FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Youth teams

madsooz

Was recently talking to a relative of a youngster who had trained with the club youth scheme for approx 6 years and unfortunately was not kept on as he was apparently not likely to make the grade. Whilst I appreciate that the boy will have had expert coaching & invaluable experience when training with the team, my understanding of the club's ethos regarding it being a "family" club has been somewhat shattered. He had a short meeting with the club's trainers at the end of the training season to be given the news that he would not be kept on, but what I find really pretty shameful is that there was no follow-up letter from the club, ie. thanking him for his dedication in respect of attending training regularly every week, wishing him luck in the future etc. It's very easy to see why young boys give up football if they're not more actively encouraged, even though they don't manage to progress further through the youth ranks. No doubt I'll get pelters for posting this, but I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one to have this view? :shrug:

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Seems to me that if boys give up football because they don't get a letter thanking them for turning up to be coached when they have been let go, then they don't have the makings of a possible professional football player in the first place. Isn't the active encouragement in the coaching itself?

I should think that you are talking about the (somewhat unrealistic) expectations of adults, and not those of the boys, because I would have expected all that to be said direct to a youth player at the interview...though he may not remember that part above his disappointment.

I'd not post anything about how the club is perceived by relatives of those not good enough to make the grade, as there is a hidden agenda there and a feeling of resentment. The lad would have been told why and what areas to work on. If it was his attitude that was at fault how do you think he would convey this to his family?

edit - spellnig :tongueincheek:

Edited by PullMyFinger

With all the stories you hear about players (even professional players) being dumped by fax, e.mail and even text, I think it's credit to the coaches that they took the time to sit down and have a proper face to face with the lad.

I'm assuming this is a lad who started at a very young age and not someone who was on a trainee contract. There are many children involved in any football clubs coaching systems. They are given coaching and encouragement throughout their spell of involvement. Some make it to their age group teams and some dont. Those who dont still have the chance to come along and train with the rest and to learn about the game. Of all the hundreds of children who do come through to the more senior levels only a select few will make the grade and become apprentices. And of those only a few will end up with professional contracts. The football clubs provide the facilities and the staff. They do a fantastic job training, coaching and getting teams playing in competitions all over the place. All this takes hard work and dedication and a fair amount of free time spent on the road. Personally, if it was my child, I'd be happy that he or she had the chance of the experience and even happier that he or she was told of their worth face to face and not by any other means.

• Agree 1

I know a woman who's son was in the youth set up at ICT but was dropped at the point there was a huge shake up many years ago and the vitriol she has for ICT is unhealthy. He was taken on at Ross County. Needless to say she's a Celtic fan, "offended by everything. ashamed of nothing". :tongueincheek:

• Agree 1

Has this not always been the case throughout the years. At the end of the day it is an apprenticeship and a valuable experience irrespective of the outcome. It is also big business with money at stake and always another potential player of the future waiting to take the place.

Such rejection can be the downfall of many but it can also be the making of others - in respect that they may look at a career option and playing football at a lower level - or it can be a turning point football wise as it could make some more determined than others to prove the rejecting coaches wrong - and that is often done through reflection on why they did not make the grade - which could be many things - over confidence, not fit enough, arrogance, social behaviours etc., etc.

Many have corrected their faults and failings and came up trumps elsewhere.

• Agree 1

I've got no argument with any of the comments written above - as I said in my initial posting, these boys get invaluable experience during their time with the club, but we need to remember that parents also give up a lot of time & money to-ing & fro-ing kids to the training sessions. I'm quite sure some parents have totally unrealistic exepctations of the capabilities of their kids, and unfortunately the kids bear the brunt of this. That said, I still think it would make good PR sense for the club to issue these lads with some form of official letter after they've left, if only for a keep-sake. The lad I mentioned in my original posting is now playing for another, much smaller team & still loves his football, so it seems like his experience with the club hasn't affected him too much.

Looks like parents making a lot of fuss over nothing...whilst they're busy going round mumping and moaning about a pointless piece of paper, the lad seems to have taken it on the chin and moved on.

Makes you wonder who it is that really wants/needs the piece of paper...I suspect it's the parents.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Having seen the cringeworthy antics of some parents at street league and youth level,some seem to assume if wee Johnny is "training with the Caley/County" they are virtually semi professional and it's merely a matter of time before their wee prodigy is spotted and moved on to greater things, it must come as a great blow to discover the next Dalglish isn't coming from their family!

• Agree 3

I find it quite amusing that some have assumed (wrongly incidentally) that the parents in question "mumped & moaned" about their kid not getting a piece of paper from the club. This was totally my opinion & not one of anyone else - not being a parent myself I couldn't begin to comment on how they feel about wee Johnny not becoming a semi-professional at the age of 15 or whatever, but I thought that as the club put themselves forward as being a "family" club then it would be good for the kids to have some sort of recognition for their time training with the club. My posting was not for or on behalf of the parents, but for the kids who I think need encouraged with good role models like the club?

So, what would the club write in this letter.

Dear Player,

It is with regret that we write to inform you that you are just not good enough to progress further within our development system but thanks, all the same, for being involved in our coaching sessions.

Yours etc.

Personally I think that face to face honesty is a lot better than the words that could be put in any letter.

• Agree 1

So, it's just you that's having a moan at the club for....for.....a young lad not making the grade and getting a thankyou letter from the club who already told him he was not what they required :shrug:

I'm guessing you've either been in employment for a large number of years with one employer or not had to go to interviews for other jobs? The point I am trying to make is if you have been to interviews for other jobs of how many of them have you had a response letter to say that you haven't got the job but thanks for applying and good luck for the future? I would suggest that not many have actually replied as has been the case for me over the years, most don't even acknowledge that you have applied.

Yes you will say that this is football but at the end of the day it is a business. At least they sat down with the youngster in question and spoke through things with him and explained why, do you really want to be giving youngsters letters saying well thanks for attending but to be honest you're not good enough. Surely the experience that he gained during his time at the club along with the memory and words of advice he was no doubtedly given would be far beneficial to him in future years. Some teams I am sure don't even go to this lengths with youth players.

How long do you want to hold youngsters hands and tip toe them through life? Remember also that clubs prop these youth teams up themselves and it is really only the first team that generates the actual income at the end of the day so how much money do you throw at it and how far down does this money go?

May I offer my humble apologies to all those I have offended by voicing such ridiculous opinions - you can rest assured I will try my very best not to do so again and I promise to continue to read some of the amazing drivel posted elsewhere on this site by those with greater expertise than I??

Yours truly etc ................. :nanananana:

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Was recently talking to a relative of a youngster who had trained with the club youth scheme for approx 6 years and unfortunately was not kept on as he was apparently not likely to make the grade. Whilst I appreciate that the boy will have had expert coaching & invaluable experience when training with the team, my understanding of the club's ethos regarding it being a "family" club has been somewhat shattered. He had a short meeting with the club's trainers at the end of the training season to be given the news that he would not be kept on, but what I find really pretty shameful is that there was no follow-up letter from the club, ie. thanking him for his dedication in respect of attending training regularly every week, wishing him luck in the future etc. It's very easy to see why young boys give up football if they're not more actively encouraged, even though they don't manage to progress further through the youth ranks. No doubt I'll get pelters for posting this, but I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one to have this view? :shrug:

:shrug: Indeed

I agree a simple short letter would have been a nice token and would have been if anything good PR by the club

Maybe this and the reducing of costs for match day concession tickets(see other thread) should be now looked or at the very least reviewed

Anyway highlighting these subjects on here can't do any harm maybe the supporters trust or whatever they call themselves these days can put them to the club at their next meeting

dougal

May I offer my humble apologies to all those I have offended by voicing such ridiculous opinions - you can rest assured I will try my very best not to do so again and I promise to continue to read some of the amazing drivel posted elsewhere on this site by those with greater expertise than I??

Yours truly etc ................. :nanananana:

Please don't stop posting and expressing your views. A forum like this is good to read because people do hold different views and it is good to debate the various issues. There are times when sincerely held views are seen as silly or naive by others and the response is a bit more flippant than you would like and there is some gentle micky taking - hopefully nobody has gone beyond that and been offensive on this thread but that may be a matter of opinion. A forum needs people who are prepared to say what they think and who don't mind when people reply in ways you might not expect. Take Dougal for instance, he has taken more stick than anyone (often unfairly IMHO) but it doesn't stop him making further contributions. To what extent he believes all he writes I neither know nor care. All I know is that this forum would be a poorer place without him.

In this case, you are on the receiving end because you have come across as very indignant about something others see as a non issue. I happen to agree that it would be nice if the youngsters wrote a letter but in no way is it bad that they don't. In fact, there is more reason for the youngsters to write a note of thanks to the club for the opportunity they have been given and I wonder how many do that! The club will have helped to make each and every youngster that does not make the grade a better player. What they learn at the club will help them to play at a better standard and enjoy their football more whether it be with a lower league club or just a local Sunday side. I don't think the club has any more obligation to them. I think that is why people felt your earnest sense of injustice was totally OTT and why responses were the way they were.

Don't take offence. Keep posting and and give as good as you get.

And here's me setting myself up. You probably don't mean a word you say and your real response is summarised by your :nanananana: .

• Agree 6

Oh DoofersDad - I think I love you (only hope you're not 18 or I'm in BIG trouble!) :love03: At times it feels as though a personal opinion is not acceptable to diehard posters on this forum - the way I look at it is that everyone's opinion counts, whether or not everyone agrees or disagrees? Are we not all ICT fans after all?? Right - gurn over!

Are we not all ICT fans after all??

Erm, I'm not!! :nanananana: ,however, Doofers dads right, don't take offence and carry on posting yer thoughts and opinions,it's what makes message boards interesting.When you are the original poster of a topic it can feel like all and sundry are taking a pop but usually they are just throwing their own opinion into the thread,at least the topic is interesting enough to stimulate discussion and input.