FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Elgin Floods

CaleyMad

Elgin is mostly underwater today after preperation for the floods failed due to lack of sandbags. The River Lossie burst at around 12 pm filling up a near-by sunken park. Sand bags were placed around the area apart from one part that never had because they ran out.

BBC WEBSITE

I will get the photo's on once they are re-sized as they are too large.

Photo's

Cooper Park *the pillar is about the same size as me (5"8)

Houses * water went over the flood gate but this was before it.

Edited by caleymad

Elgin is mostly underwater today after preperation for the floods failed due to lack of sandbags. The River Lossie burst at around 12 pm filling up a near-by sunken park. Sand bags were placed around the area apart from one part that never had because they ran out.

Due to the lack of sandbags are you having a laugh?

Moray Council has been filling sandbags since Tuesday preparing for this and my dad and many moray council workes were called out at 11pm last night to start handing out sand bags and placing them around the lossie to try and delay the inevitable, and these workers are still out now and have not returned home yet. Every home affected was offered sand bags which some took advantage of some didnt as they have the flood gates things. People were starting to be evacuated at 8am this morning when it was felt too dangerous for people to stay in there home.

The river lossie actually burst at 9am this morning

I remember when dingwall was flooded. Was on the bus going to school and we just turned of to start heading towards the school and we got told to turn round since the road was flooded. Got a day of school cause of the dingwall floods LOVE IT!

I remember when dingwall was flooded.

I remember when Dingwall was flooded too. There was a funny wooden boat thing packed with animals floating down the High Street. :018:

Seriously, though, one of the biggest problems in Elgin is that they have had plans for an Flood Alleviation Scheme drawn up for some time but they can't be implemented until objections by a small number of people (around 20 I believe) have been dealt with.

Enter at this point the Planning Process and the Legal Profession. Need I say more about how affairs grind to a virtual halt when even one, never mind both of these institutions becomes involved.

It is apparently going to take months to hold a public enquiry, do a report and then put it on from the of Holyrood people.