FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Bridges

CaleyD

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to CaleyD, and backed up by this picture taken from the underside of the bridge, the Friars Bridge is actually TWO identical bridges built on a single foundation ......... so there you have it

post-2-1255461377_thumb.jpg

1. It does not go over the Ness

2. It is a different type of bridge construction (suspension) to the Friars Bridge (pre-stressed concrete arch) so does not lend itself to being 2 separate bridges.

Ness Viaduct - Original Bridge built in 1862 and replaced in 1989

Black Bridge - Original Wooden Bridge built in 1808, replaced in 1896

Friars Bridge - 1987

Greig Street Bridge - 1881

Ness Road Bridge - Numerous wooden bridges dating back to 11th Century, first stone bridge in 1685 then replaced by a suspension bridge in 1855 and the current bridge in 1961.

Infirmary Bridge - 1879

Ness Island Bridges - Originals built in 1829, replaced in 1853

Technically the oldest crossing over the Ness would be the current Islands Bridges (Infirmary if you are taking it as originals), but one of the original Islands Bridges is now located at Whin Park (part of the miniature railway setup), so that would be the oldest surviving Bridge....although it doesn't cross the River Ness anymore.

According to CaleyD, and backed up by this picture taken from the underside of the bridge, the Friars Bridge is actually TWO identical bridges built on a single foundation ......... so there you have it

post-2-1255461377_thumb.jpg

I'll be getting into trouble since this is the second time in an hour that I've challenged one of Caley D's statements of fact. However, going in a vertical direction, I would suggest that a bridge becomes a bridge the instant it rises above the level of the water. And when it does that, the Friars Bridge is a SINGLE entity. The fact that it splits in two some feet above the point that it becomes a bridge is therefore irrelevant. It would also be interesting to find out whether the "gap" exists for the entire bank to bank width becasuse if it does not, that would further weaken the case for it being two bridges.

If I REALLY wanted to be a pedant, I might also challenge Donald's assertion that his two bridges are IDENTICAL. It is more likely that they are MIRROR IMAGES of each other in which case they would need a plane of symmetry parallel to their line across the river and through the centre of the "gap". But also to be identical both parts would in addition require a plane of symmetry perpendicular to that line. This would make them superimposable mirror images and hence identical.

(Yes...OK.... I admit it... it's the school holidays and I'm suffering from withdrawal symptoms. :024: )

Edited by Charles Bannerman

A bridge is a structure which spans and provides passage over a gap or barrier....so in order to discredit the two bridge fact you would have to prove that the foundations make up part of the structure as opposed to simply providing a support for the structure/s.

Two chopsticks don't become one when you place them on the table holder. Two tunnels do not become one by virtue of the fact that they pass through the same mountain. Two telephone lines do not become one simply because they run between shared pylons......I therefore put forward the argument that two bridges do not become one because they share a common foundation.

The two bridges are structurally identical, any difference in appearance is purely cosmetic or the result of ancillary structures added to make them functional (addition of steps, barriers, lighting, paths etc. Being dead straight, I couldn't imagine any reason why the engineers would want to do anything else!!!