FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Speed Cameras

Johnboy

Not getting into debate about the camera locations as I dont know the answers. I will, however, say, as someone who has fallen foul of them on more than one occassion on the open roads, I cannot sympathise with anyone who speeds in a built up area. Be the road straight or otherwise. If you've ever seen a dead child lying in a street you'll understand why.

Signs

"Camera warning and speed limit reminder signs must be placed in advance of fixed, mobile or time/distance speed enforcement taking place. For fixed sites, signs must be placed within 1 Km of the housing."

There are frequent warning signs all the way between Sneck and the Fort. They dont have to be close to the area of the mobile unit. Save your money John. Realise you've broken the law and cough up.

Fixed camera's are something else. They should only be sited on stretches of road where there has been 4 fatalities in 5 years. Trouble is they dont get removed if the road has been accident free for a number of years.

Another point that not many people may think about. If your towing a caravan or trailer on the open roads the restriction is 50. Yep you all knew that one but did you know that a commercial transit van has the same restrictions as an artic truck. 50 mph.

Fixed camera's are something else. They should only be sited on stretches of road where there has been 4 fatalities in 5 years. Trouble is they dont get removed if the road has been accident free for a number of years.

To me that would suggest the cameras were working, so why reintroduce a known risk? I wouldn't want to be the one to explain to a parent that their child wasn't coming home because a bureaucrat decided that his statistics were improved.

Safety cameras are just that "SAFETY CAMERAS". They are not designed as a revenue stream but to deter speeding and save lives there has to be a financial and/or custodial penalty (in extreme cases). Conspiracy theorists are everywhere and tend to get those who listen to them wound up but the fact remains that cameras save lives.

Whilst I understand why they are there, I fail to see how my safety would be compromised by driving at say 10mph faster than the antiquated speed limit set before tyres had air in them, on a long straight and wide road with no other vehicles in sight. Cars are better able to cope with increased speeds nowadays, better braking systems, road handling and built in safety features. There is however no excuse for dangerous driving/overtaking at any speed which will be the likely cause of many accidents. Tiredness is also a killer.

Speed cameras may save lives in city centres, but on rural roads do they really make a difference other than the polis funds at the end of the year. Circumstances play a big part in accidents, it's not so easy to crash into another car if there are no cars near you, yet the punishment will be the same. Money for old rope.

The polis would be better off sorting out the crimes on the streets where some of the youngsters today are out of hand. Drugs are rife, fighting in the streets, burglary, murder, stabbings..........where are the cameras now.

Hi John I work in Fort augustus and the most frequent place for the mobile unit is at the fire station. It is there quite regularly I understand. Another regular place is on the straight at Aultsigh between Invermoriston and Drumnarochit. They are both on long straight places of the road. the fort on as you come onto the 30mph bit and the other one is on a 60mph bit. The police in Fort also have a gun device which according to local rumour can catch you from 1 mile away. It has a display on it which lists the registration numbers of several cars so I suppose they can catch several at once. Best to stick to 20mph in Fort as most of the locals now do as seems to be too easy to get caught BTW have never seen mobile signs at either location but as already stated lots of signs along the A82.

Watch the straight at Bridge of Orchy too if going down the A82 to the matches - another fav place for the mobile unit on a long 60mph straight.

Whilst I understand why they are there, I fail to see how my safety would be compromised by driving at say 10mph faster than the antiquated speed limit set before tyres had air in them, on a long straight and wide road with no other vehicles in sight. Cars are better able to cope with increased speeds nowadays, better braking systems, road handling and built in safety features. There is however no excuse for dangerous driving/overtaking at any speed which will be the likely cause of many accidents. Tiredness is also a killer.

Speed cameras may save lives in city centres, but on rural roads do they really make a difference other than the polis funds at the end of the year. Circumstances play a big part in accidents, it's not so easy to crash into another car if there are no cars near you, yet the punishment will be the same. Money for old rope.

The polis would be better off sorting out the crimes on the streets where some of the youngsters today are out of hand. Drugs are rife, fighting in the streets, burglary, murder, stabbings..........where are the cameras now.

There is a lot of wisdom in what you say there Mannie but I don't see much change in the current situation in the current age of Carbon Fascism where limiting speed will increasingly be seen as a means of reducing the jolly old "footprint" and also where Government needs to pull in evet bit of revenue it can. It doesn't need too many people zapped doing 35 to pay for the cleaning out of an MP's moat, after all.

• 2 months later...

I fall into the "don't speed and you don't get fined" brigade and I can honestly say that (*smugness alert*) I have no fear of speed cameras - fixed, mobile or stratospheric - for the simply reason that by following my training, I am constantly aware of my speed in accordance with local and immediate conditions and the relevant speed limit being applied.

Before that training I consider myself as being like the majority - didn't appreciate the reasons for the limits, didn't think they applied to me in any case and added just a dash of immaturity. I used to have points on my license as a result, but not for some time now and definitely never again.

As someone who drives circa 60K per annum both in the UK and Europe, awareness and knowing the legality requirements are critical.

However no matter how good or conscientious a driver you are there are times when you will be trapped by these government cash cows.

I have invested in a "Road Angel"..........keeps me alert and on the right side of the law.

As someone who drives circa 60K per annum both in the UK and Europe, awareness and knowing the legality requirements are critical.

However no matter how good or conscientious a driver you are there are times when you will be trapped by these government cash cows.

I have invested in a "Road Angel"..........keeps me alert and on the right side of the law.

What's that? A scantily clad passenger who sweet talks the traffic cops?

What's that? A scantily clad passenger who sweet talks the traffic cops?

;) :lol: :( unfortunately not, she's got a voice worse than the missus!! Blackspot.com for the full range. Also if I remember correctly Pepipoo.com/safety cameras had some good advice and links.

My last brush with the mobile camera gestapo ended in me getting off scot free (at the time).........three weeks later coming home in the dark following our Sunday game with the Tims, nailed on at Keith by a traffic car with hand held.......sneaky barsteward was hiding up a farm track and the Angel did'nt pick up the radar :blink: :D

• 4 weeks later...

The road geometry dictates the speed on which vehicles drive not the design of the car. For example take the standard overtaking sight distance for a certain vehicle - this wont change regardless of which technology you implement under the bonnet. The derived formulas are completely indapendent of the vehicles accelerative performance, and only focus on the speed limit imposed to carry out the manouver (hence the long straight and wide Autoban in Germany - lots of time to think). To change the speed limits would therefore require a change in the geometry of the road (or the conditions surrounding it).

I personally have 3 points - my numberplate was stolen two years ago and the police informed me that it is likely that an almost identical car which had been stolen was driving around somewhere. I recieved a letter through the post informing me of an additional 3 points which i had incurred (im about 50%% sure it wasnt me :D ) and I mentioned this to the police. Nothing more came of it!

Another thing (sort for going off on one!) - I spoke to my past employer about the time of almost recieving 6 points and offered to pay the excess once the result was confirmed. They reacted positively but it might be different if company policy comes into play.

the ex's old man managed to avoid a fine by paying ?30 for a legal walkthrough document on the internet which he followed like gospel, dont ask me anymore about it though!

Needless to say iv calmed down since all these incidents and consider myself one of the more law abiding drivers now (likely until i get a bigger car)