FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Them Little Yellow Squares...

Canada Bob

Anyone know what them wee yellow squares are on the Motorway signs ?

They are about a foot square, some have a black circle, some a black triangel, some a square and so on...

I see 'em all ore the place, but I can't figure out what the hell they are, and no one that I ask seems to know :rotflmao:

canada? or scotland? I haven't seen any in Scotland.

Here in the Untidy Kingdom, I see them everywhere, but I don't recall them the last time we were here, {last year}.

I've asked dozens of folks even retired coppers, no one know what they are...

I think they are for commonly used diversion routes. So if there is a road closed a sign might be put up saying

For Wigan follow [yellow square]

For Preston follow [black triangle]

etc

Right, understood, but...

How would they know where to start the diversion ? it's a bit odd to me, especially when you'd be amazed how many folks don't know some of the regular road signs, especially the "End of Motorway" sign, I remember it, but folks who have lived here "for ever" don't know what that {sort of} Bridge sign with a line across it means, I'd say around 90% of the folks I ask "what does that mean" don't know !!!

The other peculiarity is, the 30 sign has a 30 on it, so does the 40, and the 50, but the National Speed Limit signs don't have any number on them, how's that ? half the folks I ask about that white sign with a black crossbar, ant a clue what it means, FFS...

And if you really want to f*ck folks up, ask them to explain what the 14% gradient means, sigh, I remember the older signs saying stuff like "Hill 1 in 6", the most memorable response I had to that {some 40 years ago was}...

"It means there's 6 Hills like that in England, and this is 1 of them" !!!

Yea, it was a woman, oddly enough not a Blonde though :rotflmao:

Edited by Canada Bob

Most drivers dont know what signs mean, for example, near my house, there is a red hexagon shaped sign with the word STOP written on it. If anyone knows what this sign means, write an article in the newspaper for me. :rotflmao:

If you are diverted off a main trunk road you will be given a sign saying something like.."Diversion ahead - Follow xxxx (Your 'star' sign is given at this point). Following these will, eventually, bring you back on course again.

The reason for not showing the max' speed on signs....i.e. 60 or 70, is because they have not more 6's or 7's as the ink was used to make 3's, 4's and 5's.... :rotflmao: