FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Esson

Renegade

68 members have voted

1. 1. Is Ryan Esson ICT's best ever keeper?

2. 2. Who is ICT's best ever keeper?

• Ryan Esson
    • Jim Calder
    • Mark Brown
    • Michael Fraser
    • Zibi Malkowski
    • Nicky Walker
    • Mark McRichie
    • Johnny Tuffey
    • Les Fridge
    • Someone Else?

Just from reading the thing there about Ryan Esson leading the POTY poll as things stand (and IMO he'll probably, deservedly win the lot), has got me wondering, is Ryan Esson the best ever ICT keeper? Obviously there other ones that also stand out - Mark Brown was a good shot stopper and very good player for the club over a number of years but his kicking and what not wasn't the best. Also, he hadn't a clue about what to do with penalties. Of course the other one that comes to mind is Jim Calder. A very good keeper and excellent penalty stopper and IMO is the only one who can challenge Esson for the mantle. The fact that he was a bit of showman too also helped endear himself to the fans. Could he have played at SPL level though? That's the thing. Obviously Tuffey is a good keeper as well, but he hasn't had enough games (not yet anyway). But is there anyone else really of any note? Zibi? McRichie? Fraser? Walker? Fridge!!?? Of course none of this lot were half as good as Esson, so that begs the question - Ryan Esson, is the he ICT's best ever goalie?

I don't think there is much doubt that Ryan Esson is, by a mile, ICT's best ever keeper. It is only a scandal that this has not been recognised at International level. OK, I know that McGregor and Gordon are rightly numbers 1 and 2 but why Ryan can't make the number 3 spot is a disgrace.

• Agree 1

For me there are only 3 keepers worthy of being called our top keeper - Esson, Brown or Calder. Tuffey may also be added to that list in time if/when he gets his chance.

As you said, Brown was a great shot stopper for ICT but his weakness - if it is really one - is that he didnt seem able to save penalties. Calder on the other hand was great at saving penalties and being a bit flamboyant but his shot stopping was not on a par with Brown. I would have loved to have seen what a younger Calder as a full-time footballer may have achieved. If that had happened then this question might not have been necessary.

Based on performance, I think Esson edges it over those two as he is both a tremendous shot stopper and can also save the odd penalty. He may not have the flamboyance of Jimbo, but he has taken the best qualities of each of the other top two and is a more complete player.

As I mentioned to Hislopsoffsideagain when the points were being compiled, I am delighted that Ryan is leading the standings as traditionally there are certain positions on the park that do not attract votes as readily as others and that is especially true of goalkeepers who tend to get a lot of 3 or 1 point votes but not usually the 5 pointers. Broonie was great for us but never got a sniff of the POY trophy, and neither did Calder as we only just started the award in 2000/01.

As for the other keepers mentioned - they all did a job for us as and when they were here but those three set the bar so high that none of them could measure up to them - even those that had played at a far higher level or even internationally !

Calder is more of a legend for us but Esson is the better keeper. It is close between Brown and Esson but I would maybe just side with Brown at the moment. Both were really good keepers but not good enough to earn an international cap. I know people have backed Esson for a call up but I don't think he is good enough even though he is a really good keeper for us. He gets beat to often by shots from outside the box which dip over him.

If Esson wins Player of the Year, we have a complete starting XI from our 11 winners - Esson, Tokely, Mann, Golabek, Cowie, Black, Keogh, Robson, Hayes, Wilson, Dargo!

As for whether he is good enough for the international scene...well he's a better keeper than Cammy Bell and Jamie Langfield, both of whom have been in Scotland squads.

As for the other keepers mentioned - they all did a job for us

Except Fridge. :unsure:

I seem to remember Fridge doing ok at times. My memory is hazy but I think he was in goals the night we beat the Pars at East End Park in one of the cups when they were still a "scalp" for ICT. It ended up going to ET and pens and he saved some. Made us late going up the road but we did it with a smile on our faces.

I seem to remember Fridge doing ok at times. My memory is hazy but I think he was in goals the night we beat the Pars at East End Park in one of the cups when they were still a "scalp" for ICT. It ended up going to ET and pens and he saved some. Made us late going up the road but we did it with a smile on our faces.

I seem to remember Fridge saving two penalties in one game at Brockville. Was I tripping?

Zibi - hands down

Are you referring to his poor technique?

^ Correct. I was also paying homage to his command of the defence he had in front of him. Please excuse my failed attempt at wit. It's Friday night - I'm tired.

Ryan is without doubt the best keeper we have ever had, no two ways about it. Broonie was also a great shot stopper, but not at penalties, a reaction keeper, but useless at crosses and communicating with his defence.

Jimmy Calder was and still is a legend, part of folklore, and at that time our best keeper, but time moves on and now we have the best we can afford and that's Ryan Esson.

• Agree 1

Ryan Esson, definitely. As has already been said, both Brown and Calder were very good keepers in their own right, but Esson edges it for me. He generally has very good command of his penalty box and is a fantastic shot stopper and communicator. Not to mention his penalty heroics.

Brown was a great shot stopper too, but his kicking was a bit suspect at times and he was absolutely woeful at penalties. Did he ever even save one? It is a little bit harder to compare Esson and Calder due to the difference in leagues that they have played in.

I seem to remember Fridge saving two penalties in one game at Brockville. Was I tripping?

You probably were tripping, but Les did indeed save 2 in the one game - see link below

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/CRABBE%3A+I+HOPE+MY+DOUBLE+SPOT+MISS+WON'T+BE+THE+END%3B+FALKIRK+2...-a061816345

Love the comments by Xausa in this article too....aye right!!

You probably were tripping, but Les did indeed save 2 in the one game - see link below

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/CRABBE%3A+I+HOPE+MY+DOUBLE+SPOT+MISS+WON'T+BE+THE+END%3B+FALKIRK+2...-a061816345

Love the comments by Xausa in this article too....aye right!!

Well Livingston were virtually a Premiership club... in their own minds.

That was supposed to be the last game at Brockville, wasn't it? It wasn't just Alex Totten who was taking souvenirs - wonder if Mark still has the menu from the pie stall?...

Was that not Nicky Walker?

Edited by Beer Monster

He may be our best ever, but is still being ignored in the International clique. Despite the fact that he is in great form and playing first team football regularly, a loan player and a reserve get precedence, mind you, he is probably better out of that set up.

From the Beeb website:-

Goalkeeper Iain Turner has pulled out of the Scotland squad for Sunday's friendly against Brazil and has been replaced by Kilmarnock's Cammy Bell.

Bell recently lost his place in the Killie team to Anssi Jaakkola but will join fellow keepers Craig Gordon and Allan McGregor in the national squad.

Everton's Turner is currently on loan at Preston North End.

• Agree 1