FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Innes leaving at end of season

kencar

For those who may not have heard the post-match interview on Radio Scotland Innes confirmed he is leaving at the end of the season for family reasons.

Good goal tonight but won't be missed IMO.

That's 1 out 14/15/16 futures sorted.

Edited by kencar

As he said, he made it clear to Butcher that he would not be here long term, so it's not as if he deceived anyone when signing for us.

One of the things that Butcher insists on (that wasn't done by some previous managers) is that anyone who wants to be a part of this team base themselves in the area. Innes would only have been allowed to spend time at home with his family one or two days a week...maybe a bit longer during the weeks where we never had a game...and that's a big ask of anyone.

Would have been easy for him to have viewed his time here as being nothing more than a pay cheque but he's been committed, given his best and done a job for us and we should thank him for that. What's more, any time he's spoken to the press or given an interview he's always spoken highly of the club and how much he likes it here.

Don't think he'll have any trouble getting himself a new deal with a club closer to home. In fact, with the exception of maybe the OF, Hearts and Aberdeen (due to location), he'd be a worthwhile signing for any of the rest of the SPL. Took him a couple of games to get settled here, but after that he was fairly dependable and hard working. Had his circumstances been different I would have had no issue with us signing him on a longer deal.

• Agree 5

Don't think he'll have any trouble getting himself a new deal with a club closer to home. In fact, with the exception of maybe the OF, Hearts and Aberdeen (due to location), he'd be a worthwhile signing for any of the rest of the SPL.

He'll be turning 35 in the summer and hasn't impressed that well here (without playing badly either) so i don't agree with him being able to pick up a decent SPL side, Dunfermline possibly as they maybe looking for some experience but when he signed for us last summer we were fighting off teams like Queens, Partick and Dundee for his signature.

Don't think he'll have any trouble getting himself a new deal with a club closer to home. In fact, with the exception of maybe the OF, Hearts and Aberdeen (due to location), he'd be a worthwhile signing for any of the rest of the SPL.

He'll be turning 35 in the summer and hasn't impressed that well here (without playing badly either) so i don't agree with him being able to pick up a decent SPL side, Dunfermline possibly as they maybe looking for some experience but when he signed for us last summer we were fighting off teams like Queens, Partick and Dundee for his signature.

Someones been on Wikipedia...:rolleyes:

Heard Manchester United is interested in him. Shame it's so far away. Why can't it be on his doorstep like it is Berbatov's or Nani's?

Heard this on Sportsound the other night too. It's so difficult to attract players as they have to leave the Central Belt. Their families can come with them but what about the rest of their social circle?

Come off it. It's only a few miles up the road. Plenty of Scottish players go off to play in England, Wales and beyond. It's a bit small-minded to think that Inverness is too far away from the street you were born to play for surely.

Maybe we could attract better players by simply saying, here's something more than a year's contract. Make a life for yourself.

(actually, I'd probably exclude Innes from that rant as he's at an age where there's little chance of a long-term deal, so perhaps he's thinking beyond next season)

• Agree 1

I think he's been a useful addition to the squad although I appreciate others will have see him more often than I have. Maybe I have seen him on his better days but I think he's done a good job in difficult personal circumstances and that he should leave with his head held high and with thanks and best wishes from the fans.