FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

10 Team SPL - Confirmed...

Iain

The one thing I'd like to see is the evidence. What evidence do they have for any of the stuff they're spouting out. And another SPL spin, saying they had all clubs on board when they clearly only got one to back down - we must be even more of a laughing stock now than ever before. *cringes*

Its hard to understand what the reduction of a league size will do apart from being financial. We need a competitive product in this country to get media interest, all having 10 will do is create a league which is going to force spending which teams dont have in order not to drop into SPL2 - unless the 'bigger' clubs are going to reduce their share and split all monies equally between the 22 clubs?

With 10 teams where is the space and oppertunity to develop youth? There wont be any, its 2 for the title and 2 out of 8 for the drop, big pressure.

How will the new proposals level the field? Same as every league in Europe now its monopolised by the champions league qualifers, obviously UEFA/FIFA get what they want with the same clubs every year but where does that leave the rest of us - if the OF wish to improve the scottish game then they need to give back some of the CL monies into the league pot for distribution, if not the gap will never close (excluding all their being a big influx of arab sheiks wanting a bit of SPL action)

Fact is teams need to live within their budgets and accept that taking less TV money and gates V the OF by having a bigger league will give the chance to develop youth. We need to look ahead 10-15 years, not into 2 years and what Sky want to show. Currently the product is dire, how can 10 teams all getting deeper in debt possibly help other than showering the teams with 2nd rate foriegners? just look at the shining example of the EPL - exciting football - Yes, great players on show - Yes, good technical skills - Yes, enough good english players to make a decent national team (ie players in the top 4/5 or 6) - NO, thats what we will have to endure for years yet again.

we must be even more of a laughing stock now than ever before. *cringes*

Doubt it. No one outside of Scotland really cares about Scottish football and by that I mean fans of Italian clubs etc not ICT fans living in another country. That said this article is interesting reading...

http://arabtrust.co.uk/current/?454-deportivo-fans-opinion-of-the-spl

• Agree 2

interesting indeed !!

I do however back you up on the "no-one caring" about the Scottish league thing .....

A few of my friends over here care about the SPL, mostly because they are either Scottish, or have Scottish roots and have been long time fans of a Scottish team or just love football regardless of where it comes from ... but in general the other fans I associate with simply dont care much about the SPL beyond the odd story about Maurice Edu (ex Toronto FC), or Dwayne De Rosario when he arrived at Parkhead on Boxing Day, or when bitching about former TFC manager Mo Johnston. Other than that the SPL is irrelevant.

I guess the same could be said for me ... I am friends with a few TFC supporters who have various European heritages and I know little about those leagues beyond the basics, and I also have South American friends and profess to know virtually nothing about any of the leagues down there.

we must be even more of a laughing stock now than ever before. *cringes*

Doubt it. No one outside of Scotland really cares about Scottish football and by that I mean fans of Italian clubs etc not ICT fans living in another country. That said this article is interesting reading...

http://arabtrust.co....nion-of-the-spl

Saw that on TV the other night RIG. Although I take the point, I think, in reality, they have had the Spanish equivalent of the Scottish football for many years. Two teams that win almost everything, light years ahead of everyone else in financial terms. Don't believe the gulf is any less significant in Spain that it is here. The product however, is an entirely different beast!

Yeah, the only real demand for Scottish football is from the fans in Scotland. TV and going to games. How the SPL thinks they will be able to sell the rights to Sky when all of the customers have said "nah,not paying for this crap" is beyond me.

No supporters - no viewers - no money.

well it looks like butchers comments are being backed by killie's chairman with the bullying tactics. I totally disagree with the hamilton chairman who claims that scottish football is better with the old firm because they bring in the money from the tv deals and that we should keep the tv companies sweet. Well we dont if tv aint happy then sod off it will be fans who makes the difference and that a more exciting expanded league will pull back the crowds. U never know sky may actually stay interested if it becomes more competitive and that the old firm are given a challenge as there may be a bigger interest in scottish football. But killie wont vote for it as they believe the old firm have to much of an influence and that they aint going to budge on the redistribution wealth and the voting system so i hope it stays and this ridiculous idea is shot down

The longer this drags on it seems more likely to stay as it is http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Motherwell-Relegation-cash-is-10team.6697666.jp

If 3 clubs want 14 teams and the rest want 10 its stalemate.

As for Wells clarity on the parachute payment, I would prefer to call it a residency payment because a couple of the relegated teams will have to make the SPL2 their new home.

Theres no point Well saying that if they agree it will be for the good of football for SPL2, if this, so called money is out there, why not have an SPL 2 anyway, regardless of what happens in our division. (unless Well is calling their bluff of course as the figures dont add up)

If wads of cash is to be made available because we have an SPL 2, supposedly through tv revenue????, then why will Qos v Cowdenbeath supposedly bring in more money than say Hamilton v St Mirren in the top flight.

Looking at it from a different perspective if you put QOS and Cowdenbeath in the SPL in a 14 team league (just an example) is the value of that match worth far less in the top league as opposed to SPL2.

Edited by 12th Man