press releases etc...they did offer there backing to gazza, if he took them up on it or not, i dont no...but they say the person has to go to them for help first before they do anything! but pretty sure they did pay for treatment at some point...he is in self destruct mode and no amount of help is going to change him, very sad to see

i wish stevie all the best :thumb04: and well done the pfa, supporting a former player after all these years :rotflmao:

Edited by Mick

Unless you've experienced any form of addiction, or been involved with those close to you who have, then I dont think you have a right to comment on the problem, especially to make comments like 'nobody pours a drink down an alcoholics throat, nobody forces a junkie to shoot up and nobody forced him into a bookies'. There is a very very thin line between control and addiction and when the control becomes an addiction there is no control. Maybe one day Mr Asterisk, or anyone else for that matter, will find themselves having to deal with addiction. I sincerely hope they dont.

Last night I watched a programme about an 8 year old girl who was being treated for anorexia. Anorexia being basically an addiction to being slim. This little girl didn't have the life knowledge or maturity to know what was happening to her or why. Something in the brain makes the anorexic person see themselves differently to how anyone else see's them. Should we just say, in this girls case, 'nobody forces her not to eat'? Or should we show help and support.

I have been in the priviledged position of having chatted to Steve Patterson and found him to be a very likeable and interesting person, with a real enthusiasm for his new job, and, until last wednesday when I read the Daily Record, would never have thought there was a part of him that wasn't in control. I am, however, quite confident that, given the treatment and councilling, and reading the messages of support from all who have crossed his path, he will beat this illness and come bouncing back to a happy life.

I seem to recall gazza also attended this clinic. Could be wrong though.

Edited by Alex MacLeod

Im suprised this hasnt happen sooner with Pele especially after what happened at Aberdeen.

But he's taken the major step and admitted his problems and hopefully can get himself on the straight and narrow.

And i'd definitely have him on board as a part time scout if it ever was to happen. Found a great many gems.

Mr Asterisk, your not a good comedian.

I had the pleasure of interviewing Steve when I was in 3rd year as part of my course. ICT, when they were actually good at PR, invited me to the stadium for a day, Pele called me to arrange an interview and I got a tour of the dressing rooms, ground and got to meet a few of the players at that time.

He was very patient, friendly and accomodating, and treated me and my friend with respect and answered the questions in a very indepth manner whilst keeping the answers easy for me to understand.

Also met him again whilst he was manager of Forres, but this time it was a post match post drink occasion. Still very friendly, but the speed at which he drank was shocking.

On the same not, Neil Simpson and Nicky Walker are both two top blokes. I have met them two through football, when I used to play in the same team as Neil's son, and Nicky used to (not sure if he still does) manage a local schools team near Arbroath (Speyside Academy?) when I used to referee the school matches of Forres Academy.

the speed at which he drank was shocking.

Indeed. The first time I met Steve was in the Boardroom at TCS when myself and a couple of others were guests of Tennents for a cup game. We went in after the final whistle and were immediately put at ease when we saw him in the corner downing pints of guinness in about 4 seconds flat !

hope he can win this battle with his demons.

Mr Asterisk

Are you THE "Inverness Caley Thistle" that used to raise some eyebrows on here a year or so ago?

I used to squeeze a few spots :thumb04:

Mr Asterisk

Are you THE "Inverness Caley Thistle" that used to raise some eyebrows on here a year or so ago?

I think you'll find you're two thirds right Pimple :rotflmao:

I would never dream of ponting out his use of foul language :018:

The clue's in his sig

The pimple never was the brightest so we allow for his missing the obvious

Mr Asterisk, your not a good comedian.

Like it matters what you think. I will also point out that at no time did I suggest I was one. Guess you have a reading problem. Go into some institution for help.

Asterisk

What makes you think I missed anything, even if I am dumb?

One thing I havent missed is your way of not winning friends and influencing people. I asked a straightforward question and got a rude and petulant answer. Fits the profile.

Oh well, if you are he or just yourself you can with advantage now change your name to Arse-terisk? Fits the profile.

That's a rhetorical question --no need to answer it and risk getting another drubbing from a simple Pimple dimple.

:rotflmao: