Sign in to follow this  
Sir C the 3rd

Pre-season

Recommended Posts

Also one of the guys in the office has left aswell, not Peter, think it was Ian, so with Don gone Peter is doing three jobs.

Think that Don and Ian were the techno guys, so I suppose its no great surprise they might be missing a few things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, bauhaus said:

Also one of the guys in the office has left aswell, not Peter, think it was Ian, so with Don gone Peter is doing three jobs.

Think that Don and Ian were the techno guys, so I suppose its no great surprise they might be missing a few things.

I did hear Iain Auld has left an gone to work for the P & J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our pre season has consisted of only four friendlies. Is this enough to get match fit for the coming season? 3 wins against HL sides and a defeat against a league side doesn't really fill anyone with confidence going into this Saturday game in the League Cup. To top it all we have string of injuries too. Saturday's game against Brechin City is going to be tough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Considering the League Cup starts so early now, I think the days of us playing weeks of friendlies like we used to are gone.  In saying that, I won't at all be surprised if he get a wee scare on Saturday - Brechin might be part timers, but they'll be no mugs.  I know they, like us, have players missing for Saturday and I won't be at all surprised if it's a very close game indeed.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, bauhaus said:

Also one of the guys in the office has left aswell, not Peter, think it was Ian, so with Don gone Peter is doing three jobs.

Think that Don and Ian were the techno guys, so I suppose its no great surprise they might be missing a few things.

Speaking as someone who is largely technically illiterate, do you really have to be a 'techno guy' to post important information and updates on Twitter and Facebook ? Surely. all you need is a smartphone and a spare ten minutes. I am aware that non essential costs have had to be slashed and that the 'media team' came at quite an expense but that doesn't seem to me to be an excuse for the almost complete lack of information coming from the club on social media. This is 2017 after all.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, IBM said:

I did hear Iain Auld has left an gone to work for the P & J

The man himself confirmed this last week. Sorry to see him go.

36 minutes ago, Renegade said:

Considering the League Cup starts so early now, I think the days of us playing weeks of friendlies like we used to are gone.  In saying that, I won't at all be surprised if he get a wee scare on Saturday - Brechin might be part timers, but they'll be no mugs.  I know they, like us, have players missing for Saturday and I won't be at all surprised if it's a very close game indeed.

I hope we do as well as possible in every game we play but if we patch the League Cup but just use it to get fitness up and have a (semi) decent league run I'd be happy enough with that. Like the Challenge Cup the League Cup is fast becoming a competition that means nothing until you get to the latter stages so I wouldn't be bothered if we struggled so long as performances were decent and we use it to turn in a good league campaign.

30 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

Speaking as someone who is largely technically illiterate, do you really have to be a 'techno guy' to post important information and updates on Twitter and Facebook ? Surely. all you need is a smartphone and a spare ten minutes. I am aware that non essential costs have had to be slashed and that the 'media team' came at quite an expense but that doesn't seem to me to be an excuse for the almost complete lack of information coming from the club on social media. This is 2017 after all.

Totally agree. Social media is the place where people go for news now and as such having a good presence on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram etc is really important for clubs. There's absolutely no doubting that what Don and others did to raise the profile of the club through their Twitter antics was largely a good thing save for some minter episodes like the SuperBowl commentary. For the most part the info put out there was well received, informative and very funny. The club definitely benefited from this.

However, if there was one criticism to be made it was that the people who were involved appeared to be opposed to anyone else joining in and helping out. Something of a "it's my ball" attitude at times. Obviously you don't want to be giving out a password for a club account to just anyone but sometimes it felt as though those involved didn't want anyone else involved which, ironically, is probably what we need now. I completely understand that when you've worked on something for so long and built it up, in this case from pretty much nothing, that you would be hesitant to see someone else come in and potentially ruin it all but I couldn't help but shake the feeling that at times, whilst additional hands would have been welcomed, they weren't really wanted.

Maybe I've picked things up wrong, it wouldn't be the first time, but that's just how I see it.

  • Agree 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to HN Elbouzedi out for 2 months and players carrying knocks this week are fonners, cammy, Brad, vigurs, Elsdon and Baird. That was why the Clach game was cancelled, not looking good for the start of the competitive fixtures in 2 days time 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, RiG said:

The man himself confirmed this last week. Sorry to see him go.

I hope we do as well as possible in every game we play but if we patch the League Cup but just use it to get fitness up and have a (semi) decent league run I'd be happy enough with that. Like the Challenge Cup the League Cup is fast becoming a competition that means nothing until you get to the latter stages so I wouldn't be bothered if we struggled so long as performances were decent and we use it to turn in a good league campaign.

Totally agree. Social media is the place where people go for news now and as such having a good presence on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram etc is really important for clubs. There's absolutely no doubting that what Don and others did to raise the profile of the club through their Twitter antics was largely a good thing save for some minter episodes like the SuperBowl commentary. For the most part the info put out there was well received, informative and very funny. The club definitely benefited from this.

However, if there was one criticism to be made it was that the people who were involved appeared to be opposed to anyone else joining in and helping out. Something of a "it's my ball" attitude at times. Obviously you don't want to be giving out a password for a club account to just anyone but sometimes it felt as though those involved didn't want anyone else involved which, ironically, is probably what we need now. I completely understand that when you've worked on something for so long and built it up, in this case from pretty much nothing, that you would be hesitant to see someone else come in and potentially ruin it all but I couldn't help but shake the feeling that at times, whilst additional hands would have been welcomed, they weren't really wanted.

Maybe I've picked things up wrong, it wouldn't be the first time, but that's just how I see it.

Sorry RiG, but the bit of your post I've underlined is simple unadulterated bull sh*t. I know that Don tried to recruit people (and did) after years of us - Don, Andy, Jack and myself - going to every game home and away to cover it, often at considerable cost and for precious little thanks. Do you know that a lot of the equipment used to give you highlights was bought by the people concerned? That they were paid not a single penny for their efforts? Got absolutely no freebies? Got hassle after hassle from people who really didn't want to be interviewed? Fought to get a better internet connection for the stadium so that we could broadcast highlights? And on a few occasions even paid their own petrol costs. Passwords? least of the problems. And then you tell us that we didn't want help? 

I'll tell you that I had actually tried to leave that media team so many times that Don and Andy were sick of hearing it because I was spending less and less time with family etc. I couldn't, simply because I could see on one on the horizon that would do the job and I didn't want yet more work foisted upon the rest of the team who are my mates. Don got new guys in and I went (to another unpaid, gladly volunteered matchday job) faster than snow off a dyke.

Thanks for covering yourself with "maybe I've picked it up wrong etc." but that doesn't actually justify any of that rubbish. I'm raging that you can put utter tripe on this forum masquerading as considered opinion. It's not and a retraction would be nice. I'll wait.

  • Agree 3
  • Disagree 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RiG said:

The man himself confirmed this last week. Sorry to see him go.

I hope we do as well as possible in every game we play but if we patch the League Cup but just use it to get fitness up and have a (semi) decent league run I'd be happy enough with that. Like the Challenge Cup the League Cup is fast becoming a competition that means nothing until you get to the latter stages so I wouldn't be bothered if we struggled so long as performances were decent and we use it to turn in a good league campaign.

Totally agree. Social media is the place where people go for news now and as such having a good presence on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram etc is really important for clubs. There's absolutely no doubting that what Don and others did to raise the profile of the club through their Twitter antics was largely a good thing save for some minter episodes like the SuperBowl commentary. For the most part the info put out there was well received, informative and very funny. The club definitely benefited from this.

However, if there was one criticism to be made it was that the people who were involved appeared to be opposed to anyone else joining in and helping out. Something of a "it's my ball" attitude at times. Obviously you don't want to be giving out a password for a club account to just anyone but sometimes it felt as though those involved didn't want anyone else involved which, ironically, is probably what we need now. I completely understand that when you've worked on something for so long and built it up, in this case from pretty much nothing, that you would be hesitant to see someone else come in and potentially ruin it all but I couldn't help but shake the feeling that at times, whilst additional hands would have been welcomed, they weren't really wanted.

Maybe I've picked things up wrong, it wouldn't be the first time, but that's just how I see it.

Spot on. 

  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, davie said:

Sorry RiG, but the bit of your post I've underlined is simple unadulterated bull sh*t. I know that Don tried to recruit people (and did) after years of us - Don, Andy, Jack and myself - going to every game home and away to cover it, often at considerable cost and for precious little thanks. Do you know that a lot of the equipment used to give you highlights was bought by the people concerned? That they were paid not a single penny for their efforts? Got absolutely no freebies? Got hassle after hassle from people who really didn't want to be interviewed? Fought to get a better internet connection for the stadium so that we could broadcast highlights? And on a few occasions even paid their own petrol costs. Passwords? least of the problems. And then you tell us that we didn't want help? 

I'll tell you that I had actually tried to leave that media team so many times that Don and Andy were sick of hearing it because I was spending less and less time with family etc. I couldn't, simply because I could see on one on the horizon that would do the job and I didn't want yet more work foisted upon the rest of the team who are my mates. Don got new guys in and I went (to another unpaid, gladly volunteered matchday job) faster than snow off a dyke.

Thanks for covering yourself with "maybe I've picked it up wrong etc." but that doesn't actually justify any of that rubbish. I'm raging that you can put utter tripe on this forum masquerading as considered opinion. It's not and a retraction would be nice. I'll wait.

I'm fully aware that a lot of the work was done a) by volunteers and b) off their own back with no salary, freebies etc. It's of course highly commendable and I've said so in the past but I'm happy to repeat it - the media team did a really excellent job pulling together highlights of the odd game, interviews before and after games and of course with the Twitter updates. The recent addition of live streaming games to overseas supporters is also excellent and has been widely commended on here.

However, I stand by my feeling that it was, at times, something of a closed shop to outsiders. Twice either I or someone else had offered to do the Twitter updates for games were one of the regulars couldn't make it and each time we received a quite terse rejection.

I'm sorry to hear that you felt like you wanted to leave it all behind and do something else but if the club, media team or whoever need some extra hands to help out I'm sure there would be willing volunteers. Maybe I've missed the calls for additional support on the media side of things (and indeed any other times the club has asked for an extra pair of hands) but if it's an ongoing plea for assistance, and it sounds like it is, maybe it would be an idea to have a section on volunteering on the club website with some of the opportunities that could be on offer for both home and away games?

  • Agree 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In fairness, RiG does provide excellent updates via Twitter from matches. He makes it to the vast majority of matches too, home and away. 

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are regular CaleyAwayers with journalism and other media degrees (which I don't think any of the media team have, certainly not the original ones) and I remember one person on Twitter (I think it was Top Six Next Year) asking why they weren't involved if they were short of numbers.  "It's my ball..." was quite an apt response.

  • Agree 7
  • Disagree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/07/2017 at 9:25 AM, RiG said:

The man himself confirmed this last week. Sorry to see him go.

I hope we do as well as possible in every game we play but if we patch the League Cup but just use it to get fitness up and have a (semi) decent league run I'd be happy enough with that. Like the Challenge Cup the League Cup is fast becoming a competition that means nothing until you get to the latter stages so I wouldn't be bothered if we struggled so long as performances were decent and we use it to turn in a good league campaign.

Totally agree. Social media is the place where people go for news now and as such having a good presence on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram etc is really important for clubs. There's absolutely no doubting that what Don and others did to raise the profile of the club through their Twitter antics was largely a good thing save for some minter episodes like the SuperBowl commentary. For the most part the info put out there was well received, informative and very funny. The club definitely benefited from this.

However, if there was one criticism to be made it was that the people who were involved appeared to be opposed to anyone else joining in and helping out. Something of a "it's my ball" attitude at times. Obviously you don't want to be giving out a password for a club account to just anyone but sometimes it felt as though those involved didn't want anyone else involved which, ironically, is probably what we need now. I completely understand that when you've worked on something for so long and built it up, in this case from pretty much nothing, that you would be hesitant to see someone else come in and potentially ruin it all but I couldn't help but shake the feeling that at times, whilst additional hands would have been welcomed, they weren't really wanted.

Maybe I've picked things up wrong, it wouldn't be the first time, but that's just how I see it.

Sorry to see Iain go, he was a great ambassador for the club. I'm no fan of the press (sorry Charles!) but I hope he has a great career at the P&J.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone else hearing we're playing Clach on Tuesday?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Renegade said:

Anyone else hearing we're playing Clach on Tuesday?

There will be an official announcement on Wednesday :wink:

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A game during our idle mid week is a good idea. It's very obvious that this new team needs as much game time as possible before the serious business of securing vital league points begin.

A game against Clach would be a chance for a work out. A match against one of the other teams sitting out this midweek might be a bit more competitive and more closely reflect the challenges we will face in the league and would be a better option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, IBM said:

There will be an official announcement on Wednesday :wink:

Nope, they have made it now

Our rearranged friendly versus @clachfc will be played at Grant Street Park this coming Tuesday : Kick Off 7.45pm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wee hiccup or two writing our striker's name on the team sheet! :lol:

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.