FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Pope to visit the UK

ictchris

I cannot really agree with that petition, as it says the creator accepts the right of the Pope to visit his followers in this country. The point of the petition is to have the Catholic church pay for the security needed to accommodate his visit but if we look at the Pope's other role as the head of state for the country of Vatican City then we must pay for this state visit, how many countries end up paying for our own head of state or her representatives to perform official visits?

The Daily mash story is an excellent piece of satire.

I cannot really agree with that petition, as it says the creator accepts the right of the Pope to visit his followers in this country. The point of the petition is to have the Catholic church pay for the security needed to accommodate his visit but if we look at the Pope's other role as the head of state for the country of Vatican City then we must pay for this state visit, how many countries end up paying for our own head of state or her representatives to perform official visits?

The Daily mash story is an excellent piece of satire.

I think I would have to agree with Birdog on this. The only arguement I can foresee is, it may depend in which capacity he is visiting. Is he visiting as the head of a country (The Vatican) or as the head of the Church? If it's the latter the church should pay for his security. Others may argue that it is an honour to have him here so we should pay but as I'm not a religious man why should I pay out of my taxes for his visit. I think this one will run and run. :D

In the papers today, Easyjet have offered to fly him to the UK free of charge and even offered him speedy boarding. I kid you not.

You mean The Pope arriving in Scotland on an orange plane!? :D :lol::lol: What a publicity coup for The Lodge!

What next? A Civic Reception at Ibrox with a menu of Eggs Benedict and Pope's Eye steak, all washed down by a cheeky wee glass of Chateauneuf du Pape. Entertainment from The Priests.

Edited by Charles Bannerman

• 1 month later...

Only the second ever papal visit and the first for almost 30 years and people are protesting. The Pope, as leader of the Catholic church and head of state of the Vatican, has been invited by the leader of the English church and head of state of the UK to visit Britian. Why should we not afford him maximum protection at our cost.

The Queen and her family travel all over the world and are given security and protection at no cost to the UK. Our parliamentarians are afforded the same security on their dubious trips abroad so why protest against us providing the same hospitality.

Some say the total cost may be around ?20 million, some of which will be met by the Catholic church, but nobody has yet mentioned the millions this visit will make for Glasgow, Coventry and London with people flocking from all corners of Britian and beyond just for a glimpse.

To me the protesting smacks of no more than downright religious bigotry and does nothing in the fight for world peace and goodwill.

Incidently, I have no religious leanings.

Only the second ever papal visit and the first for almost 30 years and people are protesting. The Pope, as leader of the Catholic church and head of state of the Vatican, has been invited by the leader of the English church and head of state of the UK to visit Britian. Why should we not afford him maximum protection at our cost.

The Queen and her family travel all over the world and are given security and protection at no cost to the UK. Our parliamentarians are afforded the same security on their dubious trips abroad so why protest against us providing the same hospitality.

Some say the total cost may be around ?20 million, some of which will be met by the Catholic church, but nobody has yet mentioned the millions this visit will make for Glasgow, Coventry and London with people flocking from all corners of Britian and beyond just for a glimpse.

To me the protesting smacks of no more than downright religious bigotry and does nothing in the fight for world peace and goodwill.

Sad people - "flock from all corners of Britain". I wouldn't step over my doorstep to get a glimpe of the Pope, or the Queen for that matter.

Sad people - "flock from all corners of Britain". I wouldn't step over my doorstep to get a glimpe of the Pope, or the Queen for that matter.

Your opinion. One that is not shared by millions of people. Some of those millions may just be saying, "Sad people - "flock from all corners of Britian". I wouldn't step over my doorstep to get a glimpse of Ross Tokely, or ICT for that matter".

Some of those millions may just be saying, "Sad people - "flock from all corners of Britian". I wouldn't step over my doorstep to get a glimpse of Ross Tokely".

The only people who would say that are the ones lucky enough get a great view of him from their window.

When Tokely touches down in another country, the tarmac kisses him. And of course the Tokemobile wouldn't need bulletproof glass.

Hardly sad. as Alex said, thats your opinion. Mine is that its good to have anyone like this coming to Britain. Considering he is the most famous person in the world after all :024:

Hardly sad. as Alex said, thats your opinion. Mine is that its good to have anyone like this coming to Britain. Considering he is the most famous person in the world after all :rolleyes:

When priests stop molesting young boys I might have more sympathy. You don't honestly believe that no-one in the Vatican, even the Pope, did not know what was going on for years.

Your opinion. One that is not shared by millions of people. Some of those millions may just be saying, "Sad people - "flock from all corners of Britian". I wouldn't step over my doorstep to get a glimpse of Ross Tokely, or ICT for that matter".

Poor comparison!

Hardly sad. as Alex said, thats your opinion. Mine is that its good to have anyone like this coming to Britain. Considering he is the most famous person in the world after all :rolleyes:

When priests stop molesting young boys I might have more sympathy. You don't honestly believe that no-one in the Vatican, even the Pope, did not know what was going on for years.

I call my sister sad for watching Hannah Montana, but in her opinion its a good tv programme.

And Frankly, i do not see what the peados in the Catholic church have to do with people who want to see the Pope being sad?

And Frankly, i do not see what the peados in the Catholic church have to do with people who want to see the Pope being sad?

I also think it is two separate issues ......

Issue 1: Whether the Pope was complicit in the recent sex scandals by doing nothing when the case of Father Lawrence Murphy crossed his desk many years ago when he was still a cardinal. I think this one will run and run and will probably tarnish the reputation of this particular pope. Not sure if its because of the popularity of Pope JP II or whether its just something about Ratzinger but he does not seem to be as revered as the last one: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/worl...icle7075237.ece

Issue 2: The Papal visit. I tend to agree with Alex on this one. The Pope is head of the Catholic church, and given the large numbers of people practising the catholic religion, whether anyone likes it or not he is a "world leader" just like the Royals, The PM, the US president, or even - and perhaps a more close parallel - the head of the UN.

When any of these leaders visit another country in an official capacity it is not unreasonable for security to be provided by that Country despite any misgivings they or some of their citizens may have. I am sure there are many world leaders who appear at places such as the headquarters of the UN in New York and who they would prefer not to pay a dime in security for .... (Ahmadinejad for one) but it is just the way it is done. The G8 and G20 conference this year is in Toronto and its going to cause complete disruption downtown as they erect a security cordon that is unheard of in Canadian terms. The cost of this will undoubtedly be added to my tax dollars in some fashion but unfortunately, thats the way it is !!!

It may surprise you to learn but its not only priests who molest. Should the queen have known when ministers of her church were convicted of peadophile acts. Because they have, as have sunday school teachers, BB leaders etc, etc.

It may surprise you to learn but its not only priests who molest. Should the queen have known when ministers of her church were convicted of peadophile acts. Because they have, as have sunday school teachers, BB leaders etc, etc.

but did the Queen turn a blind eye to it ?

It does not surprise me at all but it was never as widespread and swept under the carpet. I would never go out of my way to go and see or respect anyone who turned a blind eye to that filth. Perhaps my morals are higher than yours.