FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Swine Flu death in Inverness

SMEE

"A WOMAN suffering from swine flu has died in Inverness.

The tourist, who was admitted to Raigmore Hospital more than three weeks ago, is said to have had underlying medical conditions when she died yesterday (Wednesday).

She is now the third person in Scotland to have died from H1N1.

A 73-year-old man and 38-year-old woman suffering from swine flu died last month. They also had underlying health problems.

Health Secretary Nicola Sturgeon said: "This woman?s death is a tragedy for her family and friends and I?d like to express my sincere condolences.

"As we have seen in previous cases, this patient was suffering from underlying health conditions and her death should not cause alarm among the general population.

"Fortunately, the vast majority of those who have H1N1 suffer relatively mild symptoms and make a full recovery. The latest figures for Scotland also show that, while the virus continues to circulate, the rates remain relatively low."

The total number of people with swine flu to have died across the UK now stands at 18."

Now....after a little investigation by myself, turns out....every winter, Influenza claims 5000 lives in the UK, out of approx 1.5 million cases. Swine flu has claimed 18 in total out of 2000+ cases.

Influenza claims 500 000 people worldwide each year. Swine flu has claimed worldwide less than 3000.

So...why all the media sensationalism?

Edited by SMEE

Now....after a little investigation by myself, turns out....every winter, Influenza claims 5000 lives in the UK, out of approx 1.5 million cases. Swine flu has claimed 18 in total out of 2000+ cases.

Influenza claims 500 000 people worldwide each year. Swine flu has claimed worldwide less than 3000.

So...why all the media sensationalism?

I think someone on here made a point about the recession and how panic makes people buy. Therefore, scare them out of their wits, they rush to the shops thus helping end the recession.

Who said that I cannot remember...

I think someone on here made a point about the recession and how panic makes people buy. Therefore, scare them out of their wits, they rush to the shops thus helping end the recession.

Who said that I cannot remember...

Em....that would be me then!

I decided to remove my post voluntarily as it's obvious that the over inflated sensibilities and grief culture that's becoming so prevalent in the UK makes it difficult for many of you to accept a harmless tongue in cheek comment made in the passing.

this is off-topic but to answer your question without starting yet another ****storm, the MJ jokes by and large refer to paedophilia. Because we have site members of all ages and because he was never actually convicted of this crime (despite what many of us may believe ourselves) it was deemed unsuitable for a forum with a membership of all ages and where we have rules about defamatory statements. simple as that.

the comment posted by CaleyD earlier and removed of his own volition was neither unsuitable for younger viewers nor was it defamatory. Some people may have seen it as "bad taste" but it was a pun, intended as humour, and interestingly enough, no-one complained about the post that followed it .... perhaps because that follow up pun was not made by a mod/admin ?

That is the difference.

back on topic now please

• 2 weeks later...

Well i love in aberlour a smallish kind of town about 25 mins from Elgin, you will only know it because of Aberlour Distillery or Walkers Shortbread, and apparently Swine Flu is calming down, well in the last 3 days we have had 7 people with confirmed cases of swine fly

My 2 younger boys were given over the phone diagnosis of having swine flu. The system 2 weeks ago was diabolical. One of my boys started feeling unwell over the weekend so I called NHS direct, First call was at 8.30pm and operator, after numerous questions, put me through to a nurse, who, after the same numerous questions, told me to call my own doctor, who's answer phone gave me a number to ring for West yorkshire urgent care, who's operator, after the same numerous questions, put me through to NHS direct in London who told me, after the same numerous questions, a doctor would call in next couple of hours. I eventually got the call, after waiting up until 2.30am, at 5.15am. And, after yet again the same numerous questions, all he did was tell me to call my own doc in the morning. In the morning I phoned the doc and suprisingly enough she asked the same numerous questions, and told me to get someone who had not been in contact with boys to collect the Tami flu

Shocking system at the time. Both boys were fine in 4/5 days but had to miss my wedding as doc said they couldn't go to any large gatherings for a week-10 days.